Next World Cup

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

So they can't get euros because no agreement... So maybe that is why no Czechs. But, like mentioned above... Bring in a few AHLers ... Today that could be svozil, Hajek, Simek, Spacek and Zboril.

A 4 team tournament.lol

This is really insulting to the Czechs. While they would most likely rank 5th on paper, they would have enough to ice a team. 1 of 3 countries to win a best on best in the last 25 years. The fact that they are being punished because Russia isn't invited makes it even worse.
I'm sure that Hasek is impressed.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This is really insulting to the Czechs. While they would most likely rank 5th on paper, they would have enough to ice a team. 1 of 3 countries to win a best on best in the last 25 years. The fact that they are being punished because Russia isn't invited makes it even worse.
Absolutely we'd be 5th ranked but we would have an all NHL roster with maybe 2 AHLers on D if Euro's can't participate. Today those AHLers include Simek, Zboril, Svozil, Spacek and Hajek. That's not terrible for a bottom pair. A year from now Spacek and Svozil may be seeing NHL ice. Every other position is easily all NHL players.

Time will tell how this tournament ends up. It is clear the NHL hates international hockey and people like me though.lol

Reactions: Eye of Ra

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Fluke that took away from some better hockey
That's sports. The miracle on ice was a fluke too but it's the greatest moment in U.S hockey, I'm sure the people of belarus look upon this as their greatest moment in hockey, nothing wrong with that, unless you're a Swedish fan.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
That's sports. The miracle on ice was a fluke too but it's the greatest moment in U.S hockey, I'm sure the people of belarus look upon this as their greatest moment in hockey, nothing wrong with that, unless you're a Swedish fan.

Sure, and then Belarus went on to lose 7-1 and 7-2.

If they have no hope of winning and the best you can hope for is to play spoiler there no point

4-5 maybe 6 teams is perfect for a hockey world cup

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

If they have no hope of winning and the best you can hope for is to play spoiler there no point

Well, don't agree,, a proper World Cup in hockey can have 8 teams at least I think.

Upsets make headlines, and hockey could use as many of them as possible.

Reactions: THE JAM

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Absolutely we'd be 5th ranked but we would have an all NHL roster with maybe 2 AHLers on D if Euro's can't participate. Today those AHLers include Simek, Zboril, Svozil, Spacek and Hajek. That's not terrible for a bottom pair. A year from now Spacek and Svozil may be seeing NHL ice. Every other position is easily all NHL players.

Time will tell how this tournament ends up. It is clear the NHL hates international hockey and people like me though.lol
I'm assuming it's because no other nation could fill a roster and they don't want to have an uneven amount of teams. Not saying it's right.

I tried to make teams with Swiss, German, Slovak, Latvia, Belarus, Denmark and Norway. (I know that Belarus wouldn't be invited regardless) I used the qualifications of NHL, AHL, ECHL or a drafted player currently playing major junior in NA. Not one of those teams could form a full roster. Latvia, Denmark and Norway combined couldn't. Belarus could actually ice 2 full forward lines, 6 D and 2 goaltenders - but i digress.

That's why I came up with the Czech/Slovak and Swiss/German teams.

If the option was combined team with Slovakia or not at all, what would you YOU prefer?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Belarus if you're curious. I misspoke, it's 2 full lines and a goalie. It puts them at 11th most eligible players.

Sharangovich - Protas - Klimovich
Loshko - Usau - Sidorov

Solovyov - Misyul
Kolyachonok - Kuzmin

Tolopilo

Reactions: Eye of Ra

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

Oh well. That’s hockey. Win the damn games you play and keep going. There’s tons of ugly NHL games through the season with pathetic lowly teams bloating the schedule annually yet no one complains about it. The European teams and their leagues have improved immensely since 2002.

Players & fans care about international representation at the highest best level and it’s important for any sport to have that for its best athletes. Even disregarding the ethics of the Olympic brand for morals and profit, the fact that NHL can’t seem to host a proper international event independently is pretty bush league.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
If the option was combined team with Slovakia or not at all, what would you YOU prefer?
My preference is NO team at all Combining us hurts us both.

To be clear, big fan of Slovaks and cheer for them so it isn't personal.

In 2016 - I honestly hoped the Swiss, German, Slovaks told the NHL to go f*** off and boycotted the tournament and there was no Team Europe at all.

I'd rather lose as Czechs then win as Team Europe. Not saying it is right to think this way, but that's my stance.lol

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
My preference is NO team at all Combining us hurts us both.

To be clear, big fan of Slovaks and cheer for them so it isn't personal.

In 2016 - I honestly hoped the Swiss, German, Slovaks told the NHL to go f*** off and boycotted the tournament and there was no Team Europe at all.

I'd rather lose as Czechs then win as Team Europe. Not saying it is right to think this way, but that's my stance.lol
No, you're certainly right to think this way.

Geographic knitted together small nations zone teams in a world cup.................... just what was the NHL thinking?

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
For an acceptable World Cup you need to first have qualification groups - this should be done every four years instead of the ridiculous all-star happening.
The qualified Final 4 will then battle off the next year and decide the winner.
Yes, countries that want to participate but need/want to add players that are not playing in North America need to fly them over - this is an NHL-organized tournament and will be played there.
Every country that wants to participate can do so - qualification groups are drawn after a deadline, when we know how many teams want to participate.

Naturally, you take into consideration that in every 4 years the Olympics is the best-on-best tournament.

Here's an example (I know it's too late to get started January 2024, but just as a draft):
2024 January/February- instead of the all-star week - Qualification to 2025 World Cup Final Four
2025 January/February - instead of the all-star week - WORLD CUP Final 4
2026 February - THE OLYMPICS

2027 January/February- instead of the all-star week - Qualification to 2028 World Cup Final 4
2028 January/February - instead of the all-star week - WORLD CUP Final 4
2029 rest year (or some kind of an all-star happening that is not as lame as it is today)
2030 February - THE OLYMPICS

2031 January/February- instead of the all-star week - Qualification to 2032 World Cup Final 4
2032 January/February - instead of the all-star week - WORLD CUP Final 4
2033 rest year (or some kind of an all-star happening that is not as lame as it is today)
2034 February - THE OLYMPICS

Best of all: you have some kind of best-on-best hockey almost every year!

Last edited:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I just want to watch Pasta in a world competition. The guy is too much of an awesome character for the NHL to not highlight him whenever possible. He's the next generation of player they need to lean on. Big skill, big personality, natural in front of the camera.

Reactions: Zero Pucks Given

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It'd be like a soccer world cup that combines Canada/USA ... no thanks!lol

It'd be like a soccer world cup that combines Canada/USA ... no thanks!lol
You know what? I think they may even have outdone themselves with this 4 nations cup/challenge bullshit, it might even be a worse idea.

I just don't understand these guys anymore geez...............bring Back Alan Eagleson again if this is what we can expect, no kidding!!

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
You know what? I think they may even have outdone themselves with this 4 nations cup/challenge bullshit, it might even be a worse idea.

I just don't understand these guys anymore geez...............bring Back Alan Eagleson again if this is what we can expect, no kidding!!
Hell, Don Cherry could do a better job.lol

@namttebih FTR.. I don't want a 5 team tournament but it's totally doable. Everyone plays eveyrone once. Top 2 play for gold. Profit. Easy to schedule that.

Reactions: namttebih

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

@namttebih FTR.. I don't want a 5 team tournament but it's totally doable. Everyone plays eveyrone once. Top 2 play for gold. Profit. Easy to schedule that.
I miss Don, there is ZERO compelling entertainment between periods anymore.

People can say what they want about him but................................................it's dullsville now.

Reactions: THE JAM

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I miss Don, there is ZERO compelling entertainment between periods anymore.

People can say what they want about him but................................................it's dullsville now.
Both things can be true.lol

I didn't like Cherry at all and am glad he's gone

I cannot remember the last time I willingly watched a intermission panel.. they all suck. TSN, CBC and Sportsnet. That panel Gretzky is on is shit too (Fox?).

Zero personalities. I enjoy Bieksa a bit. Even as a guy who couldn't stand Cherry.. I watched Coaches Corner for at least a decade. I'd even watch it on Youtube if I missed it the next morning.

I think of Basketball where they got a guy like Shaq or Barkley talking some shit and my solution is simple.. give the intermission to Biznasty and Spitting Chicklets. I'm not a fan of them either but I'd watch!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Both things can be true.lol

I didn't like Cherry at all and am glad he's gone

I cannot remember the last time I willingly watched a intermission panel.. they all suck. TSN, CBC and Sportsnet. That panel Gretzky is on is shit too (Fox?).

Zero personalities. I enjoy Bieksa a bit. Even as a guy who couldn't stand Cherry.. I watched Coaches Corner for at least a decade. I'd even watch it on Youtube if I missed it the next morning.

I think of Basketball where they got a guy like Shaq or Barkley talking some shit and my solution is simple.. give the intermission to Biznasty and Spitting Chicklets. I'm not a fan of them either but I'd watch!
Agree on Bieksa, and to the same extent..................enjoy him a bit, but that's it. I can't think of a single person other them him that moves the needle at all and most are downright boring.I'd be down with your idea, anything is better then the current situation.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Agree on Bieksa, and to the same extent..................enjoy him a bit, but that's it. I can't think of a single person other them him that moves the needle at all and most are downright boring.I'd be down with your idea, anything is better then the current situation.
Jeff O'Neil is actually pretty great on the radio. He seems to be a little neutered on the TV broadcast.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

For sure. I'd much rather 5 as well. You could even give a bye to the top team and have 2 vs 3 to face them after.

As I said earlier, you guys have always been part of the elite 6 and it's totally insulting that you're not included.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NHL has just said that the next World Cup Of Hockey will be 4 teams. Please tell me this is a joke that the NHL wants to do a 4 country World Cup Of Hockey? Why do they have to screw with the WCOH tournament? Last time we got the goofy North America and Team Europe, now just 4 teams? What a joke why can't they just do like they did from 1976 to 2004 no one was complaining about that format so why change it? To call something a world tournament of best on best and only have 4 countries is a joke NHL should be embarrassed. I think NHL thinks nothing but the big 4(or 5) in hockey can compete, but we seen upsets at WCOH before, like Czechs going to the finals at the 76 tournament, the Swedes going the finals in 84 and Finland going to the finals in 2004, Even 1991/1996 with team USA making it to the finals was a surprise as the USA was pretty bad in most international tournaments in the 80s and 90s.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
dear god lol these idiots can't do anything properly. just do a 10 team world cup based on the world rankings.. have teams 9th to 14th compete in a tournament for the final 2 spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad