NBC TV Ratings So Far

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Do you think your crappy HFboard analysis you came up with is more likely correct than what multi billion dollar companies use to spend millions in advertising?

Why Nielsen Ratings Are Inaccurate, and Why They’ll Stay That Way

Facing pressure from clients, Nielsen says it is changing how it measures television ratings

Nielsen Plays Catch-Up as Streaming Era Wreaks Havoc on TV Raters

CNBC to Stop Using Nielsen for Ratings

https://gizmodo.com/5748122/deep-inside-the-flawed-nielsen-ratings-system

Nielsen is Quietly Losing the Local Ratings War

Why Nielsen Ratings Are Flawed: Explained

Nielsen does an okay job when looking at the entire population of the US as 40,000 is a large sample. 400 for the totality of the Pittsburgh market is terrible.

This one is a pretty interesting read comparing the big data movement to that of political polls and how Nielsen is still best for the large population but might fall behind in small markets.

Can We Trust Political Polls and Why Do We Still Use Nielsen Ratings? | clypd

Last edited:

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I would guess that the Buffalo ratings have more to do with the Leafs being in the playoffs and a lot of Toronto fans living just across the border? I think this is more likely the case than Sabres fans tuning in...

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Why Nielsen Ratings Are Inaccurate, and Why They’ll Stay That Way

Facing pressure from clients, Nielsen says it is changing how it measures television ratings

Nielsen Plays Catch-Up as Streaming Era Wreaks Havoc on TV Raters

CNBC to Stop Using Nielsen for Ratings

https://gizmodo.com/5748122/deep-inside-the-flawed-nielsen-ratings-system

Nielsen is Quietly Losing the Local Ratings War

Why Nielsen Ratings Are Flawed: Explained

Nielsen does an okay job when looking at the entire population of the US as 40,000 is a large sample. 400 for the totality of the Pittsburgh market is terrible.

This one is a pretty interesting read comparing the big data movement to that of political polls and how Nielsen is still best for the large population but might fall behind in small markets.

Can We Trust Political Polls and Why Do We Still Use Nielsen Ratings? | clypd

Do you REALLY think Neilsen boxes are still used? Most cable is digital, they know what you are watching in the same way a website knows which pages generate the most traffic.

Also does anyone know the ratings in Canada?

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Do you REALLY think Neilsen boxes are still used? Most cable is digital, they know what you are watching in the same way a website knows which pages generate the most traffic.

Unless something has completely changed since the 2017 playoffs when the NHL PR department cited Nielsen in their press releases, Nielsen is still the industry standard.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

seriously, they don't just know what we're watching, they know what snacks we're eating and which commercials we're walking away from to take a piss :laugh:

WeLoveHockey

Apr 18, 2018

Kudos to Buffalo, without a team in the playoffs.

I can pretty much guarantee Buffalo is #1 by a wide margin in reality. This doesn't account for the 30-50% of the people in this area who prefer watching the Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts(we get CBLT and CBC Canadian stations as local TV stations over the air like people get NBC, Fox etc in other cities) since that is a Canadian TV station and doesn't factor into the ratings.

Buffalo loves hockey...doesn't matter who is playing. I've personally watched every game from start to finish...even the games that have gone into double OT and finished at nearly 2AM. We are the closest thing to a Canadian city in regards to our love for hockey as you will find.

If the Sabres were in the playoffs it wouldnt even be close we would probably have close a 10 rating.

Reactions: The Missing Piece

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
Buffalo is a great hockey town. During the Hasek era, their arena was among the loudest in the league in the playoffs.

JasonCable

Sep 28, 2014
These ratings become more legit after the 1st round when the local broadcasts stop showing the games of teams in the playoffs.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I don’t know if they’re going to get much better if we don’t get a few closer series

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Buffalo is always in the top 5 usually top 3 with there team no where near the playoffs.

Not sure why people think this is new or some accomplishment.

It’s basically been hockey town USA for years and if the sabres get good you will see it go even higher.

What I find most interesting here is no Vegas. Vegas is usually always in top ten or maybe that’s just the finals for obvious but now they have a team that’s doing so well and not there. Gotta be in top 15

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
only a complete moron would watch NBA playoff instead of NHL playoffs........ btw, can't believe they are being played at the same time. i remember there once was a 14 to a month difference..... anyone know why they now start at the same time.... seems idiotic

They always happen around the same time.

If there’s a week or two difference in the past it’s probably because the playoffs started early or later for whatever reasons (lockouts olympics, among other scheduling issues)

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Wjc *cough*

Oh come on.

Overpriced tickets among other issues like poor marketing were the reason.

It was an awful tournament and I wouldn’t of payed top dollar for that either.

It had nothing to do with NHL, if it’s NHL buffalo is there, all the time every time. Except there team in the playoffs anyway

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe

then tell us how ratings are measured.... i actually really want to know

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Americans will always choose to watch NBA and NFL over the NHL. I think it's beneficial for the NHL to start their regular season in September as opposed to October. The number of exhibition games should also be reduced to like 3-5 games. With just a simple change the NHL playoffs would start a month before NBA and viewer ratings would increase a **** ton. Just my opinion.

But in regards to your question about why they start at the same time - it's because both regular seasons start pretty much same time and they both have 82 regular season games. NBA loves advertising for their x-mas games as well so I don't see them changing anything about their schedule.

NBA should run December - August instead of October - June. I don't see why basketball can't go in the summer, and it would fill a pretty large gap when there is currently nothing going on but baseball. Win-win.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Yep, gotta be the force fed attention. Couldn't be the mastery of marketing, star power, and diversity of appeal to several races/demographics.

Hockey fans are to sports what death metal fans are to music. Generally speaking, to the uninitiated, death metal is terrible music and hockey is a terrible sport. Basketball is great for casual fans and new fans. Lots of scoring, fewer 'strange' rules vs hockey, you can actually tell what happened on the play without a replay. Sometimes people act like 'if we can just get people to see a game of hockey, they'll be hooked!', which is nonsense. Almost everyone has seen a hockey game or three at some time, and the vast majority just didn't like it.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

then tell us how ratings are measured.... i actually really want to know

In fact they are. Nielsen uses the 40,000 or so boxes nationwide and also uses diaries that people self report (those for obvious reasons are not factored into quick numbers). There are competing ratings companies that use the cable box numbers and even digital over-the-top based viewing numbers, but those are often seen as being inaccurate. How many in household are actually watching the TV at anytime? Is anyone? Cable boxes are generally always on, so a lot of the time when the TV is off, the cable box is still on a channel. It is tough to weed out those in a straight digitally based measurement platform.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I would guess that the Buffalo ratings have more to do with the Leafs being in the playoffs and a lot of Toronto fans living just across the border? I think this is more likely the case than Sabres fans tuning in...
You think there are tons of Toronto fans living in Buffalo? So many in fact that they skew ratings? Cmon ... hahahaha

Reactions: Atticus Finch

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Not many people move from Toronto to live in Buffalo.

Reactions: berlin

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
I don't watch basketball, just find it boring, but I find myself less interested in hockey too. Can't figure out why, I tune in and just kinda lose interest. I end up watching Discovery or a baseball game.

Is it the officiating, which is brutal? Replays that kill the flow of the game? Nothing worse than a goal scored, only to be reviewed and taken back because a player was 1/4 inch over the blue line. Especially when that 'offsides' was 45 seconds ago and the defensive team had possession but couldn't clear the zone.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad