New York City Thread: Part IV (Info in OP)

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Games on ESPN+ would be blacked out in both Inwood and JC.

You’d need either cable (which in this day and age is a luxury), Fubo, or both ESPN+ and a SmartDNS (check out NordVPN). Or there’s the illegal options outside that.

Just for reference, I have one cable box and 300 mbps internet which costs $170ish per month.

Also I’d 100% recommend JC over Inwood. Not even close, IMO, especially if you’re not from here originally.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Just accepted a new job down at the World Trade Center. Anyone else work in the complex? Good? Bad?

Foxy

Oct 5, 2020
Just accepted a new job down at the World Trade Center. Anyone else work in the complex? Good? Bad?
Didn't work in the WTC, so idk what its like past security. But I used to commute through it, walking from Fulton st subway to Brookfield Place (WFC) everyday. I always liked the area, tons of decent lunch spots and a decent amount of after work drinks spots nearby too. I wasn't a fan of that underground mall/PATH station area, there's really not much down there, yet it was always filled with tourist and commuters. I would walk at street level as much as I could to avoid it.

Reactions: RosensRug

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I worked in that area years ago. My office moved to hudson yards from downtown a few years ago but when I was there I rarely went by the WTC except to visit the occulus. I think it lost a lot of personality over the years but thats probably the same wherever you go.

Reactions: RosensRug

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Bit of a long shot, and doesnt really belong here, but does anyone know anything about Kansas State and what it's like around there?
There's a possibility that I'm about to spend the next month of my life there for work but info is scarce and I can't work out whether there'll be stuff to keep me entertained.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Bit of a long shot, and doesnt really belong here, but does anyone know anything about Kansas State and what it's like around there?
There's a possibility that I'm about to spend the next month of my life there for work but info is scarce and I can't work out whether there'll be stuff to keep me entertained.

Haven't been to K State specifically but from previous experiences in that part of the country and the south in general there's nothing exciting to do unless you're into hunting or fishing. My advice would be find a local restaurant you enjoy and make that your home base.

Reactions: mike14

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
What's the best way to get to Manhattan, downtown, from JFK?

If you reply I will tell you a story you won't believe...

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

Best way is with a cab/uber if you're willing to spend the money (I think there's a flat fare). If you don't want to spend you can take Air Train to Jamaica and catch the LIRR to Penn and from there take the 2/3/A/E (or just take the E all the way from jamaica) depending where exactly you want to go. You can also take the air train to howard beach and take the A train from there. That's faster than taking the subway from jamaica.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
By public transit? Quickest is the AirTrain to Jamaica. Then the E train.
What do you think the cost would be for a family of 4?

JFK to downtown is a flat fee for a taxi, no?

I owe you a story:

My Great Uncle was a great American author. He was on my required reading in high school! William Wharton is his pen name. He was drinking buddies with Kurt Vonnegut! Nicolas Cage was in one of his movies.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Best way is with a cab/uber if you're willing to spend the money (I think there's a flat fare). If you don't want to spend you can take Air Train to Jamaica and catch the LIRR to Penn and from there take the 2/3/A/E (or just take the E all the way from jamaica) depending where exactly you want to go. You can also take the air train to howard beach and take the A train from there. That's faster than taking the subway from jamaica.
Great detail!!

I owe you a story:

My father was in charge of one of the Mars rovers. He's a world famous planetary scientist.

Reactions: egelband

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
My stories are real and my thirst for knowledge is real.

The flat fare vs train and subway. For a family of 4, which would you do?

I lived on E. 8th St and Broadway. In the NYU dorms.

No air conditioning there back in the 90s, but I had Webster Hall!!

Reactions: egelband and tlk

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
What do you think the cost would be for a family of 4?

JFK to downtown is a flat fee for a taxi, no?

I owe you a story:

My Great Uncle was a great American author. He was on my required reading in high school! William Wharton is his pen name. He was drinking buddies with Kurt Vonnegut! Nicolas Cage was in one of his movies.
AirTrain is $8 per person and the subway is $2.75. If your kids are young, it’s free for them.

———

I’m unfortunately related to Alan Dershowitz. He’s my grandmother’s cousin (and Dershowitz was her maiden name).

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

The answers to this question are all "best worst case scenarios", which is why I used to fly in & out of Newark when I lived in Manhattan. Getting to JFK just sucks from anywhere but parts of Brooklyn or Queens, & the south shore of LI.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Still owe me a story.
One time I tried to fight a Japanese mototcycle gang.

I lived off base stationed at NAF Atsugi, Japan when a Bozo, it's like the minor leagues for the Yakusa - young men on souped up mototcycles with no mufflers, came driving in my little quiet neighborhood.

I had just put the kids down to sleep and was having a drink on the back deck. My wife heard the bike and said, "if I was a man, I wouldn't put up with that."

The streets are very narrow, so I blocked the road he was on with a wide stance and arms making a X. He screeched to a stop and I went in to punch him in the face. He quickly turned around and went for a park 200 yards away.

I saw 30 or so gangs members in the park and while walking down the middle of the street yelled, "get ready for an old fashioned American ass whooping!"

They scattered like cockroaches.

If they hadn't, there would be one less Blues fan in the world.

My wife was freaking out and had called 119, 911 in Japan, telling them her husband was about to die lol

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: tlk and Boris Zubov

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Another story for ya, since we had a good visit to Manhattan.

Back in the 90s I worked as a telemarketer in St. Louis. This was back when you could smoke indoors at work. We were allowed to have 1 cigarette an hour.

An older guy went to the break room aand lit a cigarette, when a young fat kid started yelling for the boss bc the guy didn't wait a whole hour to smoke again.

The man put his cigarette out, but was really mad. He went back and sat at his chair fuming.

I was standing 15 feet away talking on my headset selling a newspaper subscription, but watching them intently.

The man took off his headset, said eff this, reached into his back pocket and pulled out a switchblade while walking over to the kid that just told on him.

He stood behind the kid that was sitting in a chair, widened his stance, reached around the boy and slit his throat.

The kid fell backwards in his chair onto the ground. The man jumped on top of him and just started hacking away at him.

It was just like out of a movie. People in full panic mode. Everybody just started running and screaming.

The kid lived. He was so fat, the blade didn't hit his throat. And when the guy was hacking on him, all the injuries were to the kids arms.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

Back in the 90s I worked as a telemarketer in St. Louis. This was back when you could smoke indoors at work. We were allowed to have 1 cigarette an hour.

An older guy went to the break room aand lit a cigarette, when a young fat kid started yelling for the boss bc the guy didn't wait a whole hour to smoke again.

The man put his cigarette out, but was really mad. He went back and sat at his chair fuming.

I was standing 15 feet away talking on my headset selling a newspaper subscription, but watching them intently.

The man took off his headset, said eff this, reached into his back pocket and pulled out a switchblade while walking over to the kid that just told on him.

He stood behind the kid that was sitting in a chair, widened his stance, reached around the boy and slit his throat.

The kid fell backwards in his chair onto the ground. The man jumped on top of him and just started hacking away at him.

It was just like out of a movie. People in full panic mode. Everybody just started running and screaming.

The kid lived. He was so fat, the blade didn't hit his throat. And when the guy was hacking on him, all the injuries were to the kids arms.
Holy..... shit

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

awkward.jpeg

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

Sir, this is a Wendy’s

Reactions: Off Sides

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
I'm on a roll...

I was on the first war ship to set sail for the middle east, 8 days after 9/11. USS Roosevelt, an aircraft carrier out of Norfolk, VA. We carried and flew the iconic flag that flew at ground zero, all the way to the Persian Gulf. It flew when the first bombs fell in Afghanistan. We revered that flag.

Many years later we find out a 1st responders wife swapped out the flag. The one we cherished so much was tested and found not to be the actual flag from ground zero.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I'm on a roll...

I was on the first war ship to set sail for the middle east, 8 days after 9/11. USS Roosevelt, an aircraft carrier out of Norfolk, VA. We carried and flew the iconic flag that flew at ground zero, all the way to the Persian Gulf. It flew when the first bombs fell in Afghanistan. We revered that flag.

Many years later we find out a 1st responders wife swapped out the flag. The one we cherished so much was tested and found not to be the actual flag from ground zero.
Thanks for your service, brother.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad