Next World Cup

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
What an abomination. Fewer people will watch this than the ridiculous 2016 World Cup. Why can't the NHL, NHLPA and the various federations work out a meaningful and consistent international tournament?

Reactions: Tuoppi

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
So the NHL realizes we don't want gimmick teams (i.e. Team Europe) and instead of replacing them with actual nations, they just cut teams altogether? LOL what a joke. Let's ignore Russia for a second (though unpopular I see no issue in athlete's competing - the USSR was our enemy and we had no problem competing against them) - but no Czech Republic?? I know they are weaker than the late 90's - early 2010's but how could a team with Pastrnak, Zacha, Zadina, Hronek, Hertl, Vrana, Necas, Gudas, Chytil, Palat, Mrazek, not compete? What a joke.

Let's look at where Germany and Switzerland are too - arguably their rosters are even stronger:

Germany: Draistl, Stutzle, Peterka, Reichel, Sturm (D), Seider (D), Grubauer (G), It's not many guys but those are at least 3 all-star players, with some young guys who will be even better when this tournament roles around. The best team they would ever ice.

Switzerland: Fiala, Hischier, Kurashev, Niederriter, Meier, Suter, Josi (D), Seigenthaler (D), Moser (D), Schmid (G). This team on paper is probably better/deeper than the Czechs and Germans, not to mention the quality players they have in the Swiss A league. This team should absolutely be included in any competition.

Anything less than those 7 teams competing is a complete joke on the NHL's part. Way to leave a bunch of your best players out of the spotlight.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
What an abomination. Fewer people will watch this than the ridiculous 2016 World Cup. Why can't the NHL, NHLPA and the various federations work out a meaningful and consistent international tournament?
From what I've heard, the plan is to try for that in 2028. It's been talked for several months that 2025 was going to feature some kind of an international event but not a World Cup.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It’s turned out that it’s not going to be a World Cup; so I guess I was half right. Some sort of 4 team exhibition tournament? I really don’t know I don’t like this idea

It’s not going to be a World Cup apparently: I don’t know what the official name will be but it seems like some sort of showcase tournament to wet the appetite for 2026
Yeah, this thing should be referred to as "Not the World Cup".

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Only the NHL could ruin something that is straightforward to organize.

The tournament should have 6-8 teams and be longer than a week. You will need time to let things marinate and not act like it's an exhibition tournament.

Plus, the idea of not having a powerhouse like Russia with all of its talent is already going to hurt the tournament.
What's wrong with it being a short exhibition tourney? I can kind of see an objection if they were calling it a World Cup but they aren't. So, why not just accept it for what it is, instead of rejecting it for what it isn't?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What's wrong with it being a short exhibition tourney? I can kind of see an objection if they were calling it a World Cup but they aren't. So, why not just accept it for what it is, instead of rejecting it for what it isn't?
Well 4 countries for starters. Plus if they intend to have Finland and Sweden play in their respective countries, the winner of that pairing would be jet lagged against the North American finalist, thus tilting the whole tournament heavily in Can/US favor.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Well 4 countries for starters. Plus if they intend to have Finland and Sweden play in their respective countries, the winner of that pairing would be jet lagged against the North American finalist, thus tilting the whole tournament heavily in Can/US favor.
Why would the Swedish and Finnish teams play at home? It will be like pretty much all international tourneys and hosted in one spot -- almost certainly an NHL city.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Why would the Swedish and Finnish teams play at home? It will be like pretty much all international tourneys and hosted in one spot -- almost certainly an NHL city.
They don't really want to have those teams anywhere in North America. Especially not in the tournament final as opposed to Team USA and Team Canada in a best of 3/5/7 series.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
A 1 week tournament... And they want games played in Europe? So they'll fly the Finn's and Swedes (all playing in NHL) to play in Helsinki or Sweden and then fly them back?lok

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
A 1 week tournament... And they want games played in Europe? So they'll fly the Finn's and Swedes (all playing in NHL) to play in Helsinki or Sweden and then fly them back?lok
It’s better not to have a tournament than to have one this way, unless it’s basically on all star game replacement this is unfortunately not best on best. Wish it could just be a proper formatted tournament

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It’s better not to have a tournament than to have one this way, unless it’s basically on all star game replacement this is unfortunately not best on best. Wish it could just be a proper formatted tournament
Honestly... If this is the plan the. Have a super series between us and Canada. Play it in Toronto and NY and best of 5.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I honestly didn't think the world cup of 2016 could be made worse... Here we are.

Reactions: Jussi

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
It hasn't occurred to you that the players themselves might not be interested in playing? Players have been saying publicly that they support Russia's exclusion until they get out of Ukraine.

A Team NHLPA Russia would have no ties to the Russian government, Hockey Federation, KHL, or any entity responsible for decisions in Ukraine. Shit, they'd probably be coached by a American or Canadian.

If certain European players still take issue with that, they're hypocrites considering they make millions playing with and against those same Russians on a nightly basis in the NHL.
Shows where their allegiance$ truly lie.

• Wow
Reactions: Sentinel and ViD

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Agree with all of it. Even the US vs Canada series. They are literally setting up an NHL showcase wihtout Seider, Josi, Pasta, Stutzel etc.

My only dream is that the Finn's and Swedes are in the finals and ratings tank!

FTR... I would watch Sweden and Finland and would love it but the general NHL crowd they want clearly want US and Canada in the final.
If the North Americans are so ignorant, then they should play a two-team tournament in NA. “Best of 7, 9 or 11” as far as I’m concerned. Then they should play against each other forever. The rest of the world plays a normal tournament in Europe (SWE, FIN, CZE, SUI, GER, SVK, LAT, DEN). ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad