Speculation: Next Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm going way off the radar and picking David Carle. He coached under Jim Montgomery at Denver and the program has not missed a beat with him as head coach. He is young at 32 but he started coaching at a very young age due to a heart condition that prevented him from playing college or pro hockey. Fun fact: he was drafted by Tampa with their last pick in the 2008 draft mostly as a nice gesture as he played with Oren Koules's son at Shattuck St Marys.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If i were a betting man, I'd say 100% it's Lane Lambert.
Based on the fact that it's Yzerman making the call, certainly Lane Lambert and Derek Lalonde must be frontrunners for the job. I'd say 90% it's gonna be one of those two.

Other names with head coach experience and ties to Yzerman that come to mind and are probably available but are rather unlikely:

Dave Lewis
Glen Hanlon
Doug Shedden
Guy Boucher
Ted Nolan
Todd Richards
Adam Oates
Paul McLean
Dave Barr
Jim Hiller
Mark Lamb
Uwe Krupp

Some of them I could see assisting the new HC though.

If it's not Lalonde or Lambert, my money would be on somebody new, previously working in Europe or the AHL. Rikard Grönborg for example has been interviewed previously by NHL teams. A solution with previous NHL head coach experience and without ties to Yzerman I'd consider unlikely but Jim Montgomery could be such an option. Lost his gig in Dallas due to alcohol problems but it it didn't seem to affect his work there and he was popular. Probably deserving of a 2nd chance.

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
name to keep an eye on as Yzerman looks to hire the next Detroit Red Wings head coach: Benoit Groulx, current head coach of the Syracuse Crunch
1651349045779.png

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Don’t give two poops what happened with Q in Chicago. The management failed him. Go get Joel Q, now!!
I'd take Quenneville as well but I doubt Yzerman would bring in a long tenured NHL coach he doesn't have ties to. The new head coach is gonna be his guy, so likely either somebody he has history with or somebody rather new who hasn't coached (much) at NHL level.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I'm going to add to the debate and ask why Yzerman would give Blashill a 2 year extension just to fire him a year into for doing exactly what was expected?

Yzerman is a guy that sees things 5 steps ahead and I'm 100% sure Blashill is doing exactly what Yzerman knew he would do. So why would Yzerman give him a 2 year extension just to fire him?

Before people say Blashill isn't doing what was expected, remember I had to eat crow because I was literally the only one on this forum who had hopes Detroit would take a wildcard spot. Everyone laughed at me when I was vocal about it, and rightfully so.

All Blashill has done was what you expected. Except Seider and Raymond are likely Calder nominees. We had inconsistent goalie issues, Ned was overworked due to Greiss being so bad or injured. And I think after the 2nd half the season, Blashill was allowing the team to be more creative.

Unless the locker room is toxic, and if the players rally against playing for Blashill next season, then why would Yzerman fire Blashill. His job is to get us top 10 picks and help develop the kids. Zadina regressed, but Seider, Raymond, Ras, Vrana have been good. Bert and Larkin had career years. Pius Suter did as expected. Fabbri played as expected. Veleno was fine.

I know a coaching change would be fun. But realistically why would Yzerman give him 2 years only to fire him for doing what was expected? Yzerman isn't trying to ding the guys career. Firing him for having the season he had with what he had to work with would be troll move.
I think this was a very bad move.
I am not sure what Yzerman has in mind, but I think he is wrong.
We will see.

A new voice is always/often a right decision, but I am not sure if I agree with Yzerman. We will see.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Didn't some Swedish insider tweet out a few months ago that Detroit was interested in bringing over Gronborg? He's coaching in the Swiss league finals now I believe, but should be "available" soon.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Yeah, like I said. List of unlikely names. Lewis is pretty much out of the game.

My money is on Derek Lalonde but Lambert is possible as well.
It is too bad that Joel Quenneville was caught up in that major controversy in Chicago that led him to leave the Panthers. He would have to be reinstated in the NHL by Bettman. He could have been the guy for the Wings.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I'd take Quenneville as well but I doubt Yzerman would bring in a long tenured NHL coach he doesn't have ties to. The new head coach is gonna be his guy, so likely either somebody he has history with or somebody rather new who hasn't coached (much) at NHL level.
Quenneville would have to get permission by Bettman to be reinstated in the NHL.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Maybe unfair to Lambert, but I dislike Trotz hockey and am not crazy about the idea of hiring someone who coached in that system for 15 years or so.

I like his system, just not Trotz as a coach. His on ice coaching is poor and his lineup decisions are curious at the very least. His system may be conservative but it's effective. If Lambert is better at coaching and doesn't regularly sit skilled players for plugs and prospects for aging vets as a head coach then he should absolutely be an option.

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
Imagine if it's Babcock lol ...

Stevie had no qualms hiring him as Olympic coach in 2010/2014 knowing full well that he's not afraid of hurting some feelings in a locker room.

I imagine he'd love to get to play villian against that Toronto core for the next decade as he gets paid by two clubs to coach one.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Didn't some Swedish insider tweet out a few months ago that Detroit was interested in bringing over Gronborg? He's coaching in the Swiss league finals now I believe, but should be "available" soon.

Grönborg is coaching National League not Swiss League.

Also, signing him would cost Detroit some money. According to Swiss media, Grönborg had an NHL out clause in his contract but it expired on January 1st. He's now very much under contract for one more year in Zürich. I'm sure they'd let him go anyway if the money is right but we'll see.

I think he'll get his NHL gig sooner or later but I'm not sure it's gonna be the Redwings right now. Lalonde and Lambert are my favourites for the Redwings head coach gig.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I mean, we crap on Trotz’s system and how offensively stunted it is - he did coach the Caps for four seasons and won a cup, two President Trophies, and offensively dominant team year in and year out, and got them over the hump. Lane was there for all four years.

Maybe, crazy thought, the NSH and NYI teams weren’t really built for offense and Trotz coached with what talent he had. I will say whatever team Trotz/Lambert had in the better part of a decade - I could say that the team was going to be physical, always give a ton of effort, play sound defense, and was mentally tough. I mean what Trotz and by proxy for three year Lambert did with those NSH teams was impressive.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Imagine if it's Babcock lol ...

Stevie had no qualms hiring him as Olympic coach in 2010/2014 knowing full well that he's not afraid of hurting some feelings in a locker room.

I imagine he'd love to get to play villian against that Toronto core for the next decade as he gets paid by two clubs to coach one.

Wouldn't mind Babcock or Quenneville but I don't see Yzerman going there. I think he's gonna want his guy. Somebody without a long head coach history in the NHL, potentially also a bit younger than Babcock or Quenneville.

Reactions: theYman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad