Player Discussion: Neal Pionk

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I worry that after the recent run of games Pionk is waking up in cold sweats from a nightmare that he's still playing for the leaky, lazy, unengaged, gaffe-prone, team defence-stunted NYR -- only in Winnipeg.
Lots going wrong for the Jets so far but for possession wise Pionk is miles ahead of where he was with the Rangers. Last night he was at a 65.79 CF%, with a 53.62 CF% for the season. Trouba on the other hand is being caved with a 38.59 CF% this season with the Rangers.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Lots going wrong for the Jets so far but for possession wise Pionk is miles ahead of where he was with the Rangers. Last night he was at a 65.79 CF%, with a 53.62 CF% for the season. Trouba on the other hand is being caved with a 38.59 CF% this season with the Rangers.
so_good.png

If the Jets ain't going to give me wins, I'll take the petty

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I won't deny that Pionk has been very good so far, and night in and night out looks like our best d-man despite not playing with anyone great as a D partner. That said it's early and the season is still young- Myers and Pionk look elite by their metrics so far and Trouba and Morrissey are getting lit up. I am cautiously optimistic but I am not waving the "Mission Accomplished" banner just yet.

Reactions: BatVader

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I won't deny that Pionk has been very good so far, and night in and night out looks like our best d-man despite not playing with anyone great as a D partner. That said it's early and the season is still young- Myers and Pionk look elite by their metrics so far and Trouba and Morrissey are getting lit up. I am cautiously optimistic but I am not waving the "Mission Accomplished" banner just yet.
No but we have seen enough at this point to know first hand that he has the required skill set to be an effective NHL player. He skates well and moves the puck well. If at some point in the future any struggles should be met with questions on what is impacting his play, not that the garbage and can't play hockey. If Morrissey struggles for a game or 2 we ask why and what is impacting his play? if Bitetto on the other hand struggles for a game or 2 we don't ask why or what is impacting his play because we already know he doesn't have the skill set to be an effective NHL player.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I remember people saying Tanev is what he is after a hand full of games in the NHL, because he was 24.

Physically, sure, they are mostly developed, but mentally, learning the pace of the game, player tendencies, learning systems, reading systems and all that other stuff can be heavily improved on.

Ya, the general consensus is about 5 to 7 years to develop in the NHL. You see many exceptional players follow that path. The ones that jump in and excel right away are the anomaly not the norm. Pionk is way ahead of the curve in general.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
With JMo's struggles, Pionk may be our best defenseman.

There is not another team in the league that I can think of where that would be even remotely possible.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
been pleasantly surprised by his game so far. he isn't as atrocious as NYR fans claimed he was, but also in a bit of a lesser role and played with superior D partner and Fwds on the Jets. He also did pretty well initially with NYR then his play tailed off considerably, so we'll see if his play can at the minimum continue or better yet improve. He's pretty soft on the boards and tries to be physical but ends up failing. I don't know how much more he can develop but i was expecting Will Butcher-type results in a 2nd or 3rd pairing, i think that's what we're getting so far

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
been pleasantly surprised by his game so far. he isn't as atrocious as NYR fans claimed he was, but also in a bit of a lesser role and played with superior D partner and Fwds on the Jets. He also did pretty well initially with NYR then his play tailed off considerably, so we'll see if his play can at the minimum continue or better yet improve. He's pretty soft on the boards and tries to be physical but ends up failing. I don't know how much more he can develop but i was expecting Will Butcher-type results in a 2nd or 3rd pairing, i think that's what we're getting so far
I find his lack of physicality to be vastly overblown. He's been good at getting body position on guys by using his skating ability and his stick has been very good along the wall. I was at the game last night and saw him a number of times retrieve the puck under pressure, absorb the hit and come away with it. He knows his size limitations and is good at using his strengths.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree that it's too early to put too much stock into the shot metrics, but watching Pionk play around 20 games with the Jets so far (pre-season and regular season) is very encouraging. He plays quickly, is a very good skater, makes quick and smart decisions with the puck, and he is effective in the offensive zone. His size precludes him from winning physical battles, but he's competitive and does fine defensively when he doesn't have the puck. Basically, his "eye test" matches is shot metrics so far, and both are quite positive.

Reactions: KingBogo

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Was just going to screen grab this from a Whilee post in a locked thread. Thanks!

My question: if this persists, is Pionk a victory for the amateur scouting group (from his college days) or the pro scouting group (from his year in NYR)?

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Was just going to screen grab this from a Whilee post in a locked thread. Thanks!

My question: if this persists, is Pionk a victory for the amateur scouting group (from his college days) or the pro scouting group (from his year in NYR)?
If it persists, it'll be a victory for those who choose to actually wait until a player has a handful of games as a Jet before writing them off as garbage.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Pionk has been ok. He hasn't been good. Not relative to his role. He doesn't have the talent for the ice time. Not being bad isn't really what we need for someone playing his minutes. I'd be quite happy if he was playing this level as the 4th best d-man, maybe even 3rd.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Pionk has been ok. He hasn't been good. Not relative to his role. He doesn't have the talent for the ice time. Not being bad isn't really what we need for someone playing his minutes. I'd be quite happy if he was playing this level as the 4th best d-man, maybe even 3rd.

If he's a 3-4, which I think he has been so far, then that's a success for the scouts. The prize of the trade was recovering from the Hayes deal.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
He has not been a 3/4.

name your metric

top 4 this season by:

5v5 CF%
5v5 SCF%
5v5 p/60
Fisher Eye Test

not top 4 by xGF%. i am struggling coming to terms with the discrepancy between Scoring Chances / Corsi and xG this year for the Jets overall. Expect it to go away over time, but it is taking a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducky10

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Agree. He's best slotted in as a #3-4 D, and he looks like he'd be good in that role. A healthy Buff would put the Jets' D into more appropriate slots, starting with Pionk.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Without Buff, the Jets are missing an impactful dman, an all situations monster, that can change the course of a game. “Good Buff” was exactly that. “Bad Buff” gave fans fits.

Pionk hasn’t sucked. He’s played fine, but he doesn’t take over a game or tilt the ice in the Jets favour. Not that HE has too. He only needs to be a solid contributor, which he has been.

I’d like to see a Bulldog 2nd pairing of Samberg-Pionk one day. Perhaps as early as next year.

Reactions: Whileee

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I think he’s exceeded expectations so far.
It’s early of course but he’s not hot garbage like some have indicated he might be.

Reactions: Jets 31

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
There seems to be a subconscious bias against Pionk. It's like a small scale case of social conformity and short sighted confirmation bias among some fans. The Trouba trade was widely considered as a massive failure of a trade when it happened. It was ridiculed and considered by many as an embarrassment. That was the narrative. So some people think "oh it's that "Pee-onk" guy from the baaaad trade. Oh he must suck". Thats what everyone said! "Oh I and really really bashed that Trouba trade when it happened too. I did emoticons and memes too. Got to validate that opinion somehow."

* sees one bad pass/decision by Pionk in a game* (ignores or down plays everything else) Subconscious Reaction: "oh thats right, he was from that baaad trade the Jets got hosed on. He sucks! Just a bottom pair scrub! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! "

Without that stigma associated with the Trouba trade, and perhaps having a last name such as Armstrong or Champion, maybe Pionk isn't as overlooked as he is.:sarcasm:

p.s = yeah I went way overboard with my rant. I still think there some semblance of truth to it though

More like “I have never watched the player, but the other fan base says he sucks, so he must suck”.
Hence it’s decided that he’s a bad player.

Reactions: Jet and Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad