Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers @ Columbus Blue Jackets - Oct 13, 2017

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
It's unfair to single out our highest paid forward who has zero points? If that were true, we should never criticize anyone.

Did you read what you quoted? he basically said; because everyone is looking pretty crap, singling out one player seems pretty stupid. Which makes a lot of sense. You can say that Nash needs to be better (although I don't think he really can be at this point, he is what he is), but nor he or anyone else individually is the reason we look pretty average.

So by all means criticise, just don't lay it all at the feet of one player...

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Ryan Mc. thought our 2nd period was the best - while AV asking for 60 min. hockey.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I agree. The second period was our best.

And yeah, the 60 minute effort needs to be there. Fix that, and a good remainder of the problems will be fixed too.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
So AV gets fired, and they hire Ruff, what exactly will be the difference? Gorton is as much of a blame as AV is for this mess.
Gorton is still suffering from the idiotic contracts made by $ather, so I disagree on that part. $ather handed out NMC's like candy on Halloween in already bad player contracts.

$ather wasted Hank's prime on horrific attempts (he should've been fired after the Drury, Gomez and Redden debacle alone). $ather was the kind of father who had all the money in the world and could buy basically anything he pointed at, but he still always came home with milk past its expiration date.

Reactions: Osminator

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Good thing Yanks are doing well. I say keep this going and get as close to the top of first round as we can. Do we miss Step....Oh yeah.
Continue to pair Staal with whoever makes his value rise so we can trade him. Maybe we trade Mac at deadline for a ransom. Nash,Grabner and anyone not named Zib,Zuck,Miller,Skjei.Pavel,Kreider(i guess). Play Boo,Deangelo. AV is pooping in his pants and I predict the Ruff hiring will be his downfall because he is making decisions that he thinks Gorts wants but is not from his core beliefs.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
First step is trading McDonagh. Extending him while he approaches 30 would be a mistake. Give me Colin White
Believe it or not, I am down with this unpopular decision and suggested it last year.....timing has to be right though to get that landslide. Turn Gomez into 7 years of McD (or whatever) and 2 1st round picks and then some. That will piss off Hank and he may want to pack his bags. Not giving up hope but I don't want to do.......
Sorry but no thanks. I don't think this team wins a cup with Duschene and im not willing to give up what they want. no way im giving up a first rounder in this years draft or someone like Skjei or Buch
This. I wanna see the kids play, and now we are paying 6.5 for a 3rd line pairing dman.

Reactions: Galvatron

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Marc playing well might just be the BEST THING that could happen to us. Might become tradeable if he waives. Holden playing with McD falls under the same category. Moving the both of them would probably be exactly what Gorton wants to open spots for our youth. Moving them....... fast forwards everything into possibly...?. quite the bad season, but a learning one for the youngins' and a good draft pick.
Then why Shatty? Because he wanted to play for us......and a great deal of fans wanted him. Helps the PP but seems our 5v5 is suffering right now.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Staal has been decent, but he keeps jumping up on the play, leaving Shattenkirk the lone guy back. This doesn't play to either of their strengths.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
The expansion draft hit us so hard and really unfortunate. Las Vegas is a city for wedding couples and gambling - it's like Ibiza, but with desert around the city! :D

Vegas is surrounded by alot of sand, big sand, desert sand

Last edited:
Reactions: Ori

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Staal has been decent, but he keeps jumping up on the play, leaving Shattenkirk the lone guy back. This doesn't play to either of their strengths.
Agreed, but Marc feeling good about himself and the abilities that he "once had" is not a bad thing, in fact good for him. But, good for the team.....probably not. If he wants to 0lay like that, then maybe he is better paired with Smith. This defense really is in arrears and seems AV doesn't know where to begin. The talent is there, but who plays with whom is the biggest question.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I guess I'd rather have them look like aaz now than in April but this doesn't look very promising
Yeah the forward depth is bad. Top 6 is good. Bottom 6 is uhhh....what's the word I'm looking for...

...oh. "There"
This whole team is just “there”

Top to bottom... coaching staff, all the way to the net (Hank playing well the last 2 games)

There just a bunch of “mehh”

They’re looking for a team identity? It’s Hayes. Vesey. DD. Holden. Those players embody what the NYR are right now.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
This team needs a jolt of emotion injected with some hitting IMO.
Time to bring up Graves and Lettieri.

Reactions: trilobyte

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
I thought the Rangers played very sloppy in the beginning of the game. Making drop passes constantly and having them get picked up by Columbus. There were a bunch of times where you saw a total miscommunication amongst them which led to a turnover.

Vesey - He looks so different than he did last year. Last year, he scored, made plays, drove to the net and was often involved in scoring chances even if the team didn't convert. He left you thinking he would at least be a perennial 15-20g scorer. Fast forward to this year - he looked decent in the first couple of games and I noticed his hustle but now I barely notice him. I wonder what happened to him cause he looks like an AHL player now that would be lucky just to get 5 goals this season.

Nash - He's becoming more and more of an example of a fallen star. Sadly, this organization has had so much experience with that. Similar to Vesey though, I thought Nash played well in his first couple of games but he really is struggling to even be noticeable as of late. I don't think it's lack of effort, I just think his skill has diminished. Do you remember when we first got him and he would dangle guys like crazy? Even if he didn't score, he would leave many of us saying how good of a play he made. Fast forward to today, he no longer can make those plays. Additionally, his finishing ability has taken a steep decline. Does this current Rick Nash even score 15 goals? That's a very expensive contract for a 15g scorer.

There were more players I wanted to get to but I got so sad and hungry that I wasn't able to mention them. Just think about how rough this season is gonna be on us without all those Papa John's discounts.

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Missed the game last night. I guess my take is that the defensive lineup isn't really that bad when you give up 2 per game even when Hank doesn't have to stand on his head. I know most fans, myself included, want ADA in the lineup but even if he dressed is that going to all of sudden get the forwards to score?

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I thought the Rangers played very sloppy in the beginning of the game. Making drop passes constantly and having them get picked up by Columbus. There were a bunch of times where you saw a total miscommunication amongst them which led to a turnover.

Vesey - He looks so different than he did last year. Last year, he scored, made plays, drove to the net and was often involved in scoring chances even if the team didn't convert. He left you thinking he would at least be a perennial 15-20g scorer. Fast forward to this year - he looked decent in the first couple of games and I noticed his hustle but now I barely notice him. I wonder what happened to him cause he looks like an AHL player now that would be lucky just to get 5 goals this season.

Nash - He's becoming more and more of an example of a fallen star. Sadly, this organization has had so much experience with that. Similar to Vesey though, I thought Nash played well in his first couple of games but he really is struggling to even be noticeable as of late. I don't think it's lack of effort, I just think his skill has diminished. Do you remember when we first got him and he would dangle guys like crazy? Even if he didn't score, he would leave many of us saying how good of a play he made. Fast forward to today, he no longer can make those plays. Additionally, his finishing ability has taken a steep decline. Does this current Rick Nash even score 15 goals? That's a very expensive contract for a 15g scorer.

There were more players I wanted to get to but I got so sad and hungry that I wasn't able to mention them. Just think about how rough this season is gonna be on us without all those Papa John's discounts.

Nash will be lucky to get 15, and I'm not talking out of anger from last night's game. I wish Kreider would skate and put in the forecheck effort Nash does. He could be the new Nash with his natural power forward skills. Nash can't cut it anymore. His hands are the problem. Slow. He tries to dangle and the puck either slips off his blade or the defender pokes it away. So he resorts to brute force, playing bull in a china shop style that results in low or mid high
shots smothered by the goalie.

Put Miller, Hayes, and Grabs or Vesey back together as a line for now. Nash is not top 6 at this point. He can be a very effective third liner playing solid two way hockey. With Desharnais as his C maybe. Zucc would be in a lurch, but rotate him amongst the lines.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Missed the game last night. I guess my take is that the defensive lineup isn't really that bad when you give up 2 per game even when Hank doesn't have to stand on his head. I know most fans, myself included, want ADA in the lineup but even if he dressed is that going to all of sudden get the forwards to score?

Hank was very good last night, an almost stood on his head kind of performance. Bread man won the game with his skills. He made Shatty look dumb. I think ADA could improve the outlets but he is as prone to turnovers as those in the lineup. The main problem is outside of Zib, no one is really a threat to put the puck in the net. Hayes made a nice shot last night, but i don't see him doing that consistently.

Reactions: Mike in Houston

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I have no evidence to back it up, by I just get this feeling that he is being directly encouraged to do so, as I think if those offensive forays were not wanted he would be told to desist. Just me guessing.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
It's like the kitten who sees a lion in the mirror. Same for other AV favorites. You keep getting told you're good enough and smart enough, you're gonna believe it.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Vesey...he's been getting looks and chances but not able to put them in the net. If he does we're probably all thinking "oh he's having a good start to the season". It's not that different than last year in some ways, it's just not gone in for him.

Last night he struggled though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->