New York City Thread: Part IV (Info in OP)

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Kind of like how the USPS put a picture of the statue of liberty on a stamp but it turned out to be a picture of the NY NY version in las vegas.
I saw the Statue of Liberty in NYC, then found and saw the one in Paris two days later :)

The concierge at the hotel in Paris didn't even know they had one lol

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I’m looking to move into Manhattan, it’s been a bit since I’ve done research on neighborhoods and with the pandemic I know some areas have gone downhill

Since the pandemic, what areas/neighborhoods should I be avoiding?

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I saw the Statue of Liberty in NYC, then found and saw the one in Paris two days later :)

The concierge at the hotel in Paris didn't even know they had one lol
There used to be another one on 64th street between Broadway & Central Park West. It was probably 25 feet tall & it stood atop of the headquarters of Liberty Moving & Storage. Was right across the street from my grandfathers apartment in the city & it confused the hell out of me when I was 7 or 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
What do you think the cost would be for a family of 4?

JFK to downtown is a flat fee for a taxi, no?

I owe you a story:

My Great Uncle was a great American author. He was on my required reading in high school! William Wharton is his pen name. He was drinking buddies with Kurt Vonnegut! Nicolas Cage was in one of his movies.
A story about my Great Uncle.

One summer he and his wife rented a house boat in Versailles, France on the Seine River. Every morning he would set up his easel and paint along the river.

A boy named James started to watch him paint. Eventually he taught James to paint bc he came bach every morning.

Turned out the kid was Jim Morrison.

Here is some of the art he painted:

Books he wrote that were turned into movies:
Birdy
Dad
A Midnight Clear

Last edited:

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Looking for a spot to watch some football before I head into the game - looking for something besides the usual spots around the garden (Stout, Jack Doyles, etc) - anyone know a good spot?

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
1666543603732.png

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
Well, my daughter just received the email saying she is the top candidate for a research job at Columbia University. It says she will hear from HR with thee next steps in the process. Now she needs to secure an apartment in New York area for January. Any advice would be appreciated. The job is in Manhattan, so from there out I guess. I am nervous and she is excited. Go figure.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Well, my daughter just received the email saying she is the top candidate for a research job at Columbia University. It says she will hear from HR with thee next steps in the process. Now she needs to secure an apartment in New York area for January. Any advice would be appreciated. The job is in Manhattan, so from there out I guess. I am nervous and she is excited. Go figure.
Academic area or health sciences?
The main campus is ~114th st on upper west side but many health related programs are near their hospitals ~50-60 blocks further uptown

Reactions: WestCoastBruinsFan

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
Academic area or health sciences?
The main campus is ~114th st on upper west side but many health related programs are near their hospitals ~50-60 blocks further uptown
She will be helping with cancer research. That's good information to know. She will have to confirm. Thanks.
She will be working at the Columbia Medical Center.

Last edited:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
She will be helping with cancer research. That's good information to know. She will have to confirm. Thanks.
She will be working at the Columbia Medical Center.
Exact location will help in determining what's best. Will she have a car? If so, Manhattan is absolutely a no go. And rents have generally skyrocketed especially in Manhattan the past year so best options are probably the outer boroughs.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Idk what her income will be her first year or so or where exactly in Manhattan she’ll be working, but Jersey City should absolutely be kept in mind. It’s cheaper than Manhattan and depending on where she’ll be working, is a much shorter commute than the nice parts of the outer boroughs.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
Idk what her income will be her first year or so or where exactly in Manhattan she’ll be working, but Jersey City should absolutely be kept in mind. It’s cheaper than Manhattan and depending on where she’ll be working, is a much shorter commute than the nice parts of the outer boroughs.
Thanks. She will be making just over 58,000 so cheaper but safe is what I am looking for. I started looking towards Newark as well. Looks like it will be the Columbia University Irving Medical Center for the work location.

Last edited:

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Thanks. She will be making just over 58,000 so cheaper but safe is what I am looking for. I started looking towards Newark as well. Looks like it will be the Columbia University Irving Medical Center for the work location.
Check out Fort Lee. It’s right across from the George Washington Bridge, and there’s a bus terminal on the Manhattan side, which is like 10 blocks from the medical center.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

If you haven’t already, inquire with the hospital for housing. NY Presbyterian owns massive amounts of real estate. They have a program where they rent to full time staff. Whoever the hiring manager is should have info for applying for housing. If you’ve already went down this road, ignore. But it’s worth a shot if you haven’t

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
If you haven’t already, inquire with the hospital for housing. NY Presbyterian owns massive amounts of real estate. They have a program where they rent to full time staff. Whoever the hiring manager is should have info for applying for housing. If you’ve already went down this road, ignore. But it’s worth a shot if you haven’t

Thanks, my daughter just received an email this morning from the staff there telling her about the Presbyterian housing. I do appreciate you mentioning this though as it could be a good option if there is something available there. Thanks again.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Thanks, my daughter just received an email this morning from the staff there telling her about the Presbyterian housing. I do appreciate you mentioning this though as it could be a good option if there is something available there. Thanks again.
I think it's time you change your user name to WestCoastRangersFan. With a daughter in NYC, it's a natural progression. Plus I don't see those clowns on the Bruins board helping you out in the hunt for an apartment.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
I think it's time you change your user name to WestCoastRangersFan. With a daughter in NYC, it's a natural progression. Plus I don't see those clowns on the Bruins board helping you out in the hunt for an apartment.
I am a little too old and set in my ways to change but my daughter might be able to. If she makes it to a few games, you just never know. Not sure how I would feel though if she does change so we will just wait and see. It should be quite the adventure for her.

Deleted member 23124

I live in Washington Heights and they own a number of buildings in my block. Columbia owns almost all of the land in upper Manhattan from 116th Street to the end of northern Manhattan (228th street) and they're slowing acquiring all the buildings on this land as well.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
I live in Washington Heights and they own a number of buildings in my block. Columbia owns almost all of the land in upper Manhattan from 116th Street to the end of northern Manhattan (228th street) and they're slowing acquiring all the buildings on this land as well.
Hopefully she can get into one of their apartments. They are close to work which will make me feel more comfortable. It actually looks close to many interesting things in the city.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Hopefully she can get into one of their apartments. They are close to work which will make me feel more comfortable. It actually looks close to many interesting things in the city.

It’s a great hospital. Both of my kids were born there. My dad is currently undergoing cancer treatment there. So thanks to your daughter for waging that fight.

If you make your way there for a visit, or your daughter ends up living nearby, I recommend the Port Washington Public House. Good drinks and food. Right across the street from the children’s hospital there on 165th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad