Next World Cup

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
A Team NHLPA Russia would have no ties to the Russian government, Hockey Federation, KHL, or any entity responsible for decisions in Ukraine. Shit, they'd probably be coached by a American or Canadian.

If certain European players still take issue with that, they're hypocrites considering they make millions playing with and against those same Russians on a nightly basis in the NHL.
Shows where their allegiance$ truly lie.
Not going to fly. A Russian team or a "Russian" team is a no-go.

Yeah, with Ukraine.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
A Team NHLPA Russia would have no ties to the Russian government, Hockey Federation, KHL, or any entity responsible for decisions in Ukraine. Shit, they'd probably be coached by a American or Canadian.

If certain European players still take issue with that, they're hypocrites considering they make millions playing with and against those same Russians on a nightly basis in the NHL.
Shows where their allegiance$ truly lie.
Sure worked great with team OAR, separating them from Russia & Putin. :laugh:

Reactions: Ukki and Sentinel

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
We all know the rankings are shit BUT Germany has some premiere players to build around that could be marketted!
yeah they are even ranked above Czechs

i can only see 3 germans take a spot 0n best 0n best team sweden and team czechs

thats

dr,drai
seider
stutzle

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
yeah they are even ranked above Czechs

i can only see 3 germans take a spot 0n best 0n best team sweden and team czechs

thats

dr,drai
seider
stutzle
I keep saying that those 3 would actually make the Czechs a legit contender again.

Drai as our 1C, Hertl as our 2C, Zacha as our 3C

Hronek, Gudas, Seider, Jircek in 2025 would be a hell of a Top 4

Toss Stutzl in amongst Pasta, Necas, Chytil

Grubauer and 2 NHL Czech goalies.

The one counter I got was that the Swiss and Germans could also combine for a hell of a team. Very true as well.. Josi and Seider is a hell of a start.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Russia won’t be included any time soon after the war is concluded and whatever the negotiations, geopolitics etc end up as. That won’t be any time soon unfortunately.

There are still so many other countries that have NHL representation, and are viable as competitive and competent opponents to feature in a tournament getting left out to dry. Its a shame for their countries’ fans and Hockey Feds who’ve developed and provided these players at the highest levels.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I said no ties to the government; not an innate country or citizens of such.

It's a shame xenophobia is making an ugly comeback in the hockey world.
Look at the Czech Federation almost cancelling NHL games merely because Russians were participating.
Beyond disgusting.

The best option is an NHL/NHLPA tournament without any input from all Hockey Federations/governments.
Screw them and their political games which are ruining everything.
Finland would have Barkov as their 1C, the boycott of Russia has nothing to do with ethnicity or even citizenship.

Reactions: Jussi and Czechboy

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Still a terrible idea if you're not going to include half the countries that are usually involved.

Unless you want to just name it the "Four Nations Cup" and leave it at that.......but why those four? And why would you deprive hockey fans of seeing the best from any nation compete against eachother?

Reactions: Tuoppi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Still a terrible idea if you're not going to include half the countries that are usually involved.

Unless you want to just name it the "Four Nations Cup" and leave it at that.......but why those four? And why would you deprive hockey fans of seeing the best from any nation compete against eachother?
"NHL 4 Nations Challenge"

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
If it is a tournament for NHL players only? There are seven German skaters in the NHL, nine Swiss, 21 Czech.
Czechs could field a 95% NHL roster

14 NHL forwards
3 NHL goalies
4 NHL D and 4 AHLers under NHL contract like Jakub Zboril, Radim Simek, Stanislav Svozil or David Spacek.

Damn close and Spacek and Svozil may be NHLers next season.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Way too Early Prediction for Canada:

Forwards
Point-McDavid-Marner
Bedard-Crosby-MacKinnon
Marchand-Thomas-Cozens
Schiefele -McTavish-Stone
Extras: Barzal, Konency

Defence
Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Pelech-Morrisey
Power-Dobson

Goalies
Adin Hill
Logan Thompson
Carter Hart

Tavares and Stamkos are too old, time to pave the way for the new guns. Only reason I have Stone and Marchand on here is because they are great two-way players. If Byfield keeps this up, he’ll make it too. Tough time leaving Suzuki off as well.

You could argue Hamilton over Dobson, but at this point Dobson is just another younger Hamilton, but with better defence and more upside. Chabot and Ekblad could play their way onto the team. Power is a bold selection, but he’s already so good. Perhaps, a more mature selection such as Doughty may be better.

Last edited:

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Ok so according to Swedish sources it would be longer than a week. FIN and SWE play once at home each (CAN and USA similar set up), then travel to NA, semifinals, finals and 3rd place match.

In this format there would be very little to play for in the opening games. How would Finland benefit from beating the Swedes here at home? You won't get home ice for the semis anyway and there's not a huge difference between Canada and USA.

I'd much prefer a round-robin in one city in North America. The top-2 advance into the finals. The games would be meaningful from the get-go. Plus we Finns and Swedes might get a chance to travel to America to drink for a week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambo and Czechboy

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I'm not interested in a 4 Nations Tourney. I'd rather a Canada vs USA Summit Series. I'll tune in for a Canada v USA GMG if it's a 4 team tournament, but will not be watching anything more than that.

Reactions: Voight and Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm not interested in a 4 Nations Tourney. I'd rather a Canada vs USA Summit Series. I'll tune in for a Canada v USA GMG if it's a 4 team tournament, but will not be watching anything more than that.
Agree... If 4 nations is the option then time for a NA super series. Especially if they are flying the Finn's and Swedes to Europe.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Way too Early Prediction for Canada:

Forwards
Point-McDavid-Marner
Bedard-Crosby-MacKinnon
Marchand-Thomas-Cozens
Schiefele -McTavish-Stone
Extras: Barzal, Konency

Defence
Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Pelech-Morrisey
Power-Dobson

Goalies
Adin Hill
Logan Thompson
Carter Hart

Tavares and Stamkos are too old, time to pave the way for the new guns. Only reason I have Stone and Marchand on here is because they are great two-way players. If Byfield keeps this up, he’ll make it too. Tough time leaving Suzuki off as well.

You could argue Hamilton over Dobson, but at this point Dobson is just another younger Hamilton, but with better defence and more upside. Chabot and Ekblad could play their way onto the team. Power is a bold selection, but he’s already so good. Perhaps, a more mature selection such as Doughty may be better.

I think Kyrou has an outside shot as an extra.

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
That's ridiculous. Just don't do anything if it's for that.

I want to see our team switzerland on a best on best soon and hopefuly before Josi's gone (Even though I suspect he will play a lot more years). I hope we will see that in the 2026 olympics...

Reactions: Voight and Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
That's ridiculous. Just don't do anything if it's for that.

I want to see our team switzerland on a best on best soon and hopefuly before Josi's gone (Even though I suspect he will play a lot more years). I hope we will see that in the 2026 olympics...
That's just it.. Swiss would have an NHL heavy lineup of stars. They absolutely wouldn't get blown out and could definitely cause upsets. They have in the past and they would now too.

So shortsighted to leave them out. Or the German's with 4 absolute studs you could market around.

Gah, this one pisses me off more than the 2016 World Cup.lol

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
That's just it.. Swiss would have an NHL heavy lineup of stars. They absolutely wouldn't get blown out and could definitely cause upsets. They have in the past and they would now too.

So shortsighted to leave them out. Or the German's with 4 absolute studs you could market around.

Gah, this one pisses me off more than the 2016 World Cup.lol
They are absolutely good enough to go against the rest of the worlds best. Let me be even more vocal, I get nervous going into a game against the Swiss at senior level events, in case no one but me has noticed.............they've given us a hard time for quite awhile now.

Reactions: Czechboy

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I hate to say it, but if the NHL is planning on only using NA based players, the Czech, Slovak, German and Swiss teams would be pretty weak on their own.

I know that everyone hates this, but I created Czech/Slovak and German/Swiss teams. Both could contend, but neither would be favorites IMO.

Kubalik - Necas - Pastrnak
Faska - Hertl - Zacha
Palat - Kampf - Chytil
Slafkovsky - Dvorsky - Mesar

Hronek - Cernak
Zboril - Gudas
Fehervary - Nemec

Vanacek
Vejmalka

Fiala - Draisaitl - Meier
Stutzle - Hischier - Niederreiter
Peterka - Sturm - Reichel
Lutz - Kurashev - Plante

Josi - Seider
Siegenthaler - Moser
Panocha- Gawanke

Grubauer
Waeber

Probably missing someone. All of the above should be playing on this side of the pond when the tournament starts.

That makes 6 teams.

Last edited:

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I hate to say it, but if the NHL is planning on only using NA based players, the Czech, Slovak, German and Swiss teams would be pretty weak on their own.

I know that everyone hates this, but I created Czech/Slovak and German/Swiss teams. Both could contend, but neither would be favorites IMO.

Kubalik - Necas - Pastrnak
Faska - Hertl - Zacha
Palat - Kampf - Zadina
Slafkovsky - Dvorsky - Mesar

Zboril - Cernak
Fehervary - Gudas
Simek - Nemec

Vanacek
Vejmalka

Fiala - Draisaitl - Meier
Stutzle - Hischier - Niederreiter
Peterka - Sturm - Reichel
Lutz - Kurashev - Plante

Josi - Seider
Siegenthaler - Moser
Panocha- Gawanke

Grubauer
Waeber

Probably missing someone. All of the above should be playing on this side of the pond when the tournament starts.

That makes 6 teams.
I don't think any Germans, Swiss, Czechs or Slovaks will like that.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Ok so according to Swedish sources it would be longer than a week. FIN and SWE play once at home each (CAN and USA similar set up), then travel to NA, semifinals, finals and 3rd place match.

The idea of 4 teams alone is bad. But this mode is total nonsense "made by NHL officials". They can't even manage to install a small tournament (4 teams) in NA anymore. LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad