News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2017-18 Edition PART I

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Alexander Ovechkin is on pace for 206 goals. 2 hatties so far this season. Save some for the playoffs Ovie.:laugh:
Yeah and the leafs are on pace to score 615 goals as a team this year.

Reactions: MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's important for everyone to remember that the first 10 games of a season are a crap shoot. It really settles down after that. So don't get too excited about some of these teams dominating or getting crushed, even our own.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
It's important for everyone to remember that the first 10 games of a season are a crap shoot. It really settles down after that. So don't get too excited about some of these teams dominating or getting crushed, even our own.
Yes! Just a couple of seasons ago, Montreal went 10-0 then went on to miss the playoffs.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
How often is it that we can wake up on a Sunday morning and have a little fun with the standing? Enjoy the moment!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
How often is it that we can wake up on a Sunday morning and have a little fun with the standing? Enjoy the moment!

Oh, absolutely. Just don't read too much into these teams that look dominant when most people thought they'd be bottom dwellers.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Oh, absolutely. Just don't read too much into these teams that look dominant when most people thought they'd be bottom dwellers.
I don’t think anybody starts to draw any conclusions about teams until the beginning of November.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Yes! Just a couple of seasons ago, Montreal went 10-0 then went on to miss the playoffs.

That's almost impossible to do. Generally if you win 10 consecutive you're gonna make the playoffs unless you play insanely bad the other 70 games. Minnesota also led their division on 1/1 a few years back and missed. They were the only team to ever do that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And Sidney Crosby is still a cheap shot artist.

I know the narrative is always going to be about Crosby being a cheap shot artist, but a little context should be added since the person who tweeted didn't add it. Hartnell had literally just tried to take Crosby's head off with a cheap shot high stick to the head (notice Sid has no helmet on?), so Sid responded with a rabbit punch during a scrum.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I know the narrative is always going to be about Crosby being a cheap shot artist, but a little context should be added since the person who tweeted didn't add it. Hartnell had literally just tried to take Crosby's head off with a cheap shot high stick to the head (notice Sid has no helmet on?), so Sid responded with a rabbit punch during a scrum.
Which would be fine if we hadn’t seen Crosby do stuff like this before.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Which would be fine if we hadn’t seen Crosby do stuff like this before.

But that wasn't my point. The Tweet made it seem like Crosby was just randomly involved in a scrum with Hartnell and decided to take a shot at him. There was context as to why Crosby wanted to get a shot in at Hartnell, and I'd guarantee 100% of hockey players would have done the same thing to Hartnell after what he'd just done.

I'm not arguing that Crosby is an angel. I'm arguing that the person who tweeted that didn't paint the entire picture of what lead up to that event and just made it seem like "Crosby gonna Crosby" with zero provocation at all.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
But that wasn't my point. The Tweet made it seem like Crosby was just randomly involved in a scrum with Hartnell and decided to take a shot at him. There was context as to why Crosby wanted to get a shot in at Hartnell, and I'd guarantee 100% of hockey players would have done the same thing to Hartnell after what he'd just done.

I'm not arguing that Crosby is an angel. I'm arguing that the person who tweeted that didn't paint the entire picture of what lead up to that event and just made it seem like "Crosby gonna Crosby" with zero provocation at all.
Seems like you’re trying to justify Crosby doing something that would have gotten people railing at somebody like Matt Cooke if he had done that.

And things like that are part of the reason Crosby has things like you described Scott Hartnell doing to him time and again.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Seems like you’re trying to justify Crosby doing something that would have gotten people railing at somebody like Matt Cooke if he had done that.

And things like that are part of the reason Crosby has things like you described Scott Hartnell doing to him time and again.

If you honestly believe Hartnell would never head hunt Crosby if Crosby played a Lady Byng game, I'm not sure this is going anywhere. Hartnell does that kind of stuff to everyone. It's the kind of player he is. He didn't just try to head hunt Crosby because Crosby has a handful of dirty incidents in his past.

The fact that Crosby's part in this series of events is the one in question and not Hartnell trying to decapitate him suggests that peoples' dislike of Crosby will cloud their judgment over every single incident he's involved in.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If you honestly believe Hartnell would never head hunt Crosby if Crosby played a Lady Byng game, I'm not sure this is going anywhere. Hartnell does that kind of stuff to everyone. It's the kind of player he is. He didn't just try to head hunt Crosby because Crosby has a handful of dirty incidents in his past.

The fact that Crosby's part in this series of events is the one in question and not Hartnell trying to decapitate him suggests that peoples' dislike of Crosby will cloud their judgment over every single incident he's involved in.
Since you’ve already admitted that Crosby has been no angel over the years then you should also be able to admit that Crosby brings a lot of this on himself.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Since you’ve already admitted that Crosby has been no angel over the years then you should also be able to admit that Crosby brings a lot of this on himself.

I was just trying to give context to this specific incident to highlight that Crosby didn't just randomly decide to punch someone for no reason. I'm not trying to get into a discussion of what this board thinks of Crosby, because I know how he's seen around here. My only point was it wasn't just a random cheap shot at an innocent victim. It was aimed at someone who literally, seconds prior, tried to take his head off with a dirty high stick.

Reactions: dood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I was just trying to give context to this specific incident to highlight that Crosby didn't just randomly decide to punch someone for no reason. I'm not trying to get into a discussion of what this board thinks of Crosby, because I know how he's seen around here. My only point was it wasn't just a random cheap shot at an innocent victim. It was aimed at someone who literally, seconds prior, tried to take his head off with a dirty high stick.
If you can find video of that incident and post it I’d love to see it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If you can find video of that incident and post it I’d love to see it.

Can't find one online. I just watched it on tv (I don't record games unless I'm supposed to miss it and watch later). If you look at the boxscore, Hartnell did get a high sticking penalty on that sequence.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Can't find one online. I just watched it on tv (I don't record games unless I'm supposed to miss it and watch later). If you look at the boxscore, Hartnell did get a high sticking penalty on that sequence.
I looked on youtube and Googled it. No dice.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Crosby is amazing. I’d take him on my team 12 days a week. However, he’s been involved in more than his fair share of questionable incidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad