Speculation: Next years New Players.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Without adding the 3 players mentioned in this thread, the current roster has 5 RFAs & 4UFAs

Also the Leafs have less than 8M in Cap Space left according to Cap Friendly.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Welcome aboard Robertson, Barabanov, Rodrigues, Hallander, Sandin, Lehtonen and goodbye Kapanen, Barrie, Ceci, Spezza, Clifford, Gauthier, and Malgin.

Re-sign and welcome back Dermott and Mikheyev.
That D would get them a terrific chance at the #1 pick in the draft.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Luke Schenn is close to the same age as Muzzin, and only the 4th oldest D-man on Tampa Bay's roster.
The #2 and #3 best players for +/- in the playoffs in the last decade are Ron Hainsey and Roman Polak.

The idea that someone who's honed their game in 100's of games at the NHL level might have an upper
hand on someone like Holl who's played 80 some games.

I'd like to see a blueliner with some miles under his belt on the roster. He'll get torn apart by fans obviously
as he won't be a huge scorer, but will be doing the right things.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Welcome aboard Robertson, Barabanov, Rodrigues, Hallander, Sandin, Lehtonen and goodbye Kapanen, Barrie, Ceci, Spezza, Clifford, Gauthier, and Malgin.

Re-sign and welcome back Dermott and Mikheyev.
Waaaaaaaiiiit a minuuuuute.
Marincin?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That D would get them a terrific chance at the #1 pick in the draft.

We already had a 1 in 8 equal 12.5% chance to draft #1 overall this current year with our current defense core.

Now Dubas 1 year rentals and last year additions Barrie and Ceci are set to walk, leaving even more holes in the Dcore.

Maybe Leafs will trade away their 2021 1st round pick in an attempt to fix that defense, and won't have to worry about having a lottery pick next year.

Waaaaaaaiiiit a minuuuuute.
Marincin?

Back on SIGNING DATE: January 10, 2020 Marincin was re-signed for the 2020-21 season.

Martin Marincin - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We already had a 1 in 8 equal 12.5% chance to draft #1 overall this current year with our current defense core.

Now Dubas 1 year rentals and last year additions Barrie and Ceci are set to walk, leaving even more holes in the Dcore.

Maybe Leafs will trade away their 2021 1st round pick in an attempt to fix that defense, and won't have to worry about having a lottery pick next year.
It’s very hard to find one in a trade which is why you don’t trade away draft picks in a rebuild.
Because Dubas got off track they’ll always be scrambling to fill holes.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It’s very hard to find one in a trade which is why you don’t trade away draft picks in a rebuild.
Because Dubas got off track they’ll always be scrambling to fill holes.
Tell that to his predecessor, who started the trend that the Leafs now had to follow because of moving 2nd round picks for 4th liners, and squandering his big UFA trade assets. Plus sticking his successor with contracts that required a first to be traded to rectify.

And in case you were unaware, the Leafs have 11 picks in the upcoming draft.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Tell that to his predecessor, who started the trend that the Leafs now had to follow because of moving 2nd round picks for 4th liners, and squandering his big UFA trade assets. Plus sticking his successor with contracts that required a first to be traded to rectify.

And in case you were unaware, the Leafs have 11 picks in the upcoming draft.
I’m very much aware that this rebuild has been poorly managed.

I’m also aware that they drafted a legit stud and likely HoF number # 1 pick overall four years ago and struggle to make the playoffs and didn’t get into the round of 16 this year.

Dubas has one more crack at it and if he misses again this year he may turn this into a disaster and completely waste AM.

Reactions: brhymes19

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
After carefully going over the team needs of the Leafs, and the market of availability, I have compiled the following list of players that the Leafs might be able to get in order of preference. I have also put the needs to trading partners as well.

Calgary - Brodie (UFA)
New Jersey - Subban - Futures (50% retained)
Columbus - Savard (1 year til U) - Offense
Edmonton - Larsson (1 year til U) - Offense
Vancouver - Tanev (U) - Injury Prone
Calgary - Hamonic (U)

All of these players are RD except for Brodie, who is capable of playing RD. Subban is a bit of pipe dream, and I'm not sure he should be a target given what he will likely cost, but he's there anyway. These defensemen all play about the same regardless of the minutes they play. Also, Brodie and Tanev are the only ones on the list who did not have a down year. They will likely be in the most demand.

You may notice that there are players missing from this list that have been mentioned in several posts. Alex Peitrangelo will not be signed by Toronto. He will demand 9 million roughly. The Leafs would have to move out one of the big 4 to get him, or Morgan Reilly. They would need to take back futures only. I can't see that happening. Aaron Ekblad is too important to Florida to move. Matt Dumba is an achievable trade target, for one of the big four. I think the Leafs have considered this and have determined that he is a step back from each of the big 4. Still, Minnesota would want nothing less. Gudas plays worse the more minutes he plays, like Polak (and Dumba tbh).

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Back on SIGNING DATE: January 10, 2020 Marincin was re-signed for the 2020-21 season.

Martin Marincin - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Handy having a defenseman that can clear waivers time and again....I guess:oops:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Greg Pateryn for bottom pairing RHD would be an astute add. Let it come full circle considering we drafted him.

Mark Borowiecki may be another solid add to the bottom pairing.

Reactions: uncleben

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
What is the point in having an 18 year old play very limited minutes on a 3rd or 4tb line in the NHL? Better off sending him back to Junior to further hone his skills rather than riding the bench on a full time basis

Reactions: justashadowof

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
What is the point in having an 18 year old play very limited minutes on a 3rd or 4tb line in the NHL? Better off sending him back to Junior to further hone his skills rather than riding the bench on a full time basis

I think that depends on the player, Marner was too good for the OHL after TO drafted him, sending him back caused resentment by him and basically wasted a year of his hockey life. Marner could've played the 4th line better than any Leaf 4th liner the year after he was drafted. Spending time in the NHL that year might have made him more prepared for his next year. TO did the same thing with Nylander even tho Nylander was a far superior player than the majority of players on the roster at that time, essentially TO wasted 2 prime productive earning years of Nylander's career.

Did TO accomplish anything by not graduating Marner and Nylander right after they were drafted, they both stagnated by being held back, they should've been playing in the NHL and they probably would be on considerably cheaper contracts now.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
After carefully going over the team needs of the Leafs, and the market of availability, I have compiled the following list of players that the Leafs might be able to get in order of preference. I have also put the needs to trading partners as well.

Calgary - Brodie (UFA)
New Jersey - Subban - Futures (50% retained)
Columbus - Savard (1 year til U) - Offense
Edmonton - Larsson (1 year til U) - Offense
Vancouver - Tanev (U) - Injury Prone
Calgary - Hamonic (U)

All of these players are RD except for Brodie, who is capable of playing RD. Subban is a bit of pipe dream, and I'm not sure he should be a target given what he will likely cost, but he's there anyway. These defensemen all play about the same regardless of the minutes they play. Also, Brodie and Tanev are the only ones on the list who did not have a down year. They will likely be in the most demand.

You may notice that there are players missing from this list that have been mentioned in several posts. Alex Peitrangelo will not be signed by Toronto. He will demand 9 million roughly. The Leafs would have to move out one of the big 4 to get him, or Morgan Reilly. They would need to take back futures only. I can't see that happening. Aaron Ekblad is too important to Florida to move. Matt Dumba is an achievable trade target, for one of the big four. I think the Leafs have considered this and have determined that he is a step back from each of the big 4. Still, Minnesota would want nothing less. Gudas plays worse the more minutes he plays, like Polak (and Dumba tbh).

Based on that list, I would want Savard. The Jackets need capspace to sign their own players and if possible some cheap offensive options. I don't think it will be difficult to get him with one year left.

I am not sure what it would take but I would be ecstatic to somehow get Savard and Foudy from the Jackets.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think that depends on the player, Marner was too good for the OHL after TO drafted him, sending him back caused resentment by him and basically wasted a year of his hockey life. Marner could've played the 4th line better than any Leaf 4th liner the year after he was drafted. Spending time in the NHL that year might have made him more prepared for his next year. TO did the same thing with Nylander even tho Nylander was a far superior player than the majority of players on the roster at that time, essentially TO wasted 2 prime productive earning years of Nylander's career.

Did TO accomplish anything by not graduating Marner and Nylander right after they were drafted, they both stagnated by being held back, they should've been playing in the NHL and they probably would be on considerably cheaper contracts now.

Whether right or wrong, I'd guess Nylander and Marner were held back in good part because the team had more of a focus on getting the best odds for drafting Matthews rather than attempting to be competitive during the 2015-2016 season. It's possible that their contracts turn out differently if promoted earlier. It's possible they turn out a bit differently as players. It's possible the team depth chart at centre - and the team itself - ends up looking quite different too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wafflewhipper

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017

I don't recall any resentment from Marner or Nylander for not playing in the NHL sooner. Is there any reference to that? As for playing on the third/fourth line, I have to disagree. Both players had very productive and impressive first year in the NHL. There was talk of one time that Matthews, Marnwr and Nylander could all compete for the Calder trophy for rookie of the year (but that was Toronto media). So going back to saying that those players were stagnant by being held back, I have to disagree. It had not really impede there development. As for being more defensive, that is/was a coaching system/philosophy. We will have to wait and see what Keefe's coaching will do for these players and the team.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Reactions: Bust and uncleben

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Whether right or wrong, I'd guess Nylander and Marner were held back in good part because the team had more of a focus on getting the best odds for drafting Matthews rather than attempting to be competitive during the 2015-2016 season. It's possible that their contracts turn out differently if promoted earlier. It's possible they turn out a bit differently as players. It's possible the team depth chart at centre - and the team itself - ends up looking quite different too.
Thats true. Full tank and idling:)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Pretty sure Robertson will be a third liner and if all goes well he will see powerplay time before long. He was solid in the Columbus series against a solid heavy,smart defensive team. The way he works he looks like a solid mid 6 player already. Johnsson came up ready in a elimination game. Not his fault

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Not fun to do. I guess 'tanking' was going to be the most realistic way to end up with that quality of centre though.
Hoping Dubas adds Dillon through UFAgency and keeps the 15 pick. We can get a good defenseman there i think personally from what limited knowledge i have of this draft. I wouldn’t mind a couple more draft picks first couple rounds this year actually if more players are being traded. Freddy absolutely gets another first if moved. Not that I’m indifferent to moving him. I like Andersen.

Reactions: Buds17

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Based on that list, I would want Savard. The Jackets need capspace to sign their own players and if possible some cheap offensive options. I don't think it will be difficult to get him with one year left.

I am not sure what it would take but I would be ecstatic to somehow get Savard and Foudy from the Jackets.
Savard YES Foudy we may not want ... he played in G with my brothers 00 kid soft as you know what but skates like wind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad