Speculation: Next Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I still like Torts, I know he's retired from/taking a break from coaching right now, but I think he'd be the right coach for the team in terms of style and accountability.

Him screaming at players and refs for f***ing up would be a nice change of pace versus Blashill just staring in silence for 60 mins.
Agreed.

Some will question if he's "good with the kids"...These are guys in their 20s/30s - not a bunch of 14 yr olds.
Post automatically merged:

I hope Babs never gets a NHL job again.
1651396958000.png

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I think Babcock’s time has passed, at least in Detroit. Torts and Yzerman seem like oil and water. I’m ok with Lambert but I hope we don’t pass on Kasper and take Brad Lambert to sweeten the deal

Reactions: evolutionbaby

burbankmarc

Oct 17, 2014
I want Babcock ....
Yikes. The dude that squandered prime Z, and Dats? The guy that refused to put them together even though they stated how much they liked playing together? The guy that locked into the "piano puller" requirement and forced Dats to play with Abdelkader on his wing? The asshat that would bench players so they wouldn't hit milestones just to mess with them? The jackass that drove Franzen to therapy?

f*** that guy.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Is Lambert too system oriented? It would be the only question. You don’t like to see coaches shoving squares into circles. A lot of long time assistants do this after getting their shot.

He’s the name you hear the most but others they should look at include, Tony Granato, who’s done well with young players at Wisconsin, Rick Tocchet and Edmonton Oil Kings Head Coach Brad Lauer, who was an assistant in Tampa before heading to Edmonton and doing a great job as a Head Coach.
While it would bring me joy to see Granato out at Wisconsin I can't support it at the cost of seeing him here. He's been a disaster at UW and the fans are not happy that he was just extended a year there.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Is Lambert too system oriented? It would be the only question. You don’t like to see coaches shoving squares into circles. A lot of long time assistants do this after getting their shot.

He’s the name you hear the most but others they should look at include, Tony Granato, who’s done well with young players at Wisconsin, Rick Tocchet and Edmonton Oil Kings Head Coach Brad Lauer, who was an assistant in Tampa before heading to Edmonton and doing a great job as a Head Coach.

You don’t want Granato or Tocchet. We just got rid of garbage, man.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yikes. The dude that squandered prime Z, and Dats? The guy that refused to put them together even though they stated how much they liked playing together? The guy that locked into the "piano puller" requirement and forced Dats to play with Abdelkader on his wing? The asshat that would bench players so they wouldn't hit milestones just to mess with them? The jackass that drove Franzen to therapy?

f*** that guy.
I don't want Babcock to be the coach here, but most of your complaints about him simply aren't true.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm aware of the stories. But you're blaming him for intentions there's simply not evidence of.

You claim he squandered Dats and Z's prime. Not sure what evidence there is of that, other than your opinion that he didn't put them together all the time and make the Wings a one-line team.

Franzen had mental health problems that it sounds like the team wasn't aware of. Babcock is an a-hole and sounds like he treated Franzen like shit. But he didn't "put him into therapy."

Modano didn't get his games because Babcock benched him. Some would say it's an a-hole move. You have zero evidence he did it "just to mess with them." And the perpetually disgruntled MIke Commodore is not a reliable source.

I'm aware he put Abby on Datsyuk's line. Not sure how that's "forcing him."

Babcock sounds like an egomaniacal a-hole but the revisionist history and hyperbole about what happened is getting ridiculous.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

f*** that guy.
Players don't get to decide on the lineup. Not even star players should have the final say over who plays with who. Also, both of them enjoyed playing with other players as well and the two did spend significant time together on the ice. Every coach wants his strongest Centers to play Center though especially if Center depth isn't there.

The Franzen story is sad but he was always a bit too lazy and soft for my liking and in my view could have been a lot better if he played with a bit more energy. Babcock undoubtedly made some mistakes, was far from perfect and I don't think there's even an outside chance Yzerman is gonna hire him but since we don't know all the details you seem to be a bit quick judging Babcock.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

burbankmarc

Oct 17, 2014
I'm aware of the stories. But you're blaming him for intentions there's simply not evidence of.

You claim he squandered Dats and Z's prime. Not sure what evidence there is of that, other than your opinion that he didn't put them together all the time and make the Wings a one-line team.

Franzen had mental health problems that it sounds like the team wasn't aware of. Babcock is an a-hole and sounds like he treated Franzen like shit. But he didn't "put him into therapy."

Modano didn't get his games because Babcock benched him. Some would say it's an a-hole move. You have zero evidence he did it "just to mess with them." And the perpetually disgruntled MIke Commodore is not a reliable source.

I'm aware he put Abby on Datsyuk's line. Not sure how that's "forcing him."

Babcock sounds like an egomaniacal a-hole but the revisionist history and hyperbole about what happened is getting ridiculous.

Split hairs all you want but it still adds up to the guy being a complete asshole.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Split hairs all you want but it still adds up to the guy being a complete asshole.
Not worth losing sleep over it I guess. Babcock isn't gonna happen. Yzerman hired a young winner called Jon Cooper in Tampa and had success with it. He's likely to wanna copy what he did in Tampa so the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Derek Lalonde is the frontrunner for the job. Still relatively young, winning wherever he coached and Yzerman's hire in Tampa. Also was an assistant coach at Ferris State university and head coach of the Toledo Walleye so the Redwings/Michigan connection is there as well. Could also be a different younger coach with mostly minor league/European head coach experience of course but I just don't see Yzerman hiring any of the old dinosaurs.

Last edited:

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
No Babcock please. The players mental health is more important than hockey. Don't want that manipulative, narcissistic bastard near any of our players. And those of you suggesting him are truly clueless and tone deaf.

How about Todd Nelson? I wanted him to be promoted when he was in GR. Very progressive coach, led the Griffins to a Calder cup. Seems like a guy who'd do great with the young guys.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I wouldn't be too shocked if Tanguay was promoted, maybe he was brought in to get familar.
Does he have head coach experience? Not that I know of. They're likely to go with a younger coach but Tanguay is just that bit too green and it's not uncommon for teams to keep one assistant to smoothen transition when changing head coach. Makes perfect sense to me.

Tanguay is a smart hockey mind and someday somewhere he's gonna get the chance to run his own NHL bench but I don't think he's quite there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad