News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Probably not but it's like Porzingis taking shots at the Knicks...you gotta have some pelts on your wall first before you start defying your bosses.

This

For the record Josh is not wrong, there's much to criticize. I just think airing out his differences publicly is to his longer term detriment beyond the momentary gratification he'll get to enjoy by doing so.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That kid is just not smart at all.
You realise the national media in both countries is NOT doing a "He is dumb" take, they are doing a "He's 100% right about that dumpster fire organization" take right? Forget calling up JHS as a player, L&M should bring him up and make him the new GM. At least he's both aware of the team's problems and brutally honest, unlike Garth who is currently hiding in the pillow fort in his office.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i didn't see it until the mentioned it during the second intermission last night with the ducks oilers game and the 3on3 they played. while the hosts are right it was "smart" it is 1000000000000% horrible for what the nhl wants to do and they should for next year put in a rule next year you can't back track in overtime to wear out the other team. obviously this is a rough idea i put out there but there needs to be punishment if a team is deliberately not trying to drive the play. i remember the flyers and bolts played a game and they blew the play dead when the flyers didnt advance the puck and the bolts didn't go in and pursue them in the regular season maybe two years ago? so why not apply that thinking to overtime and blow the play dead if the team is just back tracking and playing keep away?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
i didn't see it until the mentioned it during the second intermission last night with the ducks oilers game and the 3on3 they played. while the hosts are right it was "smart" it is 1000000000000% horrible for what the nhl wants to do and they should for next year put in a rule next year you can't back track in overtime to wear out the other team. obviously this is a rough idea i put out there but there needs to be punishment if a team is deliberately not trying to drive the play. i remember the flyers and bolts played a game and they blew the play dead when the flyers didnt advance the puck and the bolts didn't go in and pursue them in the regular season maybe two years ago? so why not apply that thinking to overtime and blow the play dead if the team is just back tracking and playing keep away?

An over and back rule like lacrosse or a backcourt rule like hoops? Might work. At least worth experimenting with a bit in preseason.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
An over and back rule like lacrosse or a backcourt rule like hoops? Might work. At least worth experimenting with a bit in preseason.

yeah i was thinking of the backcourt rule too. give teams x amount of time to get past the blue line in the o zone and they can't willingly reset.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I don't like having a timer.

Giving the refs the discretion to blow the play dead if it's obvious they're playing keep-away. I know it opens up ambiguity from the refs, but I just don't see this being a regular problem.

Reactions: TheSituation

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I don't like having a timer.

Giving the refs the discretion to blow the play dead if it's obvious they're playing keep-away. I know it opens up ambiguity from the refs, but I just don't see this being a regular problem.

it does happen now though with teams willingly taking the puck out of the zone to reset and to wear out the other teams players which isn't really what the nhl intended when they came up with 3on3. now with what happened with the ducks i can see other teams starting to do something similar. so while its not really a problem now to that extreme why wait til it gets that bad to do something about it now?

My3Sons

Sponsor
it does happen now though with teams willingly taking the puck out of the zone to reset and to wear out the other teams players which isn't really what the nhl intended when they came up with 3on3. now with what happened with the ducks i can see other teams starting to do something similar. so while its not really a problem now to that extreme why wait til it gets that bad to do something about it now?

I recall an OT game against the Bolts early this season where TB kept trying moving picks in OT. Didn’t work very well as I recall but that plan is probably what happens if the ice gets restricted in OT.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
the second a team does this against hall/nico and win the game and you guys dont complain i will believe these comments.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
the second a team does this against hall/nico and win the game and you guys dont complain i will believe these comments.

We back track sometimes too so if we get burnt on it then it is what it is. 3 on 3 was to have less shootouts which definitely has seemed to worked.

Reactions: Darkauron

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Considering how much we've gotten boned this year by the refs and their "discretion," I'm shocked you would want to give officials even more power.

Just play the damn game, and officiate it. None of this "discretion" bull****

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If the Devils get into the playoffs, it seems like our match-up is going to be the Bruins, barring a Philly collapse.

Columbus is four points up (Devils have 1 game in hand) and it doesn't look like they're losing any time soon, so it'll be hard to jump them. Philly is three points ahead (Devils have 1 game in hand), but it'll be very hard to jump them in only five games without having the tie breaker.

Bruins are currently 1 point up on Tampa, with a game in hand. Their remaining schedule is:

vs. Panthers
@ Flyers
@ Lightning
@ Panthers
vs. Senators
vs. Panthers

So either the Bruins will finish off the Panthers for us and take the #1 Atlantic seed in the process or the Bruins choke in their remaining games against the Panthers and the Panthers possibly pass the Devils.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Hated him on our team, but this doesn't sound good. Best wishes to him and hiss family.

Freaks me out a bit that I'm the same age as him.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I was looking into the Islanders' coaching team to wonder how that staff can be such a mess and realized Scott Gomez is one if their coaches.

New York Islanders - Coaching Staff

That was not the most shocking part of their management however..
At some point they brought in Chris Lamoreillo as their assistant GM. How the hell did this happen? He was so bad in management that Lou marooned him in the AHL indefinately when he was here.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
At some point they brought in Chris Lamoreillo as their assistant GM. How the hell did this happen? He was so bad in management that Lou marooned him in the AHL indefinately when he was here.

when garth snow is your GM, anything is possible

Reactions: sabremike

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly Gomez has probably been a help if nothing else than for his work with Barzal. But yeah they don't exactly have a great management team from GM to coach.

Reactions: Darkauron

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Hated him on our team, but this doesn't sound good. Best wishes to him and hiss family.

Freaks me out a bit that I'm the same age as him.

Saw that last night. I was checking his career stats and had forgotten he was traded during the 99-00 season to Pheonix, thinking that he missed out on the Cup. He did win one though with Montreal in '93. Definitely doesn't sound promising though.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I was looking into the Islanders' coaching team to wonder how that staff can be such a mess and realized Scott Gomez is one if their coaches.

New York Islanders - Coaching Staff

That was not the most shocking part of their management however..

Scene opens in middle distance eye level shot. Norman Rockwell style black dining room table with white walls behind. Lou sits at the head of the table wearing a white shirt and black tie. Chris sits to Lou’s right so he appears on the left side of the screen. The only sound you hear is the slightly amplified breathing of the men. Think Kubrick.

Lou: You know your mother and I are going to Toronto.

Chris: Yes, mother told me.

Lou: We’re not taking you.

Chris: Yes, she told me that as well.

Lou: Did she? I’m not sure you needed to know that until now.

Chris: I’m sorry I should reported her breach of protocol.

Lou: Yes that would have been the correct thing to do. Please make a note of it for next time.

Both men sit in silence for an uncomfortable length of time before an old fashioned phone rings off screen.

Mrs Lamoriello (off screen): Chris it’s for you. Will you come into the kitchen please you know the cord won’t stretch that far.

Lou: (irritated). Who is it and who is he with and what does he want?

Mrs Lamoriello: it’s Ken Morrow with the New York Islanders. He wants to speak to Chris about the assistant general manger job with the team.

Lou: Son, we are a Toronto house now and I will not abide any disloyalty. Let him know you can’t take the job.

Chris gets up and leaves the room. Lou sits in silence. A muffled conversation can be heard but not in specifics. Chris returns to the room and sits down. There is an uncomfortably long silence.

Lou: I hope you didn’t tell him anything he didn’t need to know. Like where your mother and I are going.

Chris: (quietly) I took the job.

Lou looks at him.

Lou: Please repeat that.

Chris: I took the job.

Lou: You’re fired.

Chris: Mom can Dad fire me from another team?

Mrs Lamoriello: No dear he was just firing you as our son. I’m sure when your contract runs out with the Islanders and you are over the hill he will welcome you back into the family.

Reactions: Nemo4 and Darkauron

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Scene opens in middle distance eye level shot. Norman Rockwell style black dining room table with white walls behind. Lou sits at the head of the table wearing a white shirt and black tie. Chris sits to Lou’s right so he appears on the left side of the screen. The only sound you hear is the slightly amplified breathing of the men. Think Kubrick.

Lou: You know your mother and I are going to Toronto.

Chris: Yes, mother told me.

Lou: We’re not taking you.

Chris: Yes, she told me that as well.

Lou: Did she? I’m not sure you needed to know that until now.

Chris: I’m sorry I should reported her breach of protocol.

Lou: Yes that would have been the correct thing to do. Please make a note of it for next time.

Both men sit in silence for an uncomfortable length of time before an old fashioned phone rings off screen.

Mrs Lamoriello (off screen): Chris it’s for you. Will you come into the kitchen please you know the cord won’t stretch that far.

Lou: (irritated). Who is it and who is he with and what does he want?

Mrs Lamoriello: it’s Ken Morrow with the New York Islanders. He wants to speak to Chris about the assistant general manger job with the team.

Lou: Son, we are a Toronto house now and I will not abide any disloyalty. Let him know you can’t take the job.

Chris gets up and leaves the room. Lou sits in silence. A muffled conversation can be heard but not in specifics. Chris returns to the room and sits down. There is an uncomfortably long silence.

Lou: I hope you didn’t tell him anything he didn’t need to know. Like where your mother and I are going.

Chris: (quietly) I took the job.

Lou looks at him.

Lou: Please repeat that.

Chris: I took the job.

Lou: You’re fired.

Chris: Mom can Dad fire me from another team?

Mrs Lamoriello: No dear he was just firing you as our son. I’m sure when your contract runs out with the Islanders and you are over the hill he will welcome you back into the family.

LOL another classic to the Lou Drama Story. Amazing

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad