News & Notes XLIII: Cam Ward is a Cute lil 10 Year Old

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I get this when I click on that. Are you sure he hasn't deleted it and you have a cached version?

View attachment 838349

Dunno. This is what I'm seeing:

Screenshot_20240319-184039.png

Unhinged Finn

Skunk is my spirit animal
May 1, 2022
As time goes on, it feels grosser and grosser to see people advocate for the parts of this game that cause CTE.

It’s a damn game. It’s entertainment. Nobody should suffer and die for our entertainment.
All the Matt Rempe hype makes me cringe for this exact reason.

It's like dui (not really but bad analogies are kind of my thing). You can get away with it for a while, but eventually you're going to injure someone and/or yourself seriously and permanently.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
As time goes on, it feels grosser and grosser to see people advocate for the parts of this game that cause CTE.

It’s a damn game. It’s entertainment. Nobody should suffer and die for our entertainment.
It's even more gross to know that DOPS is headed by a guy who actively advocated for making hockey even more violent than it already was before he took the job.

Like, if the NHL has their way, we are looking at a rash of CTE related illnesses, murders and suicides in about 15 years from now.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Bad week for former NHLers:

Although his ex-wife says he was "probably very drunk" when he died and did not kill himself.

• Wow
Reactions: DaveG

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Ytd Stats from NHL edge site.

Good insight into team's play with O (more) & D (less) zone time continuing to be outstanding coupled with work rate higher than league average (but not overwhelmingly so). Finally, skating speed is not as high as I would have thought but then again we do have a couple of slow pokes:

1711026584230.png

Reactions: DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Ytd Stats from NHL edge site.

Good insight into team's play with O (more) & D (less) zone time continuing to be outstanding coupled with work rate higher than league average (but not overwhelmingly so). Finally, skating speed is not as high as I would have thought but then again we do have a couple of slow pokes:

View attachment 839202
I think the first graph impacts the second. I would expect this team to do better in the 18-20 mph bursts, but that is the worst category. I think that's because you see fewer rushes out of the defensive zone for this team because they spend 46% of the time in the offensive zone and only 34.6% of the time in the defensive zone.

Add in dump and chase vs controlled entry most of the season, and you have fewer opportunities to get up to full speed, which means fewer bursts.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think the first graph impacts the second. I would expect this team to do better in the 18-20 mph bursts, but that is the worst category. I think that's because you see fewer rushes out of the defensive zone for this team because they spend 46% of the time in the offensive zone and only 34.6% of the time in the defensive zone.

Add in dump and chase vs controlled entry most of the season, and you have fewer opportunities to get up to full speed, which means fewer bursts.
I would have thought we skated more than other teams, just based on our man to man system. But maybe this metric is reduced based on how much we possess the puck. I'm sure the fancy stat wizards would know way more about this than me.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I would have thought we skated more than other teams, just based on our man to man system. But maybe this metric is reduced based on how much we possess the puck. I'm sure the fancy stat wizards would know way more about this than me.
That and once we gain the zone, it's a lot of small movements with perimeter passing...other than Necas nobody is really skating around the zone a lot WITH the puck or trying to find open spots. We play a lot of perimeter keep away with everyone manning their "zone", and we don't really drive the net like a lot of other teams.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If I’m not mistaken, a suspension needs to be announced before the team’s next game, so it sounds like Kotchetkov got off scot-free for his kick of Carlson. Although I’m not sure how “team’s next game” might apply to goalies, so I guess there’s still a chance.

Also, someone needs to create a GDT.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
If I’m not mistaken, a suspension needs to be announced before the team’s next game, so it sounds like Kotchetkov got off scot-free for his kick of Carlson. Although I’m not sure how “team’s next game” might apply to goalies, so I guess there’s still a chance.

Also, someone needs to create a GDT.
While I'm kinda shocked he didn't get at least a dressed down for that, I found it funny there would be any backlash. Carlson was skating right at him from behind in the crease and started that course well after the whistle. To me thats a f*** around and find out moment for Carlson.

Of course I was pretty out of it from pain meds so....

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
While I'm kinda shocked he didn't get at least a dressed down for that, I found it funny there would be any backlash. Carlson was skating right at him from behind in the crease and started that course well after the whistle. To me thats a f*** around and find out moment for Carlson.

Of course I was pretty out of it from pain meds so....

Well, it's the same thing as the Reilly suspension earlier this year. No one is saying a response wasn't warranted. It's HOW PK chose to respond that should have earned him some disciplinary action.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Well, it's the same thing as the Reilly suspension earlier this year. No one is saying a response wasn't warranted. It's HOW PK chose to respond that should have earned him some disciplinary action.
Well I completely disagree. Reilly responded to a kid showboating, Koochie had someone skate up behind up when there was zero reason for him to be there. I get PK's response was pretty hot headed ut for all he knew Carlson was coming up behind him "innocently" run into him.

Much closer to a self defense type thing.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Well I completely disagree. Reilly responded to a kid showboating, Koochie had someone skate up behind up when there was zero reason for him to be there. I get PK's response was pretty hot headed ut for all he knew Carlson was coming up behind him "innocently" run into him.

Plus, it's not like Carlson hasn't been hacking PK all game without the refs doing anything about it. There was absolutely reason to believe he was going to run PK in that moment. He f***ed around and found out

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Also the only response that kid deserved for a slap shot empty netter was a little push and "come on kid we don't act like that in this league"

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Plus, it's not like Carlson hasn't been hacking PK all game without the refs doing anything about it. There was absolutely reason to believe he was going to run PK in that moment. He f***ed around and found out

Even if Carlson was going to try and start trouble (and there was no indication that was the case), a more appropriate response would be to slash him with the stick, give him the stink glove, etc.

There's ZERO reason one should be kicking with skates on. There are literal blades at the end of those kicks. If the kick had resulted in a lacerated tendon, would you still feel it was "self defense"?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Even if Carlson was going to try and start trouble (and there was no indication that was the case), a more appropriate response would be to slash him with the stick, give him the stink glove, etc.

There's ZERO reason one should be kicking with skates on. There are literal blades at the end of those kicks. If the kick had resulted in a lacerated tendon, would you still feel it was "self defense"?
If the refs would do their job it wouldn't have been a problem

I am tiring of people acting like the players need to just keep turning the other cheek when refs allow their opponent to assault them all game. Eventually they're going to snap.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If the refs would do their job it wouldn't have been a problem

I am tiring of people acting like the players need to just keep turning the other cheek when refs allow their opponent to assault them all game. Eventually they're going to snap.

Again, no one is saying PK shouldn't have responded. But there were plenty of options available to him to respond aggressively that didn't involve attempting to cut a dude with his skate.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Even if Carlson was going to try and start trouble (and there was no indication that was the case),
So what exactly was Carlson planning on doing while skating up behind a goalie well after the whistle blew after he had been swinging at him all game?

Come on man. Clearly obvious Carlson was planning on continuing to screw with PK, was PK's reaction over the top sure but you wanna know how to not get kicked at by a goalie? Don't be behind a goalie in the blue paint between the goalie and the goal about 5 seconds after the whistle blows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad