Speculation: Next years New Players.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Hoping Dubas adds Dillon through UFAgency and keeps the 15 pick. We can get a good defenseman there i think personally from what limited knowledge i have of this draft. I wouldn’t mind a couple more draft picks first couple rounds this year actually if more players are being traded. Freddy absolutely gets another first if moved. Not that I’m indifferent to moving him. I like Andersen.

Ideally, I'd probably prefer any defenceman added to be acquired through UFA rather than through trade as well. Much depends though on who can be added, the associated cost, and to how significant of an extent the pairings are to be shaken up. I'm leaning towards expecting the team to have a new starting goalie at this point. Draft picks are good. A quality team is better. Have to see how a balance is achieved between the two.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Ideally, I'd probably prefer any defenceman added to be acquired through UFA rather than through trade as well. Much depends though on who can be added, the associated cost, and to how significant of an extent the pairings are to be shaken up. I'm leaning towards expecting the team to have a new starting goalie at this point. Draft picks are good. A quality team is better. Have to see how a balance is achieved between the two.
I assume Liljegren can play 3rd pair RHD and gain some greatly needed development time there. I think he is solid enough defensively considering his lack of Nhl expierence. Barrie and Ceci gone doesn’t hurt my feelings i know that.

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I think that depends on the player, Marner was too good for the OHL after TO drafted him, sending him back caused resentment by him and basically wasted a year of his hockey life. Marner could've played the 4th line better than any Leaf 4th liner the year after he was drafted. Spending time in the NHL that year might have made him more prepared for his next year. TO did the same thing with Nylander even tho Nylander was a far superior player than the majority of players on the roster at that time, essentially TO wasted 2 prime productive earning years of Nylander's career.

Did TO accomplish anything by not graduating Marner and Nylander right after they were drafted, they both stagnated by being held back, they should've been playing in the NHL and they probably would be on considerably cheaper contracts now.
Marner was not ready for the NHL . He combined with Dvorak and Tkachuck to make a solid junior line played a shitload of minutes and won Memorial Cup. You should be proud the Leafs have somebody on their roster that has won something. I personally believe you should leave them in junior as long as you can for their bodies to mature. Sure the talent is there but playing with men isn't good for their health.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Marner was not ready for the NHL . He combined with Dvorak and Tkachuck to make a solid junior line played a shitload of minutes and won Memorial Cup. You should be proud the Leafs have somebody on their roster that has won something. I personally believe you should leave them in junior as long as you can for their bodies to mature. Sure the talent is there but playing with men isn't good for their health.
Marner won every major award that could be won thar season. Except top defenseman:)

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I assume Liljegren can play 3rd pair RHD and gain some greatly needed development time there. I think he is solid enough defensively considering his lack of Nhl expierence. Barrie and Ceci gone doesn’t hurt my feelings i know that.

I think Lehtonen might be there instead of Liljegren (or Sandin)...at least to start with. Still, I'm sure those on the outside looking in will receive opportunities at points throughout the season. Agree about Barrie and Ceci. Barrie doesn't really fit in on either of the top two pairings. Even if Ceci could fit in on the bottom pairing alongside a more inexperienced option, I'd still prefer to make a change there due to not wanting to return too much of the same group on defence.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I think Lehtonen might be there instead of Liljegren (or Sandin)...at least to start with. Still, I'm sure those on the outside looking in will receive opportunities at points throughout the season. Agree about Barrie and Ceci. Barrie doesn't really fit in on either of the top two pairings. Even if Ceci could fit in on the bottom pairing alongside a more inexperienced option, I'd still prefer to make a change there due to not wanting to return too much of the same group on defence.
Ceci was better here than he was given credit for. I'd take him back for 3rd pairing duties at a suitable cap hit.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Just came up with this lineup.
Traded Johnsson to Cgy for Bennett plus pick.
Traded Dermott to Edm for a pick
Traded Kerfoot to Det for a pick
Signed Spezza for 900k×1
Signed Simmonds for 1M×1
Signed Maroon for 1.5M×2
Signed Mikheyev for 1.5M×2
Signed Tanev for 4M ×4
Signed Demelo for 2.5M ×3
Comes to roughly 81,086,000

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Robertson Tavares Marner
Mikheyev Spezza Barabanov
Maroon Bennett Simmonds
Engvall

Rielly Tanev
Muzzin Holl
Lehtonen Demelo

Andersen
Campbell

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I don't recall any resentment from Marner or Nylander for not playing in the NHL sooner. Is there any reference to that? As for playing on the third/fourth line, I have to disagree. Both players had very productive and impressive first year in the NHL. There was talk of one time that Matthews, Marnwr and Nylander could all compete for the Calder trophy for rookie of the year (but that was Toronto media). So going back to saying that those players were stagnant by being held back, I have to disagree. It had not really impede there development. As for being more defensive, that is/was a coaching system/philosophy. We will have to wait and see what Keefe's coaching will do for these players and the team.

Of course I was just venturing my opinion but I don't see why it was necessary to send players of obvious NHL quality back to leagues where they'd already proved they were too good for. Was Marner ready, I think he was, was he angry, I think his contract negotiations proved that. If Marner was treated properly, if Nylander was treated properly they probably would've trusted the Leaf hierarchy more, felt more part of the team and may have been more willing to accept lesser contracts. Nylander actually had Babs in his corner, Babs wanted Nylander to be on the team after training camp, he also wanted Brown, but it was decided by Lou that they needed to be returned to the "A".

Lou might have had the long range plan(TO tanking) as part of his decision in returning those players but those players basically gave up a year's salary for TO's greater good, not for theirs. I'd be resentful.

Marner might have won the Calder if he didn't have to compete with AM his first year.

We saw Marner spend a great deal of time in his first year on Kadri's line with Marleau and by the end of his rookie year he was driving that line, he gave Kadri another 30 goal year, he made Marleau look like he was still a player. Players don't go from being not ready for the NHL to line drivers when they finally get into the NHL. Look at Marner's record in his last year in junior and compare it to his draft year, he played his predraft year to show his NHL readiness, his year after he was pissed he was demoted, sulked for about 30 games, in other words stagnated, then someone must have told him that his play would probably keep him out of the NHL and he turned it on.

I wouldn't ever expect players to publicly express their frustrations because there are more subtle ways like asking for too much in contract negotiations.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Will the Leafs qualify the following RFAs?

Gauthier - Pretty clear that he's on the outs after not dressing for the final 4 qualification games. I think they'll qualify him because he comes cheaply and he's a good individual. But I think they'll also be willing to waive him before the 2020-21 season using him the same way the team uses Marincin as an extra depth guy.
Bracco - No one is going to suggest an absence of talent here but he's burned his bridge here and probably has zero trade value. A change of scenery is obviously necessary.
Malgin - He's a recent addition. The GM isn't going to give up on him that quickly. Malgin might bolt back to Switzerland anyways so there would be no cost to qualifying him.
Rodrigues - I'm assuming that Dubas won't qualify him because he'll be too rich for the Leafs' cap structure. This is the off-season to say to an RFA like this "here's our offer of ~$1M AAV, we won't qualify you otherwise."
Dermott - Of course they will.
Veronneau - No.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marner won every major award that could be won thar season. Except top defenseman:)
Yes give him a winger that can create room for him/score and a centre who is a beast in both ends and the mix is perfect for Mitch. The issue with Mitch is he can't do it by himself. And we paid him $$$ to be a guy who can do it by himself and won a Cup. It shows a lack of understanding by our GM. But he was a rook GM and he is learning on job.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yes give him a winger that can create room for him/score and a centre who is a beast in both ends and the mix is perfect for Mitch. The issue with Mitch is he can't do it by himself. And we paid him $$$ to be a guy who can do it by himself and won a Cup. It shows a lack of understanding by our GM. But he was a rook GM and he is learning on job.
I recall him stirring the drink on the Bozy/Jvr line. He can do it. I’m thinking a bit of a down year this one. I don’t think it was a great year for him. The intensity was sparse and he lost a little jump. I would be my beer fridge on it that he comes back better next year. I know it wasn’t dynamic Marner this year. There are people actually attacking his family name for #1 example of things that can drag a man down. There is no place for that and I don’t ever appreciate seeing anything resembling it personally. He needs to thicken his skin and play nonetheless

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Of course I was just venturing my opinion but I don't see why it was necessary to send players of obvious NHL quality back to leagues where they'd already proved they were too good for. Was Marner ready, I think he was, was he angry, I think his contract negotiations proved that. If Marner was treated properly, if Nylander was treated properly they probably would've trusted the Leaf hierarchy more, felt more part of the team and may have been more willing to accept lesser contracts. Nylander actually had Babs in his corner, Babs wanted Nylander to be on the team after training camp, he also wanted Brown, but it was decided by Lou that they needed to be returned to the "A".

Lou might have had the long range plan(TO tanking) as part of his decision in returning those players but those players basically gave up a year's salary for TO's greater good, not for theirs. I'd be resentful.

Marner might have won the Calder if he didn't have to compete with AM his first year.

We saw Marner spend a great deal of time in his first year on Kadri's line with Marleau and by the end of his rookie year he was driving that line, he gave Kadri another 30 goal year, he made Marleau look like he was still a player. Players don't go from being not ready for the NHL to line drivers when they finally get into the NHL. Look at Marner's record in his last year in junior and compare it to his draft year, he played his predraft year to show his NHL readiness, his year after he was pissed he was demoted, sulked for about 30 games, in other words stagnated, then someone must have told him that his play would probably keep him out of the NHL and he turned it on.

I wouldn't ever expect players to publicly express their frustrations because there are more subtle ways like asking for too much in contract negotiations.
Lou is Lou. A legend in our game. Stupid MLSE board deal with Babs made things much harder for Lou. Shanny being da rook.
Lou did what he could. Old school style. Parents NEVER even say a peep. Lou/Babs had to teach a lesson to Mitch and Willy on how things work. Before NHL these guys tried to control every team their kid was on. It was a clash of parents and Lou. And Lou was Lou. Bottom line is we drafted 2 guys who thought their sh*t did not stink. and then we brought in good too shoes Dubie and bingo bango we got taken to da cleaners. Classic story in hockey.

Reactions: brhymes19

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Just came up with this lineup.
Traded Johnsson to Cgy for Bennett plus pick.
Traded Dermott to Edm for a pick
Traded Kerfoot to Det for a pick
Signed Spezza for 900k×1
Signed Simmonds for 1M×1
Signed Maroon for 1.5M×2
Signed Mikheyev for 1.5M×2
Signed Tanev for 4M ×4
Signed Demelo for 2.5M ×3
Comes to roughly 81,086,000

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Robertson Tavares Marner
Mikheyev Spezza Barabanov
Maroon Bennett Simmonds
Engvall

Rielly Tanev
Muzzin Holl
Lehtonen Demelo

Andersen
Campbell
Not bad. I’d tweek it my way but not bad champ at all

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Robertson shouldn't need to be rushed to the NHL on a team that should be a contender without the player. But the GM's job is on the line and he wants (needs) a conspicuous win to counteract his other folly. It's usually a mistake to force something like this. I don't think Robertson is what Dubas is treating him like he is. We'll see during an actual long run of a season. Being that Keefe owes his entire coaching career to Dubas, Keefe will do whatever he's told to do so I guarantee that Robertson will get used heavily with the team's high end talent at least in the first month of the season.

Now, I'm going to say something controversial: (Haven't you already?) I think there's real room for improvement in Robertson's skating. Yes, he's got speed and acceleration but he's awkward skating forward with the puck, leaning over his skates pushing the puck in the direction he's skating. And there's a north-south nature to his motion that's reminiscent of bottom 6 two-way grunts more than dynamic NHL level scorers. This detail is missed because the dude's got a great shot and release. IMO playing him at the highest level at a young age could affect his ceiling locking him into a style favoured by 4th line bangers and top 9 power forwards, both roles he should never have to play.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Not for a 2nd
It’s actually one round, either way (if he doesn’t sign it’s still a 3rd).
I don’t know the values of intangibles, but, if they team acquired another couple 2nds somewhere (AJ, Freddie), then I could see him being brought back.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Also missing vet grit and nastiness on backend too. Everyone takes our net. Add Edmundson playing with Rielly and add Dillon playing with Sandin and play Dermy with Muzzy and bingo bango our defense is fixed for next year. There is 1 guy on each pair who will not allow our net to be compromised. We need to spend our CAP on backend. If this backend is not fixed we will bow out again next year.
Trade Freddy to Carolina for our 1st rounder 2020 back and sign/trade with Edmundson at 3.3M per. We pick up 1.7M in CAP space. Carolina gets a #1 goalie for cheap at 1M next year.
Then sign/trade Murray if he comes in at 4M or under for their 1st rounder back. Pens want a 1st rounder 2020 back for him.
Sign Dermy at 1.5M for 1 year. Sign Soup at 1.5M for 1 year.
Then add up CAP and use rest of cAP on 3rd and 4th liners who can skate like Clifford and are tough like clifford.
Then next season we should be able to take an aging Bruins in round 1. and then Tampa will be a 7 gamer for sure which could go either way.
TRAIKOS: Forget Pietrangelo — Maple Leafs should pursue Borowiecki | Toronto Sun beats the crap out of opponents in many way is this guys way of operating. We don’t need Marincins ruining this teams defense.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
What the Leafs really need is a RH defence man that can play with Morgan Rielly.

I also wonder if MAF is available since De Boer appears to favors Lehner more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad