Next World Cup

independent observer

Apr 9, 2023
Does anyone know when and where the next World Cup will take place?

Instead of a Team Europe I would like to see more teams from Europe or at least a DACH team (Germany, Switzerland, Austria). Similar culture and all speak the same languages. Shows also how much hockey evolved in other countries… That team would be difficult to beat:

G:
Grubauer
Schmid

D:
Seider
Reinbacher
Siegenthaler
Moser
Josi
Berni

F:
Peterka
Reichel
Sturm
Stützle
Draisaitl
Hischier
Fiala
Meier
Niederreiter
Kurashev
Suter
Malgin

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
well in that case Denmark and Norway should join Sweden. Similar culture and all speak the same language (almost).

Zuccarello and Ehlers, rest would be swedes.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
well in that case Denmark and Norway should join Sweden. Similar culture and all speak the same language (almost).

Finland doesn’t speak the same language but culturally they are very similar. Sweden and Norway are in many ways more similar to Finland than to Denmark.

US+Canada.

Czechia+Slovakia.

Voilà four teams.

No but honestly lets not.

If you don’t get europe you might get smashed and come up with this. Honestly this is probably what the genius NHL execs in charge of the gimmick teams for the 2016 world cup did.

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava

Hopefully, never ever.

The real "World Cup" is happening right now, these days. It's called the World Championships, you know.

And once the NHL stops sabotaging it, and joins every single other top-level hockey league from around the world to accommodate this annual tournament with an esteemed tradition of decades, we will have a proper best-on-best event every single year. :thumbu:

Preferably around mid-February, as befits a winter sport. Of course, it would be skipped every fourth year, in favor of the Olympics.

Very simple, isn't it? No need for silly travesties called "World Cup".

Naturally, a proper World Championships tournament would take place in North America just as frequently as it would in Europe. This is already a given in the junior tier, so the "adult" tier simply needs to follow suit.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Hopefully, never ever.

The real "World Cup" is happening right now, these days. It's called the World Championships, you know.

And once the NHL stops sabotaging it, and joins every single other top-level hockey league from around the world to accommodate this annual tournament with an esteemed tradition of decades, we will have a proper best-on-best event every single year. :thumbu:

Preferably around mid-February, as befits a winter sport. Of course, it would be skipped every fourth year, in favor of the Olympics.

Very simple, isn't it? No need for silly travesties called "World Cup".

Naturally, a proper World Championships tournament would take place in North America just as frequently as it would in Europe. This is already a given in the junior tier, so the "adult" tier simply needs to follow suit.

If it was held in September it wouldn't be an issue.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Problem is, the NHL would get pissy because 1. They’re not running it themselves and does therefore not stand to make any real money off of it 2. To them international tournaments are a liability because their multi-million dollar athletes could get injured.

So I think holding it once a year would be a stretch in this case. Every fourth year would be ridiculous though. So maybe every other year?

Reactions: Rob

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Problem is, the NHL would get pissy because 1. They’re not running it themselves and does therefore not stand to make any real money off of it 2. To them international tournaments are a liability because their multi-million dollar athletes could get injured.

So I think holding it once a year would be a stretch in this case. Every fourth year would be ridiculous though. So maybe every other year?
I have a crazy idea myself. A world cup with just national teams and no age restrictions.

Instead of a Team Europe I would like to see more teams from Europe or at least a DACH team (Germany, Switzerland, Austria). Similar culture and all speak the same languages. Shows also how much hockey evolved in other countries… That team would be difficult to beat:

G:
Grubauer
Schmid

D:
Seider
Reinbacher
Siegenthaler
Moser
Josi
Berni

F:
Peterka
Reichel
Sturm
Stützle
Draisaitl
Hischier
Fiala
Meier
Niederreiter
Kurashev
Suter
Malgin
How is this still open?

There will be no tournament until further notice.
end of story

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava

It would – for us fans. Hockey is a winter sport. Just like you don't typically play beach volleyball in February (unless you're in Australia or warmer climates), you don't play hockey in September or in the summer. (Well, at least you shouldn't.)

Cancel the embarrassing "all-star weekend/break" once and for all. A true all-star event would be the annual World Championships/Olympics in mid-February, in a genuine best-on-best format.

Interrupt the regular season of all top-level hockey leagues around the world, including the NHL, for 2 weeks every February, to facilitate the annual best-on-best tournament.

Issue solved.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I have a crazy idea myself. A world cup with just national teams and no age restrictions.
I am calling the nice people in the white coats to give you your meds - that’s complete insanity!!

It would – for us fans. Hockey is a winter sport. Just like you don't typically play beach volleyball in February (unless you're in Australia or warmer climates), you don't play hockey in September or in the summer. (Well, at least you shouldn't.)

Cancel the embarrassing "all-star weekend/break" once and for all. A true all-star event would be the annual World Championships/Olympics in mid-February, in a genuine best-on-best format.

Interrupt the regular season of all top-level hockey leagues around the world, including the NHL, for 2 weeks every February, to facilitate the annual best-on-best tournament.

Issue solved.
Interrupting the regular season is far too much of a disruption every single year. But every four years (like the football World Cup of the Olympics) should work just fine. And did work for a while. But every year? No.

Rompane

Jan 16, 2021
There definetly should not be those combination teams. They battle against meaning of national teams. They were pretty great the last time but still they tarnish the image. Its odd to win some team Europe in final if you are in Canada jersey.

There should be 8 best national teams like in world cup 2004. Canada, Finland, (Russia if the they have stopped the war and let back in), Sweden, Czech, Usa, Switzerland, Germany and Slovakia.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich

My two cents as a Swiss. We have a good enough roster to hang with everyone on such a tournament in one game, no need to collaborate with other countries. The best 8/10/12 - whatever the format is - countries should go - full stop.

And to your roster: Berni did not even make the Swiss team this year, with Josi and Bichsel out, he would currently not be on such a roster.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

G:
Grubauer
Schmid

D:
Seider
Reinbacher
Siegenthaler
Moser
Josi
Berni

F:
Peterka
Reichel
Sturm
Stützle
Draisaitl
Hischier
Fiala
Meier
Niederreiter
Kurashev
Suter
Malgin
You are missing the issue people had with Team Europe. You can do this at an All-Star competition but these shenanigans don't belong in the World Cup.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

Such a brilliant concept in its simplicity. :thumbu:

If a World Cup doesn't happen in 2025 I'm more confident that a USA-Canada Summit Series will happen. Especially if the Americans can pull off a Gold Medal performance at the WHC this year and Canada has a 1/4 final epic fail like the one Benn-Getzlaf-Perry managed to pull off in 2012. I can see the NY suits being a little braver if that happens.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Sweden - Finland was basically the same country for some 600yrs and the culture is the same. Hey also language - I`m a swedish speaking Finn myself. Here is our lineup:

Landeskog - Barkov - Rantanen
Hintz - Pettersson - Nylander
Laine - Aho - Forsberg
Zibanejad - Lindholm - Burakovsky

Heiskanen - Dahlin
Karlsson - Hedman
Lindholm - Ekholm/Andersson

Saros
Ullmark

Reactions: EK47

independent observer

Apr 9, 2023
Since in North America people speak English, Canada and the US should also have one team.

We could do just four teams:

North America (us, canada)
Scandinavia (fins, sweds, norway and dnmk)
Eastern Europe (slovaks, czech n russia)
Western Europe (austrians, swiss, germans)

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Let's have a lottery where we pick 12 countries out the 195 we have. Then we have another lottery where we divide the players that the 12 coaches choose among them.
So we can have a real world cup where every country on the planet has a fair chance to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad