NHL 18 Information/Discussion Thread | Part II

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Experienced the loop glitch for the second time last night. Tied 1-1 in EASHL until the very end, the other team scores with two seconds left, game loops back 40 seconds but still shows the other team winning 2-1. I score about 15 seconds later and then it says we're winning 2-1. Then they scored again and it was 2-2 going into OT :laugh: We win the game in OT. Definitely didn't deserve that one.

Other time happened after a fight. I fought a guy, won, but our team didn't get any energy, so I was a little confused. Then I realize that I'm still on the ice rather than in the box and the controls for fighting and the health bar are permanently on the bottom of the screen for the final two periods. Super annoying. They have to fix that. The club has played like 10 games and it's happened twice. Way too high. One of them changed the outcome of the game.

If it only happens to you I say they leave the fighting thing in. It was hilarious!

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Oh really? You need to defend the slot?

How unrealistic

Well it's quite unrealistic when the opponent flies down the wing 20 times a game and tries the same pass over and over until it works. Tell me, how often you see that in a real game, or did you just need to let off some steam and be condescending this morning?

It's entirely different when my opponent has an open pass and takes advantage.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I barely read any of that wall of text. It's so goddamn much.

I don't get how people have such an issue with the passing. You either need to aim it better or fix the pass assist or other gameplay sliders. I have no issue with passing. Sometimes yeah behind the net it'll pass to the far side player instead of the close person open I wanted but it happens. I can easily bank passes and aim my passes without issue.

The AI is also miles ahead of NHL 17 and the defense is way better especially with the new controls. My CPU also rarely if ever takes penalties.

Yeah at first I took a bunch before I adjusted. Don't jam poke check 24/7 in players skates and you won't get a ton of tripping calls or stick lift when you know you have no chance of lifting the stick. It's asking for a call. Like come on.

I do share a lot of the same BAP complaints however. In your own zone if they score I get so many negatives like bad defense or cover open man, it's like but uh, that wasn't my man? Seems like my team play is always taking a hard hit because of stupid stuff. And if I try too hard to play defense I'll be in the box with even worse ratings. I definitely think they need to focus more on the type of player you are and other things you do instead of one mistake costing you so much when you see line mates or other teammates ****ing up like crazy and they don't suffer from it haha.

But this is just my opinion of course.

I did mention sliders and my attempts to fix the problems with them in my post...

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Playing 3s in Eashl is such a bad experience. People just spam the defensive skill stick and the slightest contact knocks the puck off your stick. Then on defense you can't touch them because they are constantly doing this zig zag thing that makes them basically untouchable.

Last edited:

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/146691/nhl-18-patch-tuner-notes

CONTENT UPDATE 1 - (Available Sept. 19th, 2017)

General
-Added option for Champions League Aggregate Scoring
-Improved faceoff formations during 3 on 3 play.

NHL® THREES
-Added updates to prevent players from moving before they were visible on screen after play resumes from a stoppage in NHL® THREES
-Added ability to change team strategies in NHL® THREES gameplay
-Updates to faceoff camera timing in NHL® THREES

Puck Physics
-Updates to improve stick on puck collisions during poke checks
-More accurate stick on puck physics volume collisions during Defensive Skill Stick.

Offensive and Defensive AI
-Improved AI puck carriers in 1-on-0 situations during play and in shootouts
-Updates to Defensive AI decision making so that they stay with their check more consistently
-Updates for AI teammates that would skate into shooting lanes instead of standing in better positions to deflect the shot or get the rebound instead.
-Updates to AI shooting logic during penalty shots.
-Logic updates for AI goalie pull situations.
-Improved shot logic for the AI
-Improved positioning for offensive AI players away from the puck so that they take their stick position/handedness into account more and position themselves and adjust their facing better based on their intention.
-Added improvements for AI skaters that would switch to skating backwards during breakouts.

Coaching Feedback/On Ice Trainer
-Added new videos and Training to Hockey Canada Training Camp
-Support added for button dekes in coaching feedback and Hockey Canada Training Camp

Offense
-Added the ability to blend back into skating faster out of deking
-Various shot animation improvements
-Added improvements to skaters that were missing the puck too often if they were directed to perform a shot without picking up the puck first (one timers and shots from loose pucks).

Defense
-Updates to improve animation blend issues out of shot blocks.
-Improvements added for players doing a board pinch when the puck position didn't make sense for it.
-Blending improvements when transitioning into defensive skill stick.
-Updates to allow the Defensive Skill Stick state to override hit intent if the hit hasn't started to be thrown yet. This allows players to be on and off RB/R1 without letting go of the right stick.
-Updates to improve an issue where the Defensive Skill Stick state caused user skaters to lose pickup functionality
-Added in variance of error to the new poke check system based on player control, direction from the players facing and relative speed of the puck. This means that a player is most accurate when skating in a controlled manner and poking a still puck in front of themselves and least accurate when poking against their momentum behind themselves at a fast-moving puck. Each of these factors are also tied to the player's attribute ratings.
-Improved hip check controls to prevent clashes
-Poke check animation assets improved for increased poke checking accuracy before any error is added.
-Added reaction delay based on a player’s awareness after a puck is deflected off a stick/body as players were reacting too quickly to defensive deflections.

Goalies
-Better precision when detecting puck position during saves for User goalies.
-Responsiveness updates to User goalie butterfly motion.
-Added updates to help User goalies challenging shots and tracking the puck. If a user is requesting to move towards the puck, allow the requested motion to transfer into the upcoming save but if the shot is back against the grain, it will not add in momentum to the save.
-Updated save logic to reduce issues that were causing the user goalie to make save attempts on pucks that were far from the net.
-Improved responsiveness for actions after quickly switching into control of the goalie
-Added updates to prevent goalies from knocking their net off in EASHL as an exploit.
-Added the ability for flinching saves to abort sooner when the puck is deflected away from the net.
-Improved responsiveness when blending in and out of saves for goalies.
-Added new VH poke coverage.
-Added logic to read how much the goalie should lean based on the puck position as they slide into butterfly leans. This allows for better blends and ability to seal off more of the net on the side where the puck is.
-Various animation improvements for saves where a goalie’s limbs were clipping with each other.
-Updates to prevent an issue where a user goalie was unable to move post-to-post after a poke check.
-Updated some saves that were causing the puck to deflect into a goalie's net.

Hockey Canada Training Camp
-Improved end of game flow to allow users to pick next training item.
-Added the option to select training item from pause.
-Added the ability to play videos from Training Camp pause screen

HUT
-Added an auto-fill option in Edit Lines. This option will allow a user to automatically replace all the players in their lineup based on player overall and position.
-The end of round Competitive Seasons reward screen will now show in the HUT HUB rather than the user needing to enter the season to claim their rewards.
-Removed the 1-minute grace period for offline and online games. Game will now count right at puck drop

-Improved Online Coop Matchup Load Screen to allows users to see more information about their teammates/opponents for team composition and latency for all online game modes (e.g., Online Vs., HUT, Threes Online, etc.) except for EASHL
-Adding Team Overall to matchmaking rules to all online game modes (e.g., Online Vs., HUT, Threes Online, etc.) except for EASHL
-PS4 controller light will now match the Game Setup and gameplay player color indicator
-Updated the Game Setup screen functionalities in online game types (e.g., HUT, Online Vs. Threes Online, etc.)
-Display Offense, Defense and Goalie ratings by default
-Remapped the Ready button to tile option
-Remapped the Settings tile to a button
-Resolved an issue where users would crash when performing goalie swaps in the intermission pause menu for HUT, Draft Champions, and Online Vs.

EASHL
Added the ability to award a penalty shot in EASHL 3s rather than go on a 4-on-3 or 5-on-3 Power Play.
Fighting turned off in EASHL 3s.
3-on-3 strategies added to EASHL.

Game Modes
-Added Season Modes for additional leagues (EBEL, HockeyAllsvenskan, and the Champions Hockey League Tournament)
-Added Division Re-Alignment to Franchise Mode. This allows the user to move teams around within the divisions before the start of a Franchise Mode.
-Added the ability to allow the user to edit their custom or relocated team’s jersey and mascot during the offseason in Franchise
-Added the ability to see all the CPU lines in View Lines
-Added the ability to allow a user to change strategies in 3-on-3 Overtime
-Added the ability to view all the pending free agents in the upcoming FA class as well as 2 and 3 years out in the Pending FA Screen.
-Added a “Sim to Regular Season” option in quick links during the preseason
-Added the option to view player information on the offer sheet pop-up
-Added the option to decline a trade and change your trade block in a CPU trade offer
-Added option to switch teams while in the trade screen in the player select pop-up
-Improved FA logic where Team Chemistry is still taken into consideration deep into Free Agency when they should be willing to lessen demands.
-Improvements added to correctly apply stats growth to a player who received stat growth the previous year.
-Added updates to help resolve an issue with Scouting showing semi-accurate potentials of players that should be Unknown potentials.
-Improvements added to prevent the morale of a player being set to “angry” immediately after signing in Free Agency.

Audio
-Added in Birthday goal calls in EASHL
-Added in various speech improvements

Presentation
-Added in the EBEL Championship Sequence with trophy
-Added in the Champions Hockey League Championship sequence with trophy
-Added in a Champions Hockey League mode unique wipe
-Various camera improvements for environment geometry blocking play

Art
-Added Away uniform for Ottawa Senators
-Added Away uniform for Toronto Maple Leafs
-Added Away uniforms Nashville Predators
-Added CCM Premier 2 Goalie Pad Set
-Improved Portland Winterhawks Uniform

Hockey Canada and Training Camp Videos
-Added 4 New Button Deke videos
-Added better shot quality changes, better shots and sizzles for 8 Hybrid & 94 Controls videos
-Updated the audio from Ray Ferraro in 3 Skill Stick videos (Shot Aim, Faceoff Draw, Faceoff Tie-Up)
-Added/Improved 8 Hockey Canada Rules Videos:
-Offside - Shot Improvement
-Icing
-High Sticking
-Delay of Game
-Tripping
-Interference
-Penalty Shot
-Goalie Delay of Game
-Added 5 Hockey Canada Goalie Videos
-T-Push vs. Strafe
-Angles vs. Positions
-Butterfly
-Butterfly Slides
-Hug Post

Last edited:

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Maybe some of the EA whiners will quit *****ing for awhile...

Seems EA fixed and added in A LOT of what people were complaining about in EVERY MODE!

I for one am happy.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
EASHL
Added the ability to award a penalty shot in EASHL 3s rather than go on a 4-on-3 or 5-on-3 Power Play.
Fighting turned off in EASHL 3s.
3-on-3 strategies added to EASHL.

That is nice.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Anyone not have the Addias Nashville away jersey even after downloading the patch? I had this issue in Nhl 17 as well where everything would update except for the jerseys. I'm on PS4 if that matters.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
What time is the patch?

It's been out since like 5-6am...

Anyone not have the Addias Nashville away jersey even after downloading the patch? I had this issue in Nhl 17 as well where everything would update except for the jerseys. I'm on PS4 if that matters.

Hm I just looked myself in Play Now and NSH TO etc still haven't been updated on mine either (Xbox).

Yet I do see the new modes n other stuff added. Weird.

I even updated rosters to the latest online.

No idea. I'll look around.

Edit : best I found was they most like correlate to the online rosters so we have to wait until we get a new one. No idea when's that is, or if it's accurate.

Last edited:

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Only thing I want to see now is custom rosters in expansion mode. Even if they make us sim through a year with no team control and then have an expansion draft, that'd be cool. I mean, they included division alignment.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Lots of good stuff in that patch. Just skimming it I didn't see anything about fixing the game loop glitch that seems to happen in about 10-20% of online games. Had it happen again last night. Other team ran over our goalie so we got the indicator to fight the guy and one of my teammates went for it. They both dropped the gloves and then all of a sudden they were at the faceoff about 2 minutes prior and no fight ever took place. They had the fight controls and the health bar at the bottom of the screen though. I really hope that gets fixed soon. It didn't really change the game as we were winning by quite a bit, but it certainly could in the wrong situation.

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
The ratings in CHL is such a joke. You can tell it was done by a clueless person at random

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ayyyyy they updated Franchise Mode to allow re-alignment. So you can put your 32nd team in any division.

Edit; you need to move a team over to the Central though

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ayyyyy they updated Franchise Mode to allow re-alignment. So you can put your 32nd team in any division.

Edit; you need to move a team over to the Central though

You can also apparently edit your custom 32nd or relocated franchises jerseys and mascots in the off-season.

boltsy

Jun 22, 2017
Too bad that there are still no current rosters in the 32nd team expansion mode... Hope this will come soon. Impressive update though, like EA's work now.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Playing 3s in Eashl is such a bad experience. People just spam the defensive skill stick and the slightest contact knocks the puck off your stick. Then on defense you can't touch them because they are constantly doing this zig zag thing that makes them basically untouchable.

Git gud.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
You can't update contract extensions in edit player with the new patch for franchise mode. I updated the patch before I saw the Koivu extension so now I can't edit that in.

I tinkered with the ratings just a bit and I'm trying to extend Brady Skjei and he wants $7.5 million on a 4 year deal. $8.4 million on a 5 year deal.

jamielang

Jun 4, 2017
Moscow
Hmm... Guys, how did you download this 1.02 patch? I just saw a picture in main menu with NAS, TOR and OTT players and their new jerseys. But it's just a preview, without download. It's strange, but my PS4 announced about this patch and downloaded it few hours ago. And still old NAS jersey, and others...

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Hmm... Guys, how did you download this 1.02 patch? I just saw a picture in main menu with NAS, TOR and OTT players and their new jerseys. But it's just a preview, without download. It's strange, but my PS4 announced about this patch and downloaded it few hours ago. And still old NAS jersey, and others...

Yep still no new jerseys for Preds, Sens or Leafs

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
You can't update contract extensions in edit player with the new patch for franchise mode. I updated the patch before I saw the Koivu extension so now I can't edit that in.

I tinkered with the ratings just a bit and I'm trying to extend Brady Skjei and he wants $7.5 million on a 4 year deal. $8.4 million on a 5 year deal.

Maybe lower him from 95 overall ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad