Speculation: Next years New Players.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Roberston lehtonen and barbanov all 5'10 and under

We have so many players that fits those profile

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
A players height doesn't really tell you anything about their playing style.

The Goat is a giant but is incredibly passive Robertson quite small but very aggressive when chasing the puck

Robertsson maybe the exception. But you do need size. GOAT just sucks.
You need mix of players. Keep Roberstson but Jhonsson or Kerfoot has to go

Just too many players with similar skill set

Reactions: brhymes19

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Robertsson maybe the exception. But you do need size. GOAT just sucks.
You need mix of players. Keep Roberstson but Jhonsson or Kerfoot has to go

Just too many players with similar skill set

I agree about needing a mix, i don't think you can judge a players skillset from their height though.

Reactions: kb

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I'm going to assume the Leafs find a way to source 1 high quality, top 4, RHD. That will leave the top 4 with Rielly, Muzzin, Holl, and whomever that is. Dermott might stay, might go if the Leafs end up with enough space to pursue a guy like Gudas for the 3rd pair and want to get a bit tougher. I believe they'll trade Timothy Liljegren, if anything for a change of scenery after he wasn't named to the bubble roster.

As for how the new guys acquired so far fit in:

Lehtonen -- I think will be battling with Sandin, Rosen & Marincin for the final spot in the Leafs top 6. The Leafs are likely going to need at least 2 of their 7 (or 3 of their 8) roster defencemen to be sub $900k guys.

Barbanov - Will be in the same type of mix we've had for the last 3-4 years of guys who come here knowing they may not stick on the NHL team, but at least if they get demoted they're not having to move.

Rodrigues - I think /hope he's a theoretical replacement for Gauthier, who I sincerely hope the Leafs are done with. However he may decide to chase money, and I'm not sure it makes sense for the Leafs to qualify him.

Robertson - Obviously the most intriguing guy of the bunch. The OHL has announced a return to play beginning in December which aligns with the NHL plans. I think the Leafs are going to give Robertson every opportunity to make the team given their need for some tertiary scoring, and the flexibility to roll 3 lines with high end talent on them.

Reactions: fahad203

kb

Aug 28, 2009
My bad. I misread

But my point stands. I have nothing against Robertson, he looked okay
However, Leafs don't need anymore 5'10 players.

We need some bad boys who can play and play the game hard.
Fair enough. I agree wholeheartedly that the mix needs to be changed.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I agree about needing a mix, i don't think you can judge a players skillset from their height though.

Very true. No argument there.

But ever year we seem to recycle the same type of players. Ennis, Trevor Moore, Malgin, Petan, Jhonsson, Kerfoot, Brooks, Aberg
These were our bottom 6

They all play the exact same game with some variations of differences
GOAT just down right garbage. He needs go

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I'm going to assume the Leafs find a way to source 1 high quality, top 4, RHD. That will leave the top 4 with Rielly, Muzzin, Holl, and whomever that is. Dermott might stay, might go if the Leafs end up with enough space to pursue a guy like Gudas for the 3rd pair and want to get a bit tougher. I believe they'll trade Timothy Liljegren, if anything for a change of scenery after he wasn't named to the bubble roster.

As for how the new guys acquired so far fit in:

Lehtonen -- I think will be battling with Sandin, Rosen & Marincin for the final spot in the Leafs top 6. The Leafs are likely going to need at least 2 of their 7 (or 3 of their 8) roster defencemen to be sub $900k guys.

Barbanov - Will be in the same type of mix we've had for the last 3-4 years of guys who come here knowing they may not stick on the NHL team, but at least if they get demoted they're not having to move.

Rodrigues - I think /hope he's a theoretical replacement for Gauthier, who I sincerely hope the Leafs are done with. However he may decide to chase money, and I'm not sure it makes sense for the Leafs to qualify him.

Robertson - Obviously the most intriguing guy of the bunch. The OHL has announced a return to play beginning in December which aligns with the NHL plans. I think the Leafs are going to give Robertson every opportunity to make the team given their need for some tertiary scoring, and the flexibility to roll 3 lines with high end talent on them.
You want to qualify Rodrigues at $2,000,000. Not a chance man. He will have to take much less and I’m guessing half or he will be let loose and trying to get a job as a Ufa in a competitive market. Thats was a arbitration award contract he is on. It was not a value contract. He’ll come cheaper or will be gone is being discussed on some sites. He’s lucky to get a $1,000,000.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
You want to qualify Rodrigues at $2,000,000. Not a chance man. He will have to take much less and I’m guessing half or he will be let loose and trying to get a job as a Ufa in a competitive market. Thats was a arbitration award contract he is on. It was not a value contract. He’ll come cheaper or will be gone is being discussed on some sites. He’s lucky to get a $1,000,000.

No, I want the Leafs to approach him and say:

"we can't afford to qualify you... but what we can do is give you a 2-year, 1-way deal at $1.25m/season. It'll give you an opportunity to prove yourself as a middle-6 forward in this league, and you'll still be young enough to try and strike it big on your next deal. Or, you can go try your luck in free agency, maybe find a spot, maybe end up on a PTO".

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
He was ready and didn’t cause us grief at all i thought. Johnsson came in. No big deal there I don’t think

I agree.

I also agree with the points of RFA considerations, and him being fairly young and small to be playing against 30+ year old men for a full schedule.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
I can't fault Keefe for going with experience in a deciding game. Not likely that that game was going to be won or lost on a Robertson versus Johnsson decision.

yes I agree. I was just responding to a person that says Robertson didnt play in game 5 cause he is not NHL ready and that the Leafs shouldn't force feed him into an 82 game season.

Reactions: Buds17

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'd like to see Spezza back. And Clifford too, if he's willing to make less to be a Leaf.

Rodrigues probably walks after not getting a QO. He'll just be too expensive. He'd get over a million somewhere else, but not here.

I think we need an external solution to fill out the 4th line. But expect one of Petan and Malgin to be back. You need borderline guys as a spare, and in the AHL. And they're pretty perfect for that.

Goodbye Gauthier. And I kind of hope Engvall goes, too. Dime a dozen players who are mostly invisible.

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
I like Clifford, but is he worth a 2nd rounder? If the team was even just a little bit tougher it wouldn't even be worth considering

Reactions: brhymes19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad