News and Notes Part 13: Waddell has bought a house in Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2013
Sick burn buddy. What country have I worked in for over a decade where the understanding of the predominant language of that country (and employer) is pretty vital to my success? Let's gloss over the "I'm not expecting the guy to be fluent" part as well, that'll up the wit level.

Vagrant at least has a decent point. But hasn't Semin himself said that he doesn't feel the need to? Might be easier to say that than putting a possible learning disability out for the public, but it doesn't help change the perception.

I didn't know you needed to know English to be a good hockey player

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Honest question, man. Languages are hard, and if you haven't been there, you haven't been there.

I know a bit of Spanish and a scosh of German. Neither of which I mentioned because it's not a fair comparison given they aren't nearly as difficult to learn as Russian (or for a Russian learning English). Nor have I lived in a Spanish or German speaking country for a decade. Nor did I claim Semin should be fluent in English.

I fail to see how questioning why Semin doesn't have a better grasp of the English language after spending ~9ish months a year in an English speaking country for 12 years is a shot at introverts everywhere (but I do appreciate the irony of that line, as I'm sure someone of your intellect would as well).

^Never said it did, and Semin's had plenty of success without it. Whoosh (am I redditing correctly, WTF?).

The Semin white knighting is pretty... interesting. He's one of my top 5 players of all time and a guy I like (and have defended countless times), but I guess I can't form an opinion on him since I don't know him personally.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Who gives a ****? Let the situation die for the love of God.

You know that will never happen Joe. I all but guarantee you that as soon as Semin has some success in Montreal, which I suspect he will, there will be a flood of posts. And the same will be true at the first sign of struggle or any other issues.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Jag pratar inte svenska. That's my whole point. :)

I found that I picked up Swedish pretty quick because I was already fluent in German and a lot of the vocabulary is pretty similar and the grammar//sentence construction is a **** ton simpler than German.

I remember Icelandic being a b**** to learn as a kid but grand dad forced us and I'm glad he did. Entire country only has ~320,000 people so it's a cool thing to have even if I really never get to use it.

Really cool thing is that it's not all that different from old Norse, so I can more or less read all the old sagas as they were originally written.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I have no idea why some took offense to what I said. It's not even a challenging statement. Learning a new language, as an adult, is ****ing difficult for most people. That's pretty widely regarded. One of my degrees is in Spanish, and I still have a lot of trouble with it. You can't just stick someone in a situation and expect that they'll pick it up, and that's to say nothing of one's personality. There are a TON of engineers (and other math-based professions) that probably couldn't write a paper to save their life. Likewise, you wouldn't find a lawyer doing calculus, but I'm pretty sure they're fairly well-read and most of the ones I know do speak second languages.

Honestly, I could go on, but you get the point. You can complain about so many other things regarding him and might have a valid argument. His inability to learn English isn't one of them. But Joe is right. Who. cares. He's a Canadien now.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
In an effort to get away from Semin:

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=780178

With that said, I think I can provide an acceptable answer to this question. Acquisitions made this summer, including Eddie Lack, James Wisniewski and Kris Versteeg, seem to have a common thread: personality.

Lack is a taco aficionado, so much so that he has a taco tattoo. Wisniewski is a self-described outgoing person and a talker. Versteeg might snag control of the locker room tunes. It’s an eclectic threesome that should help jazz up the room.

A taco aficionado? That's amazing. :laugh:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Pretty sure Eric stood up for Semin a lot that first season when former teammates were calling him lazy. Sure he might have been given a hard time a little, but I highly doubt he was being outright made fun of.

wolfofthesteppes

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Magic Theater
Semin was informally skating with these guys in Raleigh less than a month ago prior to signing in Montreal. If he didn't get along or had some conflict it seems unlikely he would have chosen to do that.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Question for anybody with a better knowledge of early(ish) Canes history than I. After Brind'Amour was traded here in 2000, was he ever designated an alternate captain at home during the remainder of that 1999-2000 season? I've found a pic of him at an away game sporting an "A" but haven't found anything from home and I've had no luck finding old gameday roster reports that might have that info.

Reactions: sheriff bart

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't think he was given that A until 2000-01, our leadership group at the time we acquired him was (IIRC) Francis (C), Wesley (A), Roberts (A). When Roberts left Rod took over.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
As I mentioned to Dave offline here's where my confusion's stemming from. Here we have two hockey cards (now I know they're card shots, which leads to some of the confusion)

217539e.jpg

Rod%20BrindAmour%2002.jpg

The first one clearly is a 1999-2000 season jersey. The Raleigh Sports Arena patch, the NHL 2000 patch, and the Steve Chiasson memorial patches are there and Brindy is wearing #27 - but he's wearing an "A."

The second one is more troublesome. The Raleigh Sports Arena and NHL 2000 patches are there, which would indicate 1999-2000, Brindy's wearing an A, but he's wearing #17, which would seem to indicate 2000-2001.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Over/Under on Bovada for Canes wins is 30. As pessimistic as I am that seems impossibly low. That was their win total last year and it's their lowest since the lockout. If I were a betting man, and I'm not, Id bet the over hard....and lose all of my money.

Jun 13, 2010
NC
Good bit of Canes optimism in this thread, surprisingly.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1956865

That's really all it is - optimism. If the new additions have a noticeably positive impact and everyone who had a slack year last season (Staals, Skinner, Ward) step up their game then we really shouldn't be a bottom 5-10 team. However that can be said about literally any team in the league. To really be much better than that, to be in the hunt for the playoffs or even in them as some in that thread are predicting, would take all of the above IN ADDITION TO no major injuries, young players continuing on an upward trend, and good coaching. So we'd really need our lucky stars to align in order to push for the playoffs this season. IMO we're most likely to see only 2 or 3 of those 5 things happen above and end up out of the playoffs again.

And to be honest, while I would love to see the Canes get back in the playoffs ASAP, I am fine with taking RF's approach to things: Hopefully building a team that can be a consistent contender. Being in the hunt for the playoffs this season would certainly make for some interesting and potentially franchise changing consequences regarding Eric and Cam's situations. I'm currently of the mindset that I am ready to see these two leave at the trade deadline so that we can pick up some more pieces that will be more valuable moving forward. I think that would be best for us in the long term. But if we are in the playoff hunt, lord knows this franchise could certainly use a shot in the arm by making the playoffs this season.

This season will be very interesting to watch, and not just on the ice.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Over/Under on Bovada for Canes wins is 30. As pessimistic as I am that seems impossibly low. That was their win total last year and it's their lowest since the lockout. If I were a betting man, and I'm not, Id bet the over hard....and lose all of my money.

Where do you see those lines on there? All I can find is the Cup, conference, and division odds.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I spent three months in Sweden for a job once.

I'm pretty good at picking up languages, with the ability to read French, Spanish and Russian. I've got a pretty good ear.

But being basically very shy and introverted at the time, I spent those three months in Sweden in the hotel bar. Where the bartender spoke English.

Why, you may ask? Because after working a damned hard job for many hours a day, I was tired -- and communicating to these strangers was a challenge even in my own language. Learning another language, by speaking to other people? Holy ****, no chance.

I think one of the reasons that people are so split on Semin is that a lot of us identify with him. Basically a nice quiet guy who keeps to himself, wants to do his job, doesn't quite fit in. The classic introvert.

A bunch of people who are unlike him -- and therefore unlike us -- say things like "if he gave a ****, he'd learn the language". People who have pretty much no clue who this guy is and what he's about.

In talking **** about someone like Semin, you are, whether you realize it or not, talking **** about someone like me.

He's gone. Cut the guy a break, and cut us a break too.

This. So much this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino