News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2017-18 Edition PART I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
Michael Grabner, Mr. Couldn't hit the ocean in a rowboat, goes to the Rags and becomes a top tier scorer. Unreal
His goals are a bit inflated due to all his EN goals. Honestly though, Capuano utilized him atrociously while he was here. Might be the single worse usage of a player during his tenure, and that's saying something. Pretty sure nobody got bounced and rotated around as much as Grabner did.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Michael Grabner, Mr. Couldn't hit the ocean in a rowboat, goes to the Rags and becomes a top tier scorer. Unreal
I feel like your criticism of Grabs is unfounded. He has a 13% career conversion rate on shots taken. That would be tied third on the isles (Lee and Eberle, tied with Tavares). Only player out of those 4 who didn't receive much pp time. He is scoring at 24 goals /82 games over his career, while currently being paid 2 million a year and being an excellent pker. His boardplay sucks, he is one-dimensional (rush/pk), but he received a lot of unjustified criticism on these boards. I wish he would be playing instead of chimera.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Yeah I remember that incident and that Ballard did in fact say he turned his back at the last second and essentially put himself in that spot. Martin was the league leader in hits for what? 4 consecutive seasons and has been suspended twice in his career. Once for the Ballard hit and once for fight night at the coliseum vs the pens in 2011. Comparing Wilson to Martin is laughable at best and that person clearly doesn't watch hockey. Wilson has been suspended multiple times more and is wreckless as hell. Sometimes I wish an Eric Cairns type player would just knock the **** outta that clown a la my avatar
The guy is a caps homer.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
His goals are a bit inflated due to all his EN goals. Honestly though, Capuano utilized him atrociously while he was here. Might be the single worse usage of a player during his tenure, and that's saying something. Pretty sure nobody got bounced and rotated around as much as Grabner did.

To be fair, be also sucked with the leafs

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I feel like your criticism of Grabs is unfounded. He has a 13% career conversion rate on shots taken. That would be tied third on the isles (Lee and Eberle, tied with Tavares). Only player out of those 4 who didn't receive much pp time. He is scoring at 24 goals /82 games over his career, while currently being paid 2 million a year and being an excellent pker. His boardplay sucks, he is one-dimensional (rush/pk), but he received a lot of unjustified criticism on these boards. I wish he would be playing instead of chimera.

He was the most streaky player I've ever seen and is terrible at puck possession (using my eyeballs, not stats). He burst onto the scene and had a 30+ goal season in his first full campaign. He didn't top 20 again until last season with the Rangers. He was a useful player, but so many here wanted him to be a regular in the top 6 (many wanting him to play on the top line with Tavares). He's not anything incredibly special though, just another fast player who isn't particularly great at anything else.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

The guy was a 50/50 proposition to just hit the net on the multiple breakaways towards the end of his time with us, had declining stats with the Isles (thanks in large part to Flintstone) but had 9 goals in a full season with the Leafs. He goes to the Rags and becomes a perennial 20 goal scorer.

I was neither a huge fan of his nor a hater, but hate that the Rags benefit from a castoff once again

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The Devils lead the Kings 2-0 after 1 period. They came out flying. We’d better do the same tomorrow. The Metro Division is a bitch and you can’t take a day off. No breathing room.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
4-0 Devils. The Kings look like they left their game in the Pacific time zone

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
He was the most streaky player I've ever seen and is terrible at puck possession (using my eyeballs, not stats). He burst onto the scene and had a 30+ goal season in his first full campaign. He didn't top 20 again until last season with the Rangers. He was a useful player, but so many here wanted him to be a regular in the top 6 (many wanting him to play on the top line with Tavares). He's not anything incredibly special though, just another fast player who isn't particularly great at anything else.
Completely agree he is bad at keeping possession. His inability to win board battles is detrimental to the cycle. On the pro side he is extremely disruptive cause of his speed and great stick to the opposition, but the net effect is negative.
But he really is a useful player. More importantly he was better for the majority of his time at the isles (he was way faster before his concussions and inguinal hernias). Shortened season he was on pace for somewhere between 25 and 30 goals playing with greats like Marty Reasoner. He also provided good playoffs (more physical than expected too), yet there was no thread when he got traded to Toronto. I think it is fair to say Grabs landed in the doghouse with not only cappy, but many fans too- in both cases more than he deserved.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Completely agree he is bad at keeping possession. His inability to win board battles is detrimental to the cycle. On the pro side he is extremely disruptive cause of his speed and great stick to the opposition, but the net effect is negative.
But he really is a useful player. More importantly he was better for the majority of his time at the isles (he was way faster before his concussions and inguinal hernias). Shortened season he was on pace for somewhere between 25 and 30 goals playing with greats like Marty Reasoner. He also provided good playoffs (more physical than expected too), yet there was no thread when he got traded to Toronto. I think it is fair to say Grabs landed in the doghouse with not only cappy, but many fans too- in both cases more than he deserved.

I think he's a guy that produces regardless of who his line mates are, because he made a living off the rush with his disruptive speed. I think Alain Vigneault's aggressive system works for him because it's utilizing his best asset.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
I think he's a guy that produces regardless of who his line mates are, because he made a living off the rush with his disruptive speed. I think Alain Vigneault's aggressive system works for him because it's utilizing his best asset.
He only ever really had chemistry with frans nielsen (didn't everyone?). I would be pumped if they try to sign him in the offseason to replace chimera.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Boy did CBJ look bad against Edmonton at home... on top of it Dubinsky got his arse handed to him by Matt Kassian, doubt Dubinsky plays against us and he has always been a pest against us

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
He only ever really had chemistry with frans nielsen (didn't everyone?). I would be pumped if they try to sign him in the offseason to replace chimera.

I wouldn't mind that either...however, I think he would ask for a lot more than 1.6 mill AAV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad