Speculation: Next years New Players.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Love Dillon but don't see the fit as a LHD. I don't think he's played much RD. He would need to be a top 4 guy to be worth the $$$ and don't see us moving Rielly or Muzzin to their off sides as we have already tried that and clearly not fans of it.
Good player whatever handed he is. Kind of a need though from me.

Reactions: Cobra777

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Welcome aboard Robertson, Barabanov, Rodrigues, Hallander, Sandin, Lehtonen and goodbye Kapanen, Barrie, Ceci, Spezza, Clifford, Gauthier, and Malgin.

Re-sign and welcome back Dermott and Mikheyev.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Robertson in the qualification round was a classic "look at this positive thing I've done" type of decision. He's an impressive prospect but history says to not force the issue putting the player in a place to potentially experience setbacks that could have been easily avoided. Plus it's pretty much the opposite of good asset management. It would expedite Robertson's first RFA deal, probably for (in a realistically positive scenario) something on the order of 15g-15a rookie season with growing pains. I don't think Dubas is doing his job properly if he can't source a winger in a buyer's market capable of being approximately what Robertson would be in a rookie season at 19. Now, if he's the second coming of Pavel Bure, you don't hold that back.

Those other two are complete unknown quantities. We don't find out until they actually skate against NHLers in games that matter. Hitting on another Mikheyev would be awesome. If 1 of the 2 pan out at that level, that would be fantastical.

I'm still predicting that the biggest addition is going to be a right side defender to slide into the number 1 slot.

Reactions: brhymes19

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Robertson in the qualification round was a classic "look at this positive thing I've done" type of decision. He's an impressive prospect but history says to not force the issue putting the player in a place to potentially experience setbacks that could have been easily avoided. Plus it's pretty much the opposite of good asset management. It would expedite Robertson's first RFA deal, probably for (in a realistically positive scenario) something on the order of 15g-15a rookie season with growing pains. I don't think Dubas is doing his job properly if he can't source a winger in a buyer's market capable of being approximately what Robertson would be in a rookie season at 19. Now, if he's the second coming of Pavel Bure, you don't hold that back.

Those other two are complete unknown quantities. We don't find out until they actually skate against NHLers in games that matter. Hitting on another Mikheyev would be awesome. If 1 of the 2 pan out at that level, that would be fantastical.

I'm still predicting that the biggest addition is going to be a right side defender to slide into the number 1 slot.
Robertson has the work ethic beyond his years so i see him playing and playing good. He was good in playoffs where the game is jumped up. He’s playing next year and deserves to

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Overpaid perhaps.
Not very good...incorrect
20 goal guys with good wheels are good players. He was not right last year.
BUT with this team and with the salary cap as it is and a league wide flat cap if we could move him for a solid prospect or a high 3rd I do that all day.
I would rather be over paying Marner than so many crap contracts in the league.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Totally agreed. Robertson is a prospect who is only 18 and should be slowly brought up to the point where he's signing a minimal RFA bridge deal, providing offense and ELC relief for few seasons. He's a player you could easily source on the open market, and by the time he does come up, the current core will be more mature and able to guide him along a little better.

Reactions: mclaren55

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think it's that he wasn't ready - it's that they wanted Johnsson in.

Robertson is "ready" like Rasmus Sandin was "ready."

In a normal season, this means he can play in noticeable short spurts early in the season, show up on a few highlights in October, and then probably fade off the map by Christmas, at which point there's going to be a campaign to send him to the World Junior Championships where he can "dominate his age group."

I just think we can just bypass all that yo-yo'ing and just not graduate him. Let him roll his ELC forward so we get more productive years (not sure if a year has already been burned), and bridge him on a second contract, basically keeping him as cheap as we can for as long as we can.

To give you an idea of how young Robertson still is, at the same age Auston Matthews was just starting his first NHL camp. There's no way Robertson needs to be on this accelerated timeline.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

In a normal season, this means he can play in noticeable short spurts early in the season, show up on a few highlights in October, and then probably fade off the map by Christmas, at which point there's going to be a campaign to send him to the World Junior Championships where he can "dominate his age group."

I just think we can just bypass all that yo-yo'ing and just not graduate him. Let him roll his ELC forward so we get more productive years (not sure if a year has already been burned), and bridge him on a second contract, basically keeping him as cheap as we can for as long as we can.

To give you an idea of how young Robertson still is, at the same age Auston Matthews was just starting his first NHL camp. There's no way Robertson needs to be on this accelerated timeline.
He has to go back to the OHL, correct? It makes it more complicated, but truthfully I have no idea what the deal is with the CHL/NHL agreement now given the delayed start to the season.

I do think it's easier for him to step in and play ~10 minutes a night on the third line compared to Sandin, who inherently has a lot more pressure as a dman.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Sandin can play for the Marlies Robertson can’t. For me they are completely different anyway. Everything is different. The only thing not different is they are high quality prospects. The circumstances and position and big teams shake up etc just relates differently to both them.
Edit: see rob browns post just above mine here. All that stuff is so different in positioning these two to succeed.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Robertson didn't miss a beat, he was very noticeable has a great set of wheels, work ethic and wrist shot at 18 he has the mindset to finish his check and put his body in front of opponents vs a one handed stick check and also has good hockey IQ, he will not develop at all with another year in the O and too young for the AHL. Was Marner not in the same boat? I think can't totally remember, anyhow he has shown he has what it takes to play in the big league and he only will get better as he gets stronger. If I'm management because of how he is in between the O and the NHL, I would sit him down and just simply tell him "play your game, be the best you can be and just let your skills get you there, NO pressures just learn, as long as you give it your all we have the faith in you" and he should be ok.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Robertson didn't miss a beat, he was very noticeable has a great set of wheels, work ethic and wrist shot at 18 he has the mindset to finish his check and put his body in front of opponents vs a one handed stick check and also has good hockey IQ, he will not develop at all with another year in the O and too young for the AHL. Was Marner not in the same boat? I think can't totally remember, anyhow he has shown he has what it takes to play in the big league and he only will get better as he gets stronger. If I'm management because of how he is in between the O and the NHL, I would sit him down and just simply tell him "play your game, be the best you can be and just let your skills get you there, NO pressures just learn, as long as you give it your all we have the faith in you" and he should be ok.
Marner was in the same exact boat yesh

Reactions: Cobra777

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He has to go back to the OHL, correct? It makes it more complicated, but truthfully I have no idea what the deal is with the CHL/NHL agreement now given the delayed start to the season.

I do think it's easier for him to step in and play ~10 minutes a night on the third line compared to Sandin, who inherently has a lot more pressure as a dman.

The way I look at it is Robertson would still be younger than Marner and couple of days older than Matthews when they broke into the NHL during their rookie years and isn't on the same planet as either of them as far as level of prospect goes. So the accelerated timeline just doesn't make a lot of sense, because we can get a player who can fill his production.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't really like the idea of force feeding Robertson into an 82 game schedule when he wasn't ready to play in Game 5 of a play-in round. He's so young.

I don't think this can be answered one way or the other right now.

It will depend how mentally and physically he is in 4ish months.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
A bit of a premature thread since we haven't even hit the off-season yet.

Guys like Barbanov and Lehtonen have been signed by the Leafs before only to not make the roster and end up on the Marlies. Too early to pencil them in as regulars.

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
Clifford will be back.

I don't think Clifford will be back, if they sign him then the third round pick in 2021 will become a second round pick. Better for the leafs to keep the pick and sign Matt Martin who has a more complete game than Clifford also with alot of grit and toughness, as he becomes a UFA this year. Bring him back for $1 million.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don't think Clifford will be back, if they sign him then the third round pick in 2021 will become a second round pick. Better for the leafs to keep the pick and sign Matt Martin who has a more complete game than Clifford also with alot of grit and toughness, as he becomes a UFA this year. Bring him back for $1 million.
I’d be agreeable on that. The kids would love to have their bud back. Babcock screwed him after he was goung to punch out badcock for f***** with marner and the LISt ha. He doesn’t hurt you defensively. We need that presence i know that

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
A bit of a premature thread since we haven't even hit the off-season yet.

Guys like Barbanov and Lehtonen have been signed by the Leafs before only to not make the roster and end up on the Marlies. Too early to pencil them in as regulars.
Better than straight trade speculation talk 24/7 no. Gauging this regroup is difficult. Seems like some people completely neglect the fact we have Lehtonen and Barabanov coming in here when posting trade stuff.
I think its presently fine to talk about. I think both will be in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad