News and Notes Part 13: Waddell has bought a house in Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
From now on, whenever That Man is mentioned in a thread, you should post that pic as your response.

I forget who it was, but someone else changed their name to "Seminal Velocity", then at my suggestion, also changed their user title to "28 mph"

I can't honestly believe Alex didn't know what he was doing when, given his last name, he decided to wear #28 :laugh:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I can't honestly believe Alex didn't know what he was doing when, given his last name, he decided to wear #28 :laugh:

You honestly can't believe that a professional athlete who spells his name Syomin in his native country, and who has used the metric system his whole life doesn't have an 8th grade sense of humor?

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
As a fan of 8th grade humor, I even had to look that up to verify what I thought it was.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
As I mentioned to Dave offline here's where my confusion's stemming from. Here we have two hockey cards (now I know they're card shots, which leads to some of the confusion)

217539e.jpg

Rod%20BrindAmour%2002.jpg

The first one clearly is a 1999-2000 season jersey. The Raleigh Sports Arena patch, the NHL 2000 patch, and the Steve Chiasson memorial patches are there and Brindy is wearing #27 - but he's wearing an "A."

The second one is more troublesome. The Raleigh Sports Arena and NHL 2000 patches are there, which would indicate 1999-2000, Brindy's wearing an A, but he's wearing #17, which would seem to indicate 2000-2001.
Roberts and Wesley were the A's when Brindy arrived. I think that the 27 A card was from a time when he temporarily wore the letter when one of those guys was out for a few games. My guess would be Roberts.

As for the Semin language debate, 10 years is plenty of time to learn English in the context of hockey-speak. It's not exactly rocket science. :laugh:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Actually, according to google translate, the Russian word for "semen" is: "сперма"

That is somewhat surprisingly similar to the spelling of his last name :laugh:

You still are ignoring that (a) he uses the metric systems, so 28 is and irrelevant number and (b) he likely doesn't think like an 8th grader. :sarcasm:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Staal makes $9.5M this year so I don't see why it would be surprising, that at this stage of the negotiations, he/his agent are asking for $9M. But Wally is probably right.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I know free agency is silly but he's got to know no one with half a brain is giving him $9 million, right?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I bet if he has a decent season this year and hits UFA, there will be teams that offer him close to that.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'd like to half-ass it at my job too and make $9 million. Who wants to hire me? Anyone?

Are you in a field with salaries in the millions, extremely talented in that field, willing to work through all sorts of ailments (ie..with broken bones when skating is key to your job) and be the top performer on your team for the past 6 seasons?

If not, then no, nobody would be willing to hire you whether you gave 50% or 100%. :naughty:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I am a hockey player, and I, too, think $9 million dollars a season is a fair price for my services, but would be willing to settle for less. I even did some squats the other day, I'm in prime physical condition and ready for NHL ice.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
surely he wouldn't refuse a trade and then walk as a free agent would he?

If it comes to that, it would depend on who he was being traded to, so of course he could refuse. It was a clause he negotiated into his contract and well within his right to do so.

If the Canes are still in the hunt (or on the bubble) by the deadline, he won't likely be moved anyhow.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I hope RF is ruthless that way, and doesn't allow Staal to leave for nothing just because of a playoff run.

I think I recall getting some scoffing remarks my way when I said Staal wouldn't be offering a discount and would be going for a minimal to non existent pay cut from his AAV. Despite the guffaws from us here and the hf main board he'd likely get it on the open market, maybe not 7 years. If he puts up 25 goals and 60 pts on our team he'll probably get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad