Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers @ Columbus Blue Jackets - Oct 13, 2017

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
What probably annoyed me the most was the number of missed passes, fumbles, and downright giftwrapping the puck to the other team.. they do not seem focused.. had it been one or two players, sure..i'd have said they had an off night.. but this was the majority of the players...

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
What did Miller do in this game - I barely saw him the entire game or the line for that matter?

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
All of you saying that you're going to go watch Dahlin and Svechnikov highlights are out to lunch. The Rangers start was worse the year they went to the Cup final.

AV's objective in practice in the coming days should be driving home tight defensive coverage in the first 10 minutes of the game. Survive the first 10 minutes and play your game from there. The Rangers haven't led at all outside of the Montreal game. How crazy is that?

That being said, I'm almost expecting Gorton to make a panic trade for Matt Duchene to shake things up a bit.

Rangers actually took the lead in this game.

Edit: nevermind , 2nd on the ball

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
What probably annoyed me the most was the number of missed passes, fumbles, and downright giftwrapping the puck to the other team.. they do not seem focused.. had it been one or two players, sure..i'd have said they had an off night.. but this was the majority of the players...

it's good to know that "down to basics" practice session really paid off.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
What did Miller do in this game - I barely saw him the entire game or the line for that matter?
Miller had 18:24 ice time, second overall on the team (among forwards), behind Zucc.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
Plamsunlimited—couldnt respond to your quote from before but I think your not understanding what I was writing. I agreed with you on Ruff. And by emotion I meant playing style—this team has no heart plays like not a care in the world that why I said you may like AV style—a coach that shows nothing just lets the players play then thinks by switching around the lines the team will respond. I’ve seen you write about AV I get that you don’t like him.
I never meant that Ruff should or could replace AV I would much rather have the complete opposite coach. Aka Torts—hell we missed the boat on Johnson whom was in out system.
Believe me I’m tried of AV just like you and a lot of us.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Shattenkirk looked really bad on that one (yes, such a revelation I know). If that was Staal, the howls would still be heard.
The real answer is for them to practice basic defending principles in practice, I firmly believe. They gave, and the Bluejackets took and took. Hank was great.
Yep.

I think as long as AV stops messing with the lines as much as he is, the team will come together and be just fine,

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I thought they looked ok actually. Ran into a hot goalie and a good defensive team.
In the nhl there’s a lot of parity. It’s like two two equally-sized men running into each other at about the same speed.
It generally comes down to breaks and luck. Not always of course. But I think the team could just as easily be 4-1. Maybe just the Leafs game was out-of-hand.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
We are one loss tomorrow from some real juicy takes on how AV has lost the room!

of which, he has.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
We really can't compare this year's start to 2013-14. This team and the state of the NHL are drastically different. That team was damn deep, led by 2 HOF players, Lundqvist was still in his prime, McDonagh is a shell of what he was in 2012-14, the Pens didn't have Kessel and Bylsma was just as bad by that time as AV is now. Probably even worse. The East as a whole is also drastically improved, and will only continue to get better in the next few years with all the high end young talent starting to come into their own.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s not worth a #1 for Matt D. - we barely have youths on our farm with high talent. Matt will ask for (7-8) $ mil in two years 2019 UFA. ELC is the way to go in this league.

mrmel329

Feb 28, 2013
All of you saying that you're going to go watch Dahlin and Svechnikov highlights are out to lunch. The Rangers start was worse the year they went to the Cup final.

AV's objective in practice in the coming days should be driving home tight defensive coverage in the first 10 minutes of the game. Survive the first 10 minutes and play your game from there. The Rangers haven't led at all outside of the Montreal game. How crazy is that?

That being said, I'm almost expecting Gorton to make a panic trade for Matt Duchene to shake things up a bit.

AV and tight defensive coverage do not belong in the same sentence

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
It`s not worth a #1 for Matt D. - we barely have youths on our farm with high talent. Matt will ask for (7-8) $ mil in two years 2019 UFA. ELC is the way to go in this league.

Totally. ELC is the only way to go. We had our run and it was a terrific one. Just don't want to waddle in mediocrity and panic trade moves like we did for 7 years late 90's early 2000's.

Reactions: Ori

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Yep.

I think as long as AV stops messing with the lines as much as he is, the team will come together and be just fine,
I thought I saw signs of the team looking more like a unit out there, basically in the 2nd period. So, yeah, time is on their side in that respect in that it should help, but like you say, double down a bit by letting the right players stay together. Need to see the other side of that coin that AV flips, time for the "I've seen enough to make a decision now". Need the odd clutch hero play. I don't wax eloquently about Hayes and in truth I would like to see him traded for better, but he pulled off the play on that opening goal. Cool, and needed.

Last edited:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

I think that would be the last thing GMJG would do.....make a "panic" move and trade valuable assets for a Duchene.

If Gorton has showed us anything it's that he doesn't make panic moves since he's taken over the GM gig full-time.

We are simply a bad hockey team right now. We don't seem to have any life really at all. We kind of seem to be going thru the motions. And that's a good way to get a coach fired.

I have never been on the anti AV bandwagon in here ever nor have I ever been a fanboy of his either. Last year's very winnable series vs Ottawa was the first time I'd ever said to myself at any time during AV's reign here that it may actually be time for him to go despite all the regular season success and even having won some playoff rounds.

Our losing that Ottawa series was clearly on AV as he was too damn stubborn, he never made the adjustments necessary and he kept showing his ridiculous man love for the Girardi's...Staal's of the world.

Gorton gave AV plenty of nice toys to play with this year during this "retool on the fly". Bringing in Ruff was no coincidence. AV's rope is not going to be a long one this year and it's probaby on it's last strands. Never thought I'd say this seeing I didn't see us getting off to such an awful start. But in the next 3 games we play(Debbies, Pens and Isles), I firmly believe that if we don't beat the Devils and Islanders at the very least, we could easily be looking at Ruff's first game a HC a week from tomorrow vs Nashville at MSG.

Damn this blows....it really does. I'm a pretty positive person as most of y'all know but there really isn't anything to be all to positive about. AV, if he wants to remain HC, needs to win as I said, minimum of 2 of next 3 games if not maybe needing to sweep the next 3 otherwise Gorton will have no choice but to do what is necessary. It will be fascinating to see how the boys respond.

We'll see soon enough fellas beginning tomorrow vs Debs....uggggggg

Reactions: Riche16 and bl02

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
I would not be disappointed with something centered around Vesey for Galchenyuk...

Two guys who could use a change of scenery

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I thought they looked ok actually. Ran into a hot goalie and a good defensive team.
In the nhl there’s a lot of parity. It’s like two two equally-sized men running into each other at about the same speed.
It generally comes down to breaks and luck. Not always of course. But I think the team could just as easily be 4-1. Maybe just the Leafs game was out-of-hand.

I mean, I don't know how anyone can come away from that game feeling like they looked ok. They played decently for stretches, but were dominated and made to look foolish defensively from the initial puck drop.

Lost in the fact that the goal was waved off is the string of atrocious plays that led to the goal 30 seconds into the game. This continued for most of the 60 minutes. Hank was constantly under duress as the team in front of him looked like they were playing blindfolded.

This was easily the worst game of the young season to me.

Reactions: Maximus

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I would not be disappointed with something centered around Vesey for Galchenyuk...

Two guys who could use a change of scenery
sorry no way montreal does that. They want a center iceman and only a center iceman. They are pining to move Drouin back to wing so if they traded AG they would require a center back which we don't have any of value. Maybe hayes and a second gets it done? IDK. Then again AG has never proven he can play both ends of ice high level center ice even under the "great" claude Julien.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

The whole team was also learning a completely new system and showed some flashes of being able to play well. Have the Rangers had a game where they played well for more than 20 minutes this season? They have been horrendous since the drop of the puck.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I think that would be the last thing GMJG would do.....make a "panic" move and trade valuable assets for a Duchene.

If Gorton has showed us anything it's that he doesn't make panic moves since he's taken over the GM gig full-time.

We are simply a bad hockey team right now. We don't seem to have any life really at all. We kind of seem to be going thru the motions. And that's a good way to get a coach fired.

I have never been on the anti AV bandwagon in here ever nor have I ever been a fanboy of his either. Last year's very winnable series vs Ottawa was the first time I'd ever said to myself at any time during AV's reign here that it may actually be time for him to go despite all the regular season success and even having won some playoff rounds.

Our losing that Ottawa series was clearly on AV as he was too damn stubborn, he never made the adjustments necessary and he kept showing his ridiculous man love for the Girardi's...Staal's of the world.

Gorton gave AV plenty of nice toys to play with this year during this "retool on the fly". Bringing in Ruff was no coincidence. AV's rope is not going to be a long one this year and it's probaby on it's last strands. Never thought I'd say this seeing I didn't see us getting off to such an awful start. But in the next 3 games we play(Debbies, Pens and Isles), I firmly believe that if we don't beat the Devils and Islanders at the very least, we could easily be looking at Ruff's first game a HC a week from tomorrow vs Nashville at MSG.

Damn this blows....it really does. I'm a pretty positive person as most of y'all know but there really isn't anything to be all to positive about. AV, if he wants to remain HC, needs to win as I said, minimum of 2 of next 3 games if not maybe needing to sweep the next 3 otherwise Gorton will have no choice but to do what is necessary. It will be fascinating to see how the boys respond.

We'll see soon enough fellas beginning tomorrow vs Debs....uggggggg

Man I hate to say it but I think we might get blown out of the water tomorrow. That team is FAST and aggressive with a boat load of hungry young talent.

Barring a classic performance from Lundqvist as he has pretty damn good numbers against NJ, but it would also make sense if Pavelec gets the go tomorrow with the B2B. No faith in him at all. This is why I always say you save your starter for the back end, regardless of opponent. That way if you lose the first game,at least you know you have a card to play with your #1 fresh and ready to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad