New York City Thread: Part IV (Info in OP)

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Hi everyone,

My wife and I had planned a visit to New York from Vancouver, Canada for our honeymoon. We are unfortunately going to be canceling our trip. The latest COVID news isn't looking promising and the Canadian government is expected to announce new measures today that will make it tougher for international travel, including the United States.

Given how contagious this new variant is, we don't feel confident that we won't contract the virus with what we had planned in New York, and that would jeopardize our plans getting home - possibly leaving us stranded in New York for an undetermined amount of time and on the hook for an unanticipated cost.

I did buy tickets to two events which unfortunately are non-refundable and was wondering if anyone is interested in buying them. Im not making any money on these and the prices are what I had paid for them. I hope posting these on this forum is OK and I apologize if it's not. I can be trusted and I am sure @BroadwayBlue99 can attest to this.

Rockefeller Skating - 2 tickets
12/26 @ 8:50pm
$128 USD

Broadway Show: Christmas Spectacular Starring the Rockettes
Radio City Music Hall
12/21 @ 5:00pm
$315 USD

Sec ORCH
Row P
Seats 301-302

Thank you

Good news for you, they canceled the rest of the Radio City Show for the year so you will be getting a refund!

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
My wife got us tickets for the lightening game on Sunday. Do we have to bring our actual vaccination cards? Or can we just bring pictures of? Can't find a concrete answer..

pete3589

Dec 22, 2008
Heading in for Henrik’s banner raising. I’m real sad Rosa’s closed in Penn Station. Any good pizza close by MSG similar to Rosa’s

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Heading in for Henrik’s banner raising. I’m real sad Rosa’s closed in Penn Station. Any good pizza close by MSG similar to Rosa’s
Not sure how similar to Rose's it is (I rarely ate there) but Pizza Suprema is right next to the post office entrance to Penn on 31st and 8th.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Hey all,

I booked 5 weeks off work in March/April to go to Japan. Between Omicron and the Japanese government being stricter than most Covid-wise that trip unfortunately doesn't seem possible. My current thinking is that maybe I'll spend a week or two in either Ireland or Portugal/Spain and then come to New York for a little bit and to catch the Sens play the Rangers.

I don't really know too much about what to do in NYC other than the obvious Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge etc. The OP has lots of good info. I'd certainly like to try Katz, NYC style pizza, maybe one of those BBQ or craft beer places, maybe go to the museum of Natural History.

How many days do you think one should stay in NYC? What would you say the must do things/food is? If it makes a difference I would be on my own.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Hey all,

I booked 5 weeks off work in March/April to go to Japan. Between Omicron and the Japanese government being stricter than most Covid-wise that trip unfortunately doesn't seem possible. My current thinking is that maybe I'll spend a week or two in either Ireland or Portugal/Spain and then come to New York for a little bit and to catch the Sens play the Rangers.

I don't really know too much about what to do in NYC other than the obvious Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge etc. The OP has lots of good info. I'd certainly like to try Katz, NYC style pizza, maybe one of those BBQ or craft beer places, maybe go to the museum of Natural History.

How many days do you think one should stay in NYC? What would you say the must do things/food is? If it makes a difference I would be on my own.
Sorry abou t your japan trip. I postponed a 2 week trip to Japan/Hong Kong twice now. What was your planned itinerary? With some obvious differences, tokyo and NYC are very similar. You can go for a few days and hit the major sites or spend more time to visit outside the major tourist traps. There might even be baseball!

Reactions: saskriders

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Hey all,

Katz's is overrated. Instead of going to the Statue of Liberty, take the SI Ferry from Manhattan to SI and back, it is the closest you can get to the statue without going to the island. If you want to splurge on a steakhouse, Peter Lugger's in Brooklyn. Expensive, but good. If you want to REALLY feast then Plataforma Churruscarria on 49th between 8th and 9th (or 9th and 10th). Brazilian rodizio. Museum of Natural History is pretty cool. Benefit of going now is if you go on a weekday, not as likely to run into as many school trips as you would under normal conditions. Bronx zoo is also a good day, but not aware of public transportation access. Since it is April, Mets or Yankees should be on a homestand while you are here. Both stadiums easily accessible by train.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Sorry abou t your japan trip. I postponed a 2 week trip to Japan/Hong Kong twice now. What was your planned itinerary? With some obvious differences, tokyo and NYC are very similar. You can go for a few days and hit the major sites or spend more time to visit outside the major tourist traps. There might even be baseball!

I was planning on doing a group tour and also a multi day trail walk. Didn't really plan anything else in depth since there was uncertainty.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I was planning on doing a group tour and also a multi day trail walk. Didn't really plan anything else in depth since there was uncertainty.
It depends on what you like - 5 weeks is a long time in one place but spread out across an entire country is different as you can go to a lot of different places. There are plenty of group and walking tours you can do in NYC. There are a ton of museums and historic churches large and small to visit (kind of like visting tiny shrines of a 500 year old daimyo hidden between a 7-11 and a bar). As @patnyrnyg said, we'll hopefully have baseball in April so you should catch a game at one of the stadiums (I also highly recommend a baseball game in Japan). There probably isn't something like sumo wrestling in the US unless maybe that's what nonfans think of hockey. :D There are definitely loads of different restaurants in NYC so you should be able to get anything you want, depending on your budget of course. Ultimatly there are a lot of places that aren't on most tourist itineraries that are worth checking out but it really depends on your interests. In new cities I personally like the boat rides and the hop on/hop off buses to get a feel for a city as a whole, time permitting.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
It depends on what you like - 5 weeks is a long time in one place but spread out across an entire country is different as you can go to a lot of different places. There are plenty of group and walking tours you can do in NYC. There are a ton of museums and historic churches large and small to visit (kind of like visting tiny shrines of a 500 year old daimyo hidden between a 7-11 and a bar). As @patnyrnyg said, we'll hopefully have baseball in April so you should catch a game at one of the stadiums (I also highly recommend a baseball game in Japan). There probably isn't something like sumo wrestling in the US unless maybe that's what nonfans think of hockey. :D There are definitely loads of different restaurants in NYC so you should be able to get anything you want, depending on your budget of course. Ultimatly there are a lot of places that aren't on most tourist itineraries that are worth checking out but it really depends on your interests. In new cities I personally like the boat rides and the hop on/hop off buses to get a feel for a city as a whole, time permitting.

Yeah definitely wouldn't spend 5 weeks in New York. Like a week max, maybe 3 or 4 days. Good to hear you have hop on hop off busses. Those are usually enjoyable and give a good oversight. I'm not a Blue Jays fan, but it looks like there is a game the day after the Sens game. Seeing Yankee Stadium could be fun.

Thanks for all the info and taking the time to reply.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Yeah definitely wouldn't spend 5 weeks in New York. Like a week max, maybe 3 or 4 days. Good to hear you have hop on hop off busses. Those are usually enjoyable and give a good oversight.
There's a few different ones with a lot of different routes. Last time I went on one was late 2019 in Athens and they had 4 routes and you can buy a combination and transfer between the routes you paid for. You might be interested in the NYC pass which I think comes with 1 day of hop on/off bus.

BTW if you really enjoy walking and climbing you may be interesed in climbing up the outside of a skyscraper.

City Climb

Reactions: saskriders

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Hey all,

You can hit most of what you want to do in 3-4 days. I'd add an extra day if you really want to do museums. In my opinion they are worth doing. The natural history museum is great but in my opinion the Met should be the first museum target for anyone in NYC. That's half a day right there.

Like someone else said I wouldn't really bother with Katz Deli.

For pizza it depends on where you're staying. If you're in Manhattan you want to hit Joe's on Carmine Street, Prince Street Pizza (good for a late night trip if you're hungry), and I can't stop recommending Lazarra's Pizza which is within walking distance of MSG and where a lot of people go for a great pre-game meal. Lazarra's is very unique and you will not be able to get a similar style of pizza anywhere else you go.

Staten Island ferry is a great free way to get views of the city.

Don't go to Yankee Stadium unless you have tickets to a game. There's nothing to do in that area and if you're based in lower Manhattan it's a little bit of a trip.

Take a walk through Chinatown and Little Italy. If you decide to do pizza in Little Italy go to Rubirosa.

I don't know what it will be like in March or April but when I was last there for business in October for a few days I got an awesome little hotel in Chinatown near City Hall for like $75 a night all in after fees etc. Perfect location, walking distance to Chinatown and Little Italy so lots of options for late night eats without paying exorbitant ubereats fees etc, quick train ride uptown to museums etc, walking distance to Brooklyn Bridge. Shoot me a PM and I'll find the name of the hotel which is escaping me now. Lots of bargains to be had in NYC for tourists at the moment.

Reactions: Synergy27

NorCalFlamesRangers

Feb 16, 2015
SF Bay Area, CA
I have to recommend the summit at One Vanderbilt when it comes to observation decks. I agree with many that Top of the Rock has the best views of the city, but I think the Summit might surpass TotR. Definitely do the elevator at least once, totally worth it!

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
I got an intern job in NYC back in college, 1993.

I had no idea how to get there from Missouri, but figured it would be hard to miss :)

I was amazed at the traffic when it wasn't even rush hour. I saw where Columbia was and tried for NYU. First apartment board guy I called told me it cost $1000 for a 1 room with rats. I ended finding a room at NYU for the summer for $470 with food included.

East 8th Street and Broadway.

Does anyone else remember Webster Hall?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad