New GM Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He was the boy genius that we had and that we let go. Someone that would have been perfect for us hitting all the boxes.

Now let's get the next one, Martin Madden Jr.

The only thing with Madden is the lack of experience in a management role. Not because your a good scout that your a good GM. Look at Dorion in Ottawa

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
If we were to hire Roy, or a random Quebec ex-player in the hope that perhaps, hopefully he can do the job, then I'd rather stick with Bergevin.

Reactions: Steeler23

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
If we were to hire Roy, or a random Quebec ex-player in the hope that perhaps, hopefully he can do the job, then I'd rather stick with Bergevin.

Why? At least with someone new there's a chance they can be good. With Bergevin we have 100% certainty that he's not good.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
In theory, yeah, I see why you'd like Roy as President. The job, after all, is more about marketing than day-to-day hockey decisions, and he'd be media catnip around here. Plus -- again, in theory -- having Roy in that position opens the GM field to anyone. Roy could shoot off his mouth without hurting the on-ice product.

The concern is that Roy is notorious for wanting as much control as possible over the actual team. Will he settle for being a marketing figurehead? Will he work well with the GM? Will he respect boundaries and avoid pissing off his own staff and other GMs? After four years out of the NHL, you get the impression the old boy's club is in no hurry to have him back.
Nope, nope and nope. He could never keep his finger off the pie.

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019

It looks like a hypothesis I wrote earlier on that thread could become true... I wonder why Laraque would say false information about a daily collaborator of the station.
Seems like Bergevin tries one more move to keep his head out of the water... Would we be excited about this change?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

It looks like a hypothesis I wrote earlier on that thread could become true... I wonder why Laraque would say false information about a daily collaborator of the station.
Seems like Bergevin tries one more move to keep his head out of the water... Would we be excited about this change?

Because Laraque makes up over half the shit he spews.

Reactions: the and DXStriker

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Why? At least with someone new there's a chance they can be good. With Bergevin we have 100% certainty that he's not good.
Because there's a difference between being mediocre like Bergevin and being disastrous like Houle was. After a guy like Bergevin you can recover pretty quickly, as he assembled some value on the roster and in picks/prospects. After a guy like Houle, you pick up the pieces for a quarter of the century. I fear Roy might be that kind of guy.

Reactions: Steeler23

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
It's a real situation facing the Habs and one that absolutely infuriates me. There are numerous talented people that could be a candidate for the job if Molson decides to make a change at GM. Why would the franchise show such disrespect to their fans & sponsors and not hire the best person available for the job, regardless of background, gender, etc...

Having or wanting to hire only those people with a French speaking background immediately sets the franchise back and alienates the vast majority of candidates. All that matters are wins, not making sure media gets someone that can answer their question in a certain language.

What do you folks think?

We all know the real GM of this team is Trevor Timmins.

Just watch the first 2 mins. What a joke

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Yeah he is wrong most of the time, but Hartley has a tribune on the station every day except friday. Would he screw up a collegue just like that ?

Oh, I understand what you mean now.

Maybe he's trying to drum up attention for Hartley so the media picks up on it?

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
If Patrick Roy become President. I would not to be his GM lol. To be his Gm is the same thing that a mitt. No way i could see a GM accept a president like him. He wills wants to control everything

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Because there's a difference between being mediocre like Bergevin and being disastrous like Houle was. After a guy like Bergevin you can recover pretty quickly, as he assembled some value on the roster and in picks/prospects. After a guy like Houle, you pick up the pieces for a quarter of the century. I fear Roy might be that kind of guy.

In the past it often took a long time to rebuild because it took a long time for your drafted players to develop into stars. Nowadays that's no longer the case, the league is younger then ever and even outside of top picks it only takes a few years after being drafted for most players who go on to become stars to establish themselves in the NHL.

And with the salary cap it's even easier for teams to rebuild quickly because you can get prospects/decent players by being willing to absorb a bad contract.

I can see why someone might think Roy would be a disaster, but no matter how bad he would end up it wouldn't take long to rebuild if the next GM was competent.

And personally I find Bergevin to be as bad if not worse then Houle.

Reactions: VAN-HAB

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
In the past it often took a long time to rebuild because it took a long time for your drafted players to develop into stars. Nowadays that's no longer the case, the league is younger then ever and even outside of top picks it only takes a few years after being drafted for most players who go on to become stars to establish themselves in the NHL.
Perhaps you're right. Perhaps it's impossible in today's NHL to ruin a team so permanently as Houle did. But why take chances? Why we just don't implement a thorough hiring process? I mean, we're trashing every micro-decision of our every GM, but when the time comes to hire a replacement, we're so relieved that the old guy is gone that we become shockingly cavalier about choosing his successor. How many decades are we willing to just throw the shit at the wall?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Honestly both Julien and fired should be replaced today. Let both go, the experience has run its course.

Replace Julien with Ducharme until the end of the year and replace Bergevin with Timmins or Bouchard, or both until the end of the year. Give them strict parameters on trades and moves, start looking for candidates right now.

Candidates for president:
Candidates for GM: Timmins, Bouchard,
Candidates for coaches: Ducharme, Bouchard

Anyone ever thought of Roy as a president ? The guy is passionate and loves to win, Im not sure he'd be a great GM or coach in MTL, but as a president? I kinda like the idea.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Honestly both Julien and fired should be replaced today. Let both go, the experience has run its course.

Replace Julien with Ducharme until the end of the year and replace Bergevin with Timmins or Bouchard, or both until the end of the year. Give them strict parameters on trades and moves, start looking for candidates right now.

Anyone ever thought of Roy as a president ? The guy is passionate and loves to win, Im not sure he'd be a great GM or coach in MTL, but as a president? I kinda like the idea.
Roy for president would be great.
Even Roy gm and president would be better than Molson owner president and bergevin as a gm

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Timmins as a GM lol

Guys here are blind when it comes to Timmins

Why not try him out up until this summer ? If he does good, keep him, if he does not, he can't be any worse than Bergevin and Bergevin is gone this summer anyway. Wouldn't you like to know what you have on hand before letting him go ?

Roy for president would be great.
Even Roy gm and president would be better than Molson owner president and bergevin as a gm

Most likely would be, but it also wouldn't be optimal. Id rather wait it out and hire the perfect dude than hire someone just to be better than Bergevin.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Habs through their most successful periods did not have “emotional” people in charge - Frank Selke Sr, Sam Pollock were highly intelligent, calculating, and stoic (barely broke a smile).

This org needs less emotion filled passion and more emotionless calculated execution from a highly intelligent type.

Svart

Live Slow, Die Fat
Jul 5, 2006
We're so lucky here in Montreal. We get to choose between one or two candidates.. and pretend we're interested in hiring Pierre McGuire in the process

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Habs through their most successful periods did not have “emotional” people in charge - Frank Selke Sr, Sam Pollock were highly intelligent, calculating, and stoic (barely broke a smile).

This org needs less emotion filled passion and more emotionless calculated execution from a highly intelligent type.
I don't deny that. Basically why I don't want Roy as GM. But as a president? I could see it work. He has to understand that he doesn't touch the roster though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We all know the real GM of this team is Trevor Timmins.

Just watch the first 2 mins. What a joke

I had that reaction as well when I watched that video. And think about when Bergevin started trending better... It was when his buddy Dudley left and Timmins became his right hand man :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad