Speculation: Next years New Players.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Reactions: Wafflewhipper

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I recall him stirring the drink on the Bozy/Jvr line. He can do it. I’m thinking a bit of a down year this one. I don’t think it was a great year for him. The intensity was sparse and he lost a little jump. I would be my beer fridge on it that he comes back better next year. I know it wasn’t dynamic Marner this year. There are people actually attacking his family name for #1 example of things that can drag a man down. There is no place for that and I don’t ever appreciate seeing anything resembling it personally. He needs to thicken his skin and play nonetheless
Mitch is a great kid and he loves to play hockey. He took care of his family which is honourable. But since he has been 5 I have seen him play hundreds and hundreds of games in spring hockey and winter hockey. When he has to do it himself he can't. The only time he won was in junior when he was properly situated on a line which helped him work his magic. JT and Hyman are very good partners for him and we should go back to what worked again next year. They are all around same speed so they move well as a group, they were all trained to play TO hockey and they all bring skills sets which are a great match.
This matching him with Matty because they are great friends is pretty stupid if you ask me.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Barabanov
Robertson
Lehtonen

Thats looking like three players we can assume will be new to the lineup. Still not seeing this jam we need. It is not absent from what little we see of Robertson. It’s not unheard of from Barabanov. Barabanov does go hard to the net and plays a good 200 ft game apparently very well. We still have to see that to be objective. I was thinking what if Hallander comes in and shows he can play the defense center we need. Its a question mark but again to be objective we are allowed to wonder.

That’s potentially 4 new players with three at forward. We have only lost Kappy so far. Everyone has a player or two or Three they don’t want back. Personally I don’t see Malgin,Gauthier or Engvall playing for us next year. I’m guessing of course.

Thing is, where are we going to have room for possibly a Perry or Simmons or Clifford or Maroon type that will give some heavy play and presence! Spezza is pretty respected on here too. Can we find room for Spezz!

Looks pretty clogged right now and it is so early and so much speculation of us moving out players in trades. I’m still having a hard time trying to grasp where this regroup we seen starting with the move of Kappy and clearing cap is going.

I will personally be concerned if this goes all skill again with all the additions. Lehtonen doesn’t concern me. I think he plays a solid defensive game to go with his good point shot and all that. He a good package i think.

Is it time for Robertson and Johnsson possible to be our left wingers with our top four and Hyman drop to the bottom six where the intent is to grind teams into the ice bottom Six.

What’s everybody thinking they would like to see changed and do you think it will shape up your preferred way. After signing Mikheyev and Dermott as Dubas eluded to having to get done, I’m not sure we are going to see much change to the style or composition of this team.

I want Clifford and hopefully at least one of the heavy players i listed. It’s hard to see there being room. We might see all not soft but not anywhere close to heavy all throughout the lineup again.

How do you see this roster shaping up for next season personally leafers. Strictly speculation but I’m curious.

In addition to those 3, I’d love to see the following FA’s on the leafs next season:
- Simmonds
- Gudas
- Dillion
- maybe Perry?
- bring back Spezza

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Mik - JT - Nylander
roberston - kerfoot - barabanov
Engvall?/Perry? - spezza - simmonds

Mo - Dillion
Muzz - holl
Lehtonen - Gudas
Sandin - lily

these additions will make us tougher to play against, offensively as well as defensively.

Dillion and gudas give us the net clearing presence that we’ve missed since Polak and will provide shelter for some of the skilled FWD’s.

Barabanov gives us a similar skill set as Mik, more or less another guy that will get into the tough areas with some offensive ability. I think having a guy like that with kerfoot will unlock an element of kerfoots game we got a glimpse of in the playoffs.

that 4th line is probably the slowest in the league, but I think what I’m getting at is clear - we need a 4th line that actually brings something to the table. I’m tired of seeing Goat slot in cause he’s decent at draws and proceed to do nothing of value other than eat up time to rest the top guys.

I still am not completely happy with the makeup of this team. Personally I think we need a physical veteran on the top line with Matthews and marner. Not a washed up Marleau or a guy like that. I’m thinking a nick foligno type to teach Matthews specifically that it’s ok to be a prick out there. I’ve seen glimpses of aggression out of Matthews and he’s damn near unstoppable when he plays with a chip on his shoulder. A guy with that size and skill set combined with a pissed off attitude is absolutely miserable to play against. I’d love to see Matthews add this to his game, having a few of these guys around (perry, Simmonds, gudas, Dillion) and maybe specifically on the top line will help Auston get there.

my dream team (with the big 4) would be:

Foligno - Matthews - marner
Hyman - JT - Willy
Mik - jumbo - roberston
Simmonds - Spezza - barabanov

Mo - Dillion
Muzz - holl
Lehtonen - gudas

but I’m sure the good ol’ salary cap wouldn’t allow anything close to this. However that would be the template. A hard to play D man on every line, a warrior on the top line, Hyman slots in with JT and a couple potential HOF vets on the bottom lines.

sorry for the ramble post. I got carried away lol.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Marner was not ready for the NHL . He combined with Dvorak and Tkachuck to make a solid junior line played a shitload of minutes and won Memorial Cup. You should be proud the Leafs have somebody on their roster that has won something. I personally believe you should leave them in junior as long as you can for their bodies to mature. Sure the talent is there but playing with men isn't good for their health.

The only thing holding back Marner after his draft year was weight, if he had been 190lbs+, he would made the NHL post draft. Even though he is only 175lbs, he has been fairly healthy through out the first couple years of his career. Injuries happen, size really has nothing to do with it. If that were the case than guys like Matthews would never get injured.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
In addition to those 3, I’d love to see the following FA’s on the leafs next season:
- Simmonds
- Gudas
- Dillion
- maybe Perry?
- bring back Spezza

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Mik - JT - Nylander
roberston - kerfoot - barabanov
Engvall?/Perry? - spezza - simmonds

Mo - Dillion
Muzz - holl
Lehtonen - Gudas
Sandin - lily

these additions will make us tougher to play against, offensively as well as defensively.

Dillion and gudas give us the net clearing presence that we’ve missed since Polak and will provide shelter for some of the skilled FWD’s.

Barabanov gives us a similar skill set as Mik, more or less another guy that will get into the tough areas with some offensive ability. I think having a guy like that with kerfoot will unlock an element of kerfoots game we got a glimpse of in the playoffs.

that 4th line is probably the slowest in the league, but I think what I’m getting at is clear - we need a 4th line that actually brings something to the table. I’m tired of seeing Goat slot in cause he’s decent at draws and proceed to do nothing of value other than eat up time to rest the top guys.

I still am not completely happy with the makeup of this team. Personally I think we need a physical veteran on the top line with Matthews and marner. Not a washed up Marleau or a guy like that. I’m thinking a nick foligno type to teach Matthews specifically that it’s ok to be a prick out there. I’ve seen glimpses of aggression out of Matthews and he’s damn near unstoppable when he plays with a chip on his shoulder. A guy with that size and skill set combined with a pissed off attitude is absolutely miserable to play against. I’d love to see Matthews add this to his game, having a few of these guys around (perry, Simmonds, gudas, Dillion) and maybe specifically on the top line will help Auston get there.

my dream team (with the big 4) would be:

Foligno - Matthews - marner
Hyman - JT - Willy
Mik - jumbo - roberston
Simmonds - Spezza - barabanov

Mo - Dillion
Muzz - holl
Lehtonen - gudas

but I’m sure the good ol’ salary cap wouldn’t allow anything close to this. However that would be the template. A hard to play D man on every line, a warrior on the top line, Hyman slots in with JT and a couple potential HOF vets on the bottom lines.

sorry for the ramble post. I got carried away lol.
Definitely yes to these lineups. Yourself and i can come up with I’d say at least decent ideas and hopefully we get something like these right.
Awesome ideas. Maroon too is another one. Actually trading Nylander is something i view as not imperative but worth considering right now. Asking for input from G.Ms as to his worth would not hurt. The reason i say that isn’t because I don’t like Nylander either. He a damn good player. Its everything we need to raise compete,cap allocation towards improving defense from forward,adding grit etc. Most importantly it’s a personal belief we need to change the composition of the style of play.

Reactions: brhymes19 and Bust

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Definitely yes to these lineups. Yourself and i can come up with I’d say at least decent ideas and hopefully we get something like these right.
Awesome ideas. Maroon too is another one. Actually trading Nylander is something i view as not imperative but worth considering right now. Asking for input from G.Ms as to his worth would not hurt. The reason i say that isn’t because I don’t like Nylander either. He a damn good player. Its everything we need to raise compete,cap allocation towards improving defense from forward,adding grit etc. Most importantly it’s a personal belief we need to change the composition of the style of play.

I think you, the majority of leaf nation and I see the need to get a little nastier as well as a lot tougher. I think “tougher” can be quantified in many ways - I see it as mentally tougher, not only as individuals but as a group. Veteran players will help us get there. Look at the determination/grind/heart and sheer will Spezza showed in our playoff push. That is a guy who is absolutely desperate to get to a cup. We need more of that.

in regards to nylander - I partially agree. I personally like Willy, as I judge him for what he is - not what he isn’t. I think a lot of us fans get on him (sometimes rightfully so) because he’s that typical, soft spoken, pretty boy. I mean (For the most part) we’re a pretty blue collar fanbase, I think that’s why we relish so often of that 93 group. That was a hardworking, grinding, get their hands dirty with the best of em team. This group is the complete opposite and Willy (with his golden hair and baby face) drives that point home for a lot of us.

I personally would look at moving marner before Willy for a number of reasons - mostly due to the return we could net, and quite frankly marner will have a hard time living up to that contract as a winger, where as Willy at 7m, there’s still actually room for him to outperform his contract.

obviously all in all, regardless of who we discuss, be it maroon, gudas, Boyle (damn I forgot about him!), Dilion, Simmonds, ext. I think we are all on the same page. We need to get physically and mentally tougher as a group if we can expect to get over the hump against physically and mentally tough teams like Boston, CBJ, St. Louis.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think you, the majority of leaf nation and I see the need to get a little nastier as well as a lot tougher. I think “tougher” can be quantified in many ways - I see it as mentally tougher, not only as individuals but as a group. Veteran players will help us get there. Look at the determination/grind/heart and sheer will Spezza showed in our playoff push. That is a guy who is absolutely desperate to get to a cup. We need more of that.

in regards to nylander - I partially agree. I personally like Willy, as I judge him for what he is - not what he isn’t. I think a lot of us fans get on him (sometimes rightfully so) because he’s that typical, soft spoken, pretty boy. I mean (For the most part) we’re a pretty blue collar fanbase, I think that’s why we relish so often of that 93 group. That was a hardworking, grinding, get their hands dirty with the best of em team. This group is the complete opposite and Willy (with his golden hair and baby face) drives that point home for a lot of us.

I personally would look at moving marner before Willy for a number of reasons - mostly due to the return we could net, and quite frankly marner will have a hard time living up to that contract as a winger, where as Willy at 7m, there’s still actually room for him to outperform his contract.

obviously all in all, regardless of who we discuss, be it maroon, gudas, Boyle (damn I forgot about him!), Dilion, Simmonds, ext. I think we are all on the same page. We need to get physically and mentally tougher as a group if we can expect to get over the hump against physically and mentally tough teams like Boston, CBJ, St. Louis.
Marner lost his dynamic jump and intensity to a damn large degree this past year. The fan base has spit on him and it effected him. We know all them nasty details. I don’t think we get value. We don’t end up with best player in the trade likely. Thats a concern trading him. Hypothetically trading both would free up almost $18,000,000 haha. Thats some serious potential but you lose 50-60 goals and 100 assists. Other words you need three 20g and 35 assists players coming back. You can say trade them but its loads of money to move around.
Matthews and Tavares are safe but holee they make some huge coin too. Willy is easiest to trade I’m guessing

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Dillon or him both fine 3rd line defenders for me ... but we need 1 more guy who does not break da bank who has speed/size to play with Rielly and Edmundson is it
I suggested this.

Andersen, Dermott, pick/prospect

for

David Savard, Joonas Korpisalo.

Sign Dillon ($2.75 x 2)
Extend Savard ($4 million x 4)

Rielly - Savard
Muzzin - Holl
Dillon - Lehtonen
Marincin (placeholder for $700K)

Korpisalo
Campbell

If Mikheyev signs for $2 million, that leaves over 3 million to add 2 - 4 line players and
a spare.
Works for me.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Marner lost his dynamic jump and intensity to a damn large degree this past year. The fan base has spit on him and it effected him. We know all them nasty details. I don’t think we get value. We don’t end up with best player in the trade likely. Thats a concern trading him. Hypothetically trading both would free up almost $18,000,000 haha. Thats some serious potential but you lose 50-60 goals and 100 assists. Other words you need three 20g and 35 assists players coming back. You can say trade them but its loads of money to move around.
Matthews and Tavares are safe but holee they make some huge coin too. Willy is easiest to trade I’m guessing
Mitch makes $700k actual money (salary) with an $11 million cap hit.

That alone solves any teams budget issues for this upcoming season. He can then be moved before his July 1st bonus kicks in.

Sooooo many teams would kill for that. :)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I suggested this.

Andersen, Dermott, pick/prospect

for

David Savard, Joonas Korpisalo.

Sign Dillon ($2.75 x 2)
Extend Savard ($4 million x 4)

Rielly - Savard
Muzzin - Holl
Dillon - Lehtonen
Marincin (placeholder for $700K)

Korpisalo
Campbell

If Mikheyev signs for $2 million, that leaves over 3 million to add 2 - 4 line players and
a spare.
Works for me.
Works for me too ... and CBJs could be hard up for $$$ too ... Freddy could play backup in CLB for 1 year and Dermy would get properly developed in CLB so good for him too ... I could see both sides doing that deal for different reasons ... give them our 2021 pick though ... we need to keep our 2020 pick for a big fast tough D youngster to develop

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Works for me too ... and CBJs could be hard up for $$$ too ... Freddy could play backup in CLB for 1 year and Dermy would get properly developed in CLB so good for him too ... I could see both sides doing that deal for different reasons ... give them our 2021 pick though ... we need to keep our 2020 pick for a big fast tough D youngster to develop
They save over $3 million in real money, but it is cap neutral if Dermott signs for $2 million. The pick or prospect I would give wouldn't be very much as Savard is a pending UFA and the Leafs eating $3+ million. One of Korpisalo or Merzlikins would have to be exposed in the expansion draft after this year anyway, so Freddy being a pending UFA won't make much of a difference to them.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Mitch makes $700k actual money (salary) with an $11 million cap hit.

That alone solves any teams budget issues for this upcoming season. He can then be moved before his July 1st bonus kicks in.

Sooooo many teams would kill for that. :)
I agree. Not thinking its a good idea for our powerplay or offense without willy or Magic but something will give eventually. He’ll it’s only two more seasons and it’s time to work a extension on Matthews before free agency. I wouldn’t let him walk in Ufa territory.

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If he were as good as, say, Adam McQuaid -who can crack a strong roster in the playoffs- I could see it, but come spring time, Boro is a healthy scratch.

If the Leafs dumpster dive on cheap defensemen I want to go the route of a Bogosian on a discount where you know you’re getting a guy who was once a high end athlete as opposed to a guy like Boro whose just hanging on by a thread.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
He should spend a year in AHL. He brought in some energy but he was still rather weak in my eyes.
I believe for him it's NHL or OHL.

I could be wrong, but I thought Robertson can only play with the Leafs, or go back to junior, that he could not play in the AHL?

Reactions: fahad203

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
Robertson shouldn't need to be rushed to the NHL on a team that should be a contender without the player. But the GM's job is on the line and he wants (needs) a conspicuous win to counteract his other folly. It's usually a mistake to force something like this. I don't think Robertson is what Dubas is treating him like he is. We'll see during an actual long run of a season. Being that Keefe owes his entire coaching career to Dubas, Keefe will do whatever he's told to do so I guarantee that Robertson will get used heavily with the team's high end talent at least in the first month of the season.

Now, I'm going to say something controversial: (Haven't you already?) I think there's real room for improvement in Robertson's skating. Yes, he's got speed and acceleration but he's awkward skating forward with the puck, leaning over his skates pushing the puck in the direction he's skating. And there's a north-south nature to his motion that's reminiscent of bottom 6 two-way grunts more than dynamic NHL level scorers. This detail is missed because the dude's got a great shot and release. IMO playing him at the highest level at a young age could affect his ceiling locking him into a style favoured by 4th line bangers and top 9 power forwards, both roles he should never have to play.
This young man is hungry, is tenacious and smart as a whip. Great shot, very good skater, what is not to like about him in the lineup? He will be on the top six next year imho.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
He was one of the stronger forwards in the Columbus series. Head scratcher why they put in Johnsson really.

Well by the time hockey comes back around he should be on the line up
I dont see what he's going to learn in the O

But the idea of Kerfoot,robertsson and jhonsson in the same line is just scary. So small

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
I’d be agreeable on that. The kids would love to have their bud back. Babcock screwed him after he was goung to punch out badcock for f***** with marner and the LISt ha. He doesn’t hurt you defensively. We need that presence i know that
Would Martin come back? Love to see that. And the Wayne Simmonds thing intrigues me as well. Another big body who can still get around, could move up and down in the lineup and be a net front presence on the PP.
Martin-Spezza-Simmonds

Soupy JT Willie Marner
Kerfoot Matty Hymie
Johnnson Kahaira Engvail
Martin Spezza Simmonds

Reilly Larson
Muzzy Lily
Dermott Gudas

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Would Martin come back? Love to see that. And the Wayne Simmonds thing intrigues me as well. Another big body who can still get around, could move up and down in the lineup and be a net front presence on the PP.
Martin-Spezza-Simmonds

Soupy JT Willie Marner
Kerfoot Matty Hymie
Johnnson Kahaira Engvail
Martin Spezza Simmonds

Reilly Larson
Muzzy Lily
Dermott Gudas
That first line would put up some serious offence.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I don’t mind the idea of adding grit at all, but I don’t like the idea of just tacking it on with min vets.

I’d want some guys entering or around their prime to bring some. That’s why I like the idea of Woods in NJ, and maybe some guys you can tease it out of (Khaira might be another).

Internally, there’s a few guys who bring it (Muzz/Hyman), a few who can (Auston, TD), some who could benefit from bringing more (Goat) and a couple coming (NickRob and Hallander). Add Woods through trade, maybe a vet to compete for the 4th line, and one FA D (Dillon, Gudas) and I think there’s plenty to offset the skill side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad