New York City Thread: Part IV (Info in OP)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
crazy scene in brooklyn...mass shooting on a subway station and apparenlt explosive devices. SWAT, ATF and FBI on scene

stay safe

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Islanders fan come in peace. (I live on the opposite side of the cemetary, but one of my kid goes to school a little north of one of the two stops involved.) It's a super busy subway line that serves lots of different groups of people from very different neighborhoods, and also a TON of schools. From what I can tell it seems likely that at least one of the injured victims is a high school student, but certainly not all. So far, thank god, none have died.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Really hope everyone is ok, if anything did happen to you or someone you know then best wishes to you/them.

Creepingjeff

Mar 4, 2016
I just got back from a trip Mon-Thur to NY with going to the Rangers/Carolina game. I followed some of the advice in here. The view from Top of the Rock was absolutely incredible. I can't imagine anything that could have that much better of a 360 view of the city.

For pizza, we got to MSG at 5:45 so we hit up Pizza Supremo. We got our slices, which were excellent, and were able to finish them by 6:00pm. They were incredibly fast. I also had Joe's Pizza and Carnegie Pizza. Joe's was the best of the three places. So good, I went back there a second time.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is that if you are a tourist looking to get around, the hop on and off buses tours are pretty nice for it if you are in Manhattan. Kind of pricy, but if you know what you want to do for the days, you can make it work pretty well.

One final thing is we saw the Book of Mormon on Broadway. I don't think I have laughed so hard at anything in my life.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Anyone know of a good sports bar near Barclays Center?

Looking at Google, I see a place called Bleachers but idk

I’d ask on the Isles board if they remember any, but LOL

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Why didn't the guy recording just use his voice and call out the scammer lady instead of awkwardly recording it and whispering in the girls ear :laugh:
Also when does the PATH go to Queens? This looks nothing like the Court Sq-23rd Street station in Queens. :sarcasm:

You can clearly see this is the 23rd Street stop on the 6th Ave IND line (F and M)
Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 4.55.45 AM.png

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Hey, pretty crazy things happening in my job (in a good way) and the opportunity to move to NYC has presented itself for this coming January or February

I've been doing so preliminary research into areas to live in that are within my budget.

Naturally, I'm basing all my research on proximity to MSG haha. So far, I have 2 good options. One is a place on Orchard Street in Jersey City. The other is Sherman Avenue in Inwood.

Some basic questions for people who have first hand experience (google is a little general ha):

1. Are these decent areas to live or is there nothing noteworthy about them? Ideally I'd like close proximity to a supermarket and transport line

2. Is either area as easy to access MSG as google maps tell me it is? I.e. sherman ave shows as a 35-40 min train ride and 3 min walk to MSG. Does this vary in NY, Will I actually be commuting longer on game day?

3. What should I expect renting in NYC? Are landlords hard to deal with? Is the standard or housing and upkeep decent or are a lot places in poor condition?

4. Is it feasible to expect to see all 41 home games (and the away games against the Isles and Devils) or will even the cheap seats be too pricey? On that note, how expensive is the Average ticket?

5. Are either, or both, of the areas I mentioned reasonably safe? I know crime exists in every city but I do I need to be extra careful in these areas

Less basic questions:

1. Is Jersey or NY better for tax?

2. Is it worth driving in either location? I assume driving in NYC isn't worth it

Reactions: egelband

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Hey, pretty crazy things happening in my job (in a good way) and the opportunity to move to NYC has presented itself for this coming January or February

I've been doing so preliminary research into areas to live in that are within my budget.

Naturally, I'm basing all my research on proximity to MSG haha. So far, I have 2 good options. One is a place on Orchard Street in Jersey City. The other is Sherman Avenue in Inwood.

Some basic questions for people who have first hand experience (google is a little general ha):

1. Are these decent areas to live or is there nothing noteworthy about them? Ideally I'd like close proximity to a supermarket and transport line

2. Is either area as easy to access MSG as google maps tell me it is? I.e. sherman ave shows as a 35-40 min train ride and 3 min walk to MSG. Does this vary in NY, Will I actually be commuting longer on game day?

3. What should I expect renting in NYC? Are landlords hard to deal with? Is the standard or housing and upkeep decent or are a lot places in poor condition?

4. Is it feasible to expect to see all 41 home games (and the away games against the Isles and Devils) or will even the cheap seats be too pricey? On that note, how expensive is the Average ticket?

5. Are either, or both, of the areas I mentioned reasonably safe? I know crime exists in every city but I do I need to be extra careful in these areas

Less basic questions:

2. Is it worth driving in either location? I assume driving in NYC isn't worth it

Where are you working? at MSG? I would not recommend strategizing your move based on proximity to MSG, personally. Unless you work there.

Where you work is a huge part of where you wanna be renting. Inwood is north of Manhattan, JC is west. You’re dealing with entirely different transportation systems (and issues)

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I can't say much about the quality of life in these areas (I did spend some time working in Jersey City 10 years ago).

For transportation you have the A train in Inwood which takes you directly to MSG. In Jersey City you have the Path but you'll have a bit of a walk I think. The Path is not always 24-7, depending on the line. There is also a ferry to pier 79 in Manhattan from Paulus Hook (where I used to work). You can catch a free bus from there to MSG. They don't run at night and I don't think they run weekends either. The ferry is a nice ride and quick (almost always on schedule) but the bus usually waits to fill up so can take some extra time.

Regarding tickets, the average upper is probably about $100 each. You can always buy season tickets or a smaller but you probably ant to wait until you know how many games you can really go to. You'll probably be able to get tickets to most games at face value on the various boards. Playoffs and premium games are another story.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Where are you working? at MSG? I would not recommend strategizing your move based on proximity to MSG, personally. Unless you work there.

Where you work is a huge part of where you wanna be renting. Inwood is north of Manhattan, JC is west. You’re dealing with entirely different transportation systems (and issues)

Well my office would be a block or 2 near times square but I would likely WFH a lot if I had to so office location isn't the utmost prio for me.

Thank you for the tip on ttansport. That's something I hadn't considered. Is one worse than the other or are there notable differences in price?

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
I can't say much about the quality of life in these areas (I did spend some time working in Jersey City 10 years ago).

For transportation you have the A train in Inwood which takes you directly to MSG. In Jersey City you have the Path but you'll have a bit of a walk I think. The Path is not always 24-7, depending on the line. There is also a ferry to pier 79 in Manhattan from Paulus Hook (where I used to work). You can catch a free bus from there to MSG. They don't run at night and I don't think they run weekends either. The ferry is a nice ride and quick (almost always on schedule) but the bus usually waits to fill up so can take some extra time.

Regarding tickets, the average upper is probably about $100 each. You can always buy season tickets or a smaller but you probably ant to wait until you know how many games you can really go to. You'll probably be able to get tickets to most games at face value on the various boards. Playoffs and premium games are another story.
Wow thank you for this!

Stupid question but what about viewing games on TV? I have the NHL network in Ireland but I always find games are on black out. Are the rangers on like cable? And would that be affordable for most people or is something like the MSG network a luxury?

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Well my office would be a block or 2 near times square but I would likely WFH a lot if I had to so office location isn't the utmost prio for me.

Thank you for the tip on ttansport. That's something I hadn't considered. Is one worse than the other or are there notable differences in price?
Inwood is in manhattan and has subway stations. You're actually way north of yankee stadium, though. When I worked in Paulus Hook I could go doo to door from my office to MSG in about 30 minutes but I worked right next to the ferry.

Wow thank you for this!

Stupid question but what about viewing games on TV? I have the NHL network in Ireland but I always find games are on black out. Are the rangers on like cable? And would that be affordable for most people or is something like the MSG network a luxury?

Games would be blacked out on NHL network locally so you would need to get a local cable subscription or an online streaming subscription like Fubo TV. Internet plus Fubo would be something like $100/month. You can get internet/cable deals for that as well but prces can vary greatly depending on the content you want. Actually with the ESPN contract I think you can get ESPN+ a lot cheaper than fubo but there's no pre/post game stuff. Other people here would be able to exoplain better as I maybe watched 1 or 2 games all season on espn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allan92

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

Less basic questions:

The answer to this question depends on who you are and what type of life you're looking to live.

Sherman Ave in Inwood is a decent area but like pretty much anywhere else in NYC outside of FiDi or midtown Manhattan if you go a few blocks in the wrong direction things can get dicey. For native NYC'ers who have lived here their whole lives this isn't a problem or something surprising but for out of towners it can be. That is a working class, blue collar area.

Orchard Street in Jersey City is very "trendy" nowadays. It skews young and white collar. Lots of restaurants and bars in that area.

If you are young and single and looking to have an active social life Orchard Street in JC might be the better option. You will be within walking distance to all the bars and restaurants you will ever need. For example, you are within a few blocks of Razza which is one of the best pizzerias in the nation. You will likely have to commute to downtown Manhattan for your social life if you're in Inwood.

Don't worry too much about getting to MSG. Going to as many Rangers games as possible sounds fun in theory but in reality you will get burned ou quickly by the ticket prices, the commute, the prices of concessions at the arena, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad