Hockey Ultimate Team: NHL 18 HUT Thread (All HUT talk goes here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
EA has to fix their damn matchmaking in CS.

Spent a good portion of the day trying to get into the Top 100 (currently something like 130), played like 8 games, they were ALL against people ranked like ~5000, got like 6 points per win, lol. Basically, I started the day ranked 85, I actually played games, didn't lose a single game, and dropped 50 ranking spots.

And I'm sure those other players loved playing someone ranked in the top 200 too.

Ugh, this isn't good or fair for anybody.

How the matchmaking should work is that you should never be able to win or lose more than ~60 points per game. I'd be willing to wait 5 minutes to find a game instead of wasting 20 minutes playing a game where my reward is 5 points.

As it stands, ranking high is as much skill as it is pure luck that you actually get matched up with people fairly close to you.

I lost close to 200 points last night in a game and it dropped me like 2000 ranking spots, I outshot the guy 33-5. He won 2-0.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
EA has to fix their damn matchmaking in CS.

Spent a good portion of the day trying to get into the Top 100 (currently something like 130), played like 8 games, they were ALL against people ranked like ~5000, got like 6 points per win, lol. Basically, I started the day ranked 85, I actually played games, didn't lose a single game, and dropped 50 ranking spots.

And I'm sure those other players loved playing someone ranked in the top 200 too.

Ugh, this isn't good or fair for anybody.

How the matchmaking should work is that you should never be able to win or lose more than ~60 points per game. I'd be willing to wait 5 minutes to find a game instead of wasting 20 minutes playing a game where my reward is 5 points.

As it stands, ranking high is as much skill as it is pure luck that you actually get matched up with people fairly close to you.

I was interested in HUT this year but got burnt after being matched against two top 200 players in 2/3 of my first games. Lost 1-3 and 0-8. In the 0-8 gane 5 of the goals were scored from faceoffs in my zone, couldn't even do anything since it was lost face off+quick slapper/one timer.

Not exactly easy being up against good players that also have Bossy and Tarasenko on the fourth line and defensemen that are way faster than my forwards.

Pretty absurd when I had to deke past the same defenseman three times to get an oportunity to shoot. I try to play a quick passing game normally but it's impossible when everyone is shut down by elite players.

Back to vs-mode.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
In some games you get a handicap when the other player is stacked, in blood bowl you have team value and the player with lower value get to make up the difference with boost cards/renting players.

Would be fine with facing good players if I could loan as many legend cards as they have.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Just picked up Hero Macinnis for 65k (Buy Now price). What the hell was the seller thinking on that one?

Last edited:

PensFan12

Apr 12, 2016
Last night, I played about 10 games trying to move up the rankings in comp seasons, I won all of them but one game. All the games that I won, I got anywhere from 1-20 season points. The one game I lose, they take away 320 points... I drop from 900 to 5000. It was all a big waste of time. Those games that I won didn’t even help me move up and then I lose a huge amount for one game

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Hard, but doable. I pull my goalie in order to get a tie and an extra 2 minutes to shoot the puck, if that can help you

EXTREMELY frustrating to do. It's not easy. You have to result to ridiculous thing to either extend the game and ****.

My strategy was to shoot low and go for rebounds. I also did pull my goalie and extended the game. I ended up getting 17. To me, it's the hardest challenges. Hits are easy for me, face-offs I just let the AI take it. No penalties is very easy, certain amount of goals I can rely on empty nets. Shots is very difficult, especially 25 on Superstar. Plus, I was busy a lot over the 24 hours and didn't have a lot of chances to try it.

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
My strategy was to shoot low and go for rebounds. I also did pull my goalie and extended the game. I ended up getting 17. To me, it's the hardest challenges. Hits are easy for me, face-offs I just let the AI take it. No penalties is very easy, certain amount of goals I can rely on empty nets. Shots is very difficult, especially 25 on Superstar. Plus, I was busy a lot over the 24 hours and didn't have a lot of chances to try it.

I thought the -have 8 more shots than your opponent- challenge was actually harder. But breakaway goals are the worst... I never get any breakaways against the CPU.

On another note, I have Kurri and Gaborik (both FB cards) on my first and boy oh boy are they good, they really change the dynamic of my team. Grab them if you can !

Lehnerd Skinnerd

Sponsor
Feb 10, 2008
Thunder Bay, ON
25 shots against Superstar?! Come on, EA..
Yeah, definitely frustrating. I managed to do the co-op one with my second controller locked on RD and sitting idle after many tries. So doing it with a full team this time was a little easier and only took a couple tries.

Definitely adjust your team strategies if you haven’t already. Go full attack on everything and crash the net for all 4 lines.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Servers are really messed tonight. A lot of games not counting, or when they do count you don’t get coins for them and they don’t show up in your recent games list.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Can I just say how f***ing sick I am of this game not switching you to the defender in the slot?
Didn't win the division title because instead of going to OT, I lost in regulation because I was switching to EVERY player except the open defender in the slot. Guess who didn't block the shot? My open defender.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Can I just say how ****ing sick I am of this game not switching you to the defender in the slot?
Didn't win the division title because instead of going to OT, I lost in regulation because I was switching to EVERY player except the open defender in the slot. Guess who didn't block the shot? My open defender.

I swear the game sometimes purposely does this to annoy people. 5 players on the ice and it manages to cycle through the 4 players that are furthest away.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Finally having pack luck for once. Random Gold Plus pack got me Pietrangelo, TOTW collectible, Prime Time, Gold collectible AND a FB Collectible.

Pure madness in my packs this year. I've pulled 4 legends.

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
Finally having pack luck for once. Random Gold Plus pack got me Pietrangelo, TOTW collectible, Prime Time, Gold collectible AND a FB Collectible.

Pure madness in my packs this year. I've pulled 4 legends.

Wow ! That's great ! I wish I had the same luck ! I did pull an EVO card... but it was Werenski... we'll see.

I bought a bunch of Milestone collectibles (45) and they all sold for over 5k super quickly, it was a good investment ! It's a good week for Milestone because the players are great (Stamkos, Ovechkin). Weirdly enough, I got a Bergeron (88), which seems to be in last week Milestone collection... I don't complain, he's my first now and has a (S) synergy, so that's cool.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Well, I finally got lucky in CS this round and played (and won) against someone close to me in rank.

All the way up to #5 now. We'll see how long that stays.

Reactions: Narg98

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
Well, I finally got lucky in CS this round and played (and won) against someone close to me in rank.

All the way up to #5 now. We'll see how long that stays.

Good job. The best I ever did was something like 22... I don't have the patience to play too many games! Also, I'm not that good :P.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Good job. The best I ever did was something like 22... I don't have the patience to play too many games! Also, I'm not that good :P.

Thankfully I "only" had to play 7 games this season to reach #5. That shows you how ****** the matchmaking is, because there are people below me that have played like 20 games (and won all 20), but because a lot of their wins came against really lowly ranked opponents, it was a waste of time for them.

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
I personally only play the 2 qualification games and then I wait a lot, until I'm in top 5000 and then I play again against low ranks and I usually rank up quite easily. Then, I do a boost of 2-3 games few hours before the end of the round. I usually stop when I'm in the top 1000 because I don't have a good enough team to play against higher teams.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I personally only play the 2 qualification games and then I wait a lot, until I'm in top 5000 and then I play again against low ranks and I usually rank up quite easily. Then, I do a boost of 2-3 games few hours before the end of the round. I usually stop when I'm in the top 1000 because I don't have a good enough team to play against higher teams.

Yeah, it depends on my work schedule and what I have planned on my days off. Sometimes I'll do what you do too. It generally pays to wait because you get more points per win if you're starting off lower.

Reactions: Narg98

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Mentioned the stuff I had to sell... Made 90k. Bought 4 Gold Plus packs and pulled base Malkin in the third pack. Got some other stuff here and there that equally way more than I spent.

My luck is off the walls. My top line would be Lanny McDonald, Malkin and St. Louis based off what I kept from packs. I had Niedermayer and Sittler, but sold them quickly. I had Bure as well, but sold him quick after I sniped him. I'll get that beaut soon since I'm at like 450k right now

So glad I actually had some pack luck for once. I desperately need LH shots at defensemen right now. I have some good defensemen for RH shits (base Letang, Weber and Karlsson for now) but my LHD aren't good. I'm tempted to buy an Evo Ghost... He's cheap right now.

SmCurse

Sep 4, 2013
I played HUT challenges yesterday and got a ONE minute penalty. One minute for tripping...so I guess it was not that bad.

I guess the the game meant it was supposed to be 1 minute of one man advantage because both teams had a player in the box but it wasn't.

HammerTime44

Flyers-Phillies-Packers-LH44
Feb 11, 2014
Philadelphia
Wow ! That's great ! I wish I had the same luck ! I did pull an EVO card... but it was Werenski... we'll see.

I bought a bunch of Milestone collectibles (45) and they all sold for over 5k super quickly, it was a good investment ! It's a good week for Milestone because the players are great (Stamkos, Ovechkin). Weirdly enough, I got a Bergeron (88), which seems to be in last week Milestone collection... I don't complain, he's my first now and has a (S) synergy, so that's cool.

Pretty sure your supposed to get players that were released the week before in the milestone sets not the ones released during the current week. So next week you would be able to get Stamkos and Ovi.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Mentioned the stuff I had to sell... Made 90k. Bought 4 Gold Plus packs and pulled base Malkin in the third pack. Got some other stuff here and there that equally way more than I spent.

My luck is off the walls. My top line would be Lanny McDonald, Malkin and St. Louis based off what I kept from packs. I had Niedermayer and Sittler, but sold them quickly. I had Bure as well, but sold him quick after I sniped him. I'll get that beaut soon since I'm at like 450k right now

So glad I actually had some pack luck for once. I desperately need LH shots at defensemen right now. I have some good defensemen for RH ****s (base Letang, Weber and Karlsson for now) but my LHD aren't good. I'm tempted to buy an Evo Ghost... He's cheap right now.

Packs seemed juiced tonight. I bought one with coins and pulled TOTW Subban. Sold him, bought a few more, ended up with like 4 FB collectibles, 2 gold collectibles, a PT collectible, and a SOTM collectible. Also pulled that 87 Wheeler, Pietrangelo, TOTW Oshie, Halloween Braun and Taylor Hall.

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
Pretty sure your supposed to get players that were released the week before in the milestone sets not the ones released during the current week. So next week you would be able to get Stamkos and Ovi.
That's a weird system, but all right. I guess I'll hoard those collectibles again because I did a sweet profit with a MS collection that was not especially attractive. I'm very lucky I got a Bergeron then.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Just opened two more packs and got TOTW Backstrom and Carey Price. This is madness.

:edit:

another pack - Ghost's EVO card now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad