News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I know you are doing shtick on DD but you realize the reason they were so terrible was because of the abysmal Dead Weight being their coach? If they had even just a competent coach they are a playoff team and probably comfortably so. If they cancel the Garth and Doug Show, replace them with people who are competent and resign JT they will almost surely do a 180 next year.

Does any fanbase really like the coach? It seems result oriented. Maybe Tor fans like Babcock but let’s see if that holds up as Tor jettisons depth to sign their kids and doesn’t progress quickly to annual contender status.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Does any fanbase really like the coach? It seems result oriented. Maybe Tor fans like Babcock but let’s see if that holds up as Tor jettisons depth to sign their kids and doesn’t progress quickly to annual contender status.
That's very true, but Dead Weight isn't just a garden variety bad coach. Watch the Isles under his tutelage attempt to play defense. The basic fundamentals and basic positioning you'd expect from decent high school players much less pros is nowhere to be found. That's because they are literally coached to play that way in the joke that is Weight's defensive system. And the results? With 20 games left in the season the team set a record for most games allowing 50 or more shots. The data goes back to 1988 and since that time there have been 9 expansion teams. None matched the Isles dubious feat. Another mind blowing stat: the Islanders have allowed 5 or more goals in more than a quarter (27%) of their total games. If they even just had a regular bad bottom 5 defense instead of arguably the worst of the modern era they would very likely be in a playoff spot. In my 35 years of following the sport I have never seen a coach so badly obliterate his own team over a full season. Weight is so bad he makes Fail Housley, who in no way is qualified to be an NHL coach, look like Al Arbour in comparison.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
That kid is just not smart at all.

Agreed, just digging himself a deeper hole with the organization. Just a few months ago he was getting scratched by the Tigers and called out by the AHL coach. So if he can't even snark his way into the Tigers lineup, he thinks badmouthing the Isles is going to get him anywhere? Here's an idea, maybe respond to whatever the coaches want to see from you and take it from there...but no he'd rather shoot himself in the foot for the momentary satisfaction of speaking his mind (aka whining).

From January
https://nypost.com/2018/01/11/burning-years-off-my-career-growing-pains-for-josh-ho-sang/

Josh Ho-Sang was a healthy scratch for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the Islanders’ AHL affiliate, on Wednesday, and when Bridgeport’s head coach Brent Thompson was asked about the decision, he said the move was part of the learning process for his young player.

“He’s a baby,” Thompson said. “He’s a baby, he’s immature and he’s got a lot of growing to do. I’m excited. The upside of him is outstanding. He worked hard today, he’s been working really hard. We all make mistakes, we all have bad games. It’s how do we respond from those and what do we learn from them? Every piece of this season for Josh, with us, is a development piece. “It’s just going to be a longer process with some people.”

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Agreed, just digging himself a deeper hole with the organization. Just a few months ago he was getting scratched by the Tigers and called out by the AHL coach. So if he can't even snark his way into the Tigers lineup, he thinks badmouthing the Isles is going to get him anywhere? Here's an idea, maybe respond to whatever the coaches want to see from you and take it from there...but no he'd rather shoot himself in the foot for the momentary satisfaction of speaking his mind (aka whining).

From January
https://nypost.com/2018/01/11/burning-years-off-my-career-growing-pains-for-josh-ho-sang/

Josh Ho-Sang was a healthy scratch for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the Islanders’ AHL affiliate, on Wednesday, and when Bridgeport’s head coach Brent Thompson was asked about the decision, he said the move was part of the learning process for his young player.

“He’s a baby,” Thompson said. “He’s a baby, he’s immature and he’s got a lot of growing to do. I’m excited. The upside of him is outstanding. He worked hard today, he’s been working really hard. We all make mistakes, we all have bad games. It’s how do we respond from those and what do we learn from them? Every piece of this season for Josh, with us, is a development piece. “It’s just going to be a longer process with some people.”
context wise, i don't think "baby" was used offensively, other than in contrast to being "mature"

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
context wise, i don't think "baby" was used offensively, other than in contrast to being "mature"

"Baby" and "immature" in the same sentence sounds bad no matter the context. I don't suppose it stings any less for JHS to hear that about himself regardless of how one chooses to analyze context. He's not our problem so he can chirp all he wants, just saying he's doing himself no favors here.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Nothing Ho-sang said was wrong yes, but it is something that you should not do when you are already on thin ice. In addition to him pouting about any time he is sent down for not doing well...and then also not playing great as well

Reactions: mtnet

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
According to Bob McKenzie, it looks like Daniel Brickley will be signing with the Kings.

Brickley can burn the first year of his ELC by playing/dressing for a game. Jake Muzzin is out indefinitely, so that might've opened the door for the Kings to promise Brickley that he might get a token game even though they're fighting for a spot.

Edit: Burns a year without having to necessarily dress.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
https://nypost.com/2018/03/29/josh-ho-sang-vents-all-his-islanders-frustration/

Josh Ho-Sang has been buried at AHL Bridgeport for most of the season, while the Islanders have floundered out of playoff contention.

But the polarizing winger hasn’t been shy about voicing his frustrations with the whole ordeal.

“I love those guys [the Islanders], I want to make that clear,” Ho-Sang told The Athletic this week.

“I know they’re working hard. But I got sent down for defense and what are they in goals against in the NHL?” Ho-Sang said of a team that is dead last in that category. “I only played [22] games up there this year. I don’t think it’s my fault. They really painted it like it was my fault at the beginning of the year and I didn’t like that.

MajorWavyBaldeagle-max-1mb.gif

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
"Baby" and "immature" in the same sentence sounds bad no matter the context. I don't suppose it stings any less for JHS to hear that about himself regardless of how one chooses to analyze context. He's not our problem so he can chirp all he wants, just saying he's doing himself no favors here.
Is it not a double standard though? Coach can rip him, but he can't criticize the organization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad