News & Notes XLIII: Cam Ward is a Cute lil 10 Year Old

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So what exactly was Carlson planning on doing while skating up behind a goalie well after the whistle blew after he had been swinging at him all game?

Come on man. Clearly obvious Carlson was planning on continuing to screw with PK, was PK's reaction over the top sure but you wanna know how to not get kicked at by a goalie? Don't be behind a goalie in the blue paint between the goalie and the goal about 5 seconds after the whistle blows.

You might want to watch the replay again, because your sense of time is all screwed up. 5 seconds, really?

PK extends out from the net, gloving the puck to make the save. Carlson, who was beside PK when the shot was taken, starts to head towards his new location. I’m not in his mind, but I’m assuming he’s doing what any hockey player does in that situation, and is looking for a loose puck in case PK wasn’t 100% on the save (which wouldn’t have been unusual given how that game had played out thus far). As Carlson is heading towards PK’s new location, the whistle blows, PK looks over his shoulder, sees Carlson there and kicks his skates out.

It’s a dangerous play. Not only for Carlson, but Kuzy was right there as well, and with the way Carlson fell, Kuzy could have been cut by HIS blades.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
You might want to watch the replay again, because your sense of time is all screwed up. 5 seconds, really?

PK extends out from the net, gloving the puck to make the save. Carlson, who was beside PK when the shot was taken, starts to head towards his new location. I’m not in his mind, but I’m assuming he’s doing what any hockey player does in that situation, and is looking for a loose puck in case PK wasn’t 100% on the save (which wouldn’t have been unusual given how that game had played out thus far). As Carlson is heading towards PK’s new location, the whistle blows, PK looks over his shoulder, sees Carlson there and kicks his skates out.

It’s a dangerous play. Not only for Carlson, but Kuzy was right there as well, and with the way Carlson fell, Kuzy could have been cut by HIS blades.

5 seconds is certainly an exaggeration however PK caught the puck when Carlson was damn near behind the net, there is zero reason for Carlson to skate that direction other than to screw with the goalie. That video starts after PK caught the puck and is already moving forward.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think he was tripping him, and it’s a very heated game. I don’t mind that he tried to trip him at all but the angle made it at least look like it’s blades out whether he really meant to do it that way or not. I really don’t think he did.

I think discipline is appropriate with the blade being out, you can’t kick. I don’t think it was a kick as much as an aggressive move to trip him for being back there. I’m sure Koochie had been getting some contact. Still it can never look like a kick.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
5 seconds is certainly an exaggeration however PK caught the puck when Carlson was damn near behind the net, there is zero reason for Carlson to skate that direction other than to screw with the goalie. That video starts after PK caught the puck and is already moving forward.

“Zero reason”? I provided you a reason. He’s moving in that direction to be in a position to score if PK wasn’t 100% on the save.

It happens literally every game. Goalie has the puck, players move towards goalie in case the puck gets loose. They only stop when the whistle blows.

And considering the majority of thr Caps goals that game were scored within a few ft of the goal, it was the smart play.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
“Zero reason”? I provided you a reason. He’s moving in that direction to be in a position to score if PK wasn’t 100% on the save.

It happens literally every game. Goalie has the puck, players move towards goalie in case the puck gets loose. They only stop when the whistle blows.
So tell me exactly how Carlson thinks he is going to play a puck, if it gets dropped when its going to be dropped directly in front of the goalie and he is directly behind to goalie?

Reactions: cptjeff

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Much closer to a self defense type thing.
Bullshit.

Leg whipping someone with your skate is not self defense. It's just not. Sorry.

Hockey is a rough game. But there are certain things that you don't do, ever, because they aren't hockey plays and they aren't safe. Swinging your stick at someone's head. Slewfooting somebody. Swinging your skate -- which, again, *literally killed somebody* earlier this year.

Pop quiz: why is it illegal to kick the puck in with your skate?

Doesn't matter what Carlsen did. Doesn't matter why he was there. Don't swing your skate blade at somebody. Period. It's just not that hard, folks.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So tell me exactly how Carlson thinks he is going to play a puck, if it gets dropped when its going to be dropped directly in front of the goalie and he is directly behind to goalie?

Well, hockey is generally played with hockey sticks, which are often used to extend the reach of the player holding said stick.

Like I said, when the shot was taken, both PK and Carlson were by the net. PK extended out to cut off the angle and glove it. Carlson followed suit.

Tell me: If the puck did get loose, where would Carlson have the best chance to score? Beside PK or back beside the net?

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Like I said, when the shot was taken, both PK and Carlson were by the net. PK extended out to cut off the angle and glove it. Carlson followed suit.
When PK caught the puck Carlson was even or behind the net. PK was at the top of the crease and skating forward. His catch was a very exaggerated "I've caught the puck move". Carlson didn't need to be there to play hockey.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
My final words on this. We are obviously not seeing the same thing. I've already said he over reacted so I agree with that.
1. PK's skate never leaves the ice so calling it a kick is a little bit if an exaggeration, he tripped Carlson and did so with his skate blade facing out, dumb and reckless.
2. You won't get eating by a lion at a zoo unless you stupidly jump into its cage. Carlson was not trying to make a hockey play in amy way shape or form. PK had the puck clearly in his glove above the top of the crease before Carlson headed his way.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
1. PK's skate never leaves the ice so calling it a kick is a little bit if an exaggeration, he tripped Carlson and did so with his skate blade facing out, dumb and reckless.
His skate blade absolutely does leave the ice and deliberately so. He actually swings his leg forward before kicking it back, blade extended. It's indefensible, and you can be wrong as many times as you want.

I don't understand the desire to defend the indefensible because the guy wears our laundry. If a teammate of mine did that, we'd be f***ing pissed and apologizing to our opponents for it.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Ovi needs to get to 30 and then prepare for next year to break the record.
I want to see him hit 35 and drag the Caps into the playoffs, beat the Rags and then lose to us. Then break the record next year and add to it in 2 years to finish with 925+ goals. I still think if he really wanted to do it he could easily hit 1000 goals. Doubt he plays that long to do it though.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
So what do we do if he is on the ice for a goal against?
1711421478059.gif

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Let’s just take a moment to appreciate the quality writing that the cardiac canes website puts out.

My favourite line in the article has got to be:

The sports saying "no injury should never cost a player his spot" is a great and noble gesture

Never stop never stopping, guys.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Let’s just take a moment to appreciate the quality writing that the cardiac canes website puts out.

My favourite line in the article has got to be:

Never stop never stopping, guys.

I'm not so sure that this weasel double passive isn't there in purpose.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00