NBC TV Ratings So Far

Mooy04

Apr 5, 2017
Los Angeles
These are just for NBC only, correct? Because for my local markets the Kings and Ducks have been on the fox sport channels. So it would make sense they wouldn't show up in the top of the NBC broadcasts. Or am I missing something here? These don't include other networks.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
I laughed but basketball is a very entertaining sport and has some of the absolute best athletes in the world. I dislike the extremely egocentric attitudes, but I only watch the games.

Also Raps are winning it this year and are led by DeRozan, one of the most down to earth players in the league. So a bit of different story.
used to be okay... but these super teams have sucked the fun of out it..... at least for me

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
These are just for NBC only, correct? Because for my local markets the Kings and Ducks have been on the fox sport channels. So it would make sense they wouldn't show up in the top of the NBC broadcasts. Or am I missing something here? These don't include other networks.
Same here in Nashville. Fox is showing the broadcast too.

Mooy04

Apr 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Same here in Nashville. Fox is showing the broadcast too.
It would also make sense for Buffalo to be so high. They have a big hockey fanbase there but since they aren't in the playoffs most would be watching the national broadcasts, so NBC. I am surprise to not see more non-playoff team markets in the top ten.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
In Boston market (Comcast subscriber) we generally get one game on NBC in high def and one on USA or another channel in what can only be described as low def. I’m spoiled but the low def version is pretty terrible. Come on Comcast — can we not do better than that. Please?

I should clarify that I’m talking non Bruins games which are high def NESN.

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018
It is, but so is hockey.

NBA players are a lot more human and relatable than NHL robots, I think that plays a part in the larger audience.

If people watched the sports only because they were “fun to watch” there probably wouldn’t be such a large separation in viewerships.
pure speculation

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I have trouble paying attention to hockey when my team isn't playing. I may tune in the third period. I still flip the channels even during the playoffs. Stanley cup finals seems better but the league does a poor job overall.
The league fails to mArket its star players. The game needs to change if they expect to attract more than just the average fan.
The lack of scoring and fighting limits the appeal to the novice viewer.
NHL IS A niche sport.
They don't even talk hockey on the Sports radio stations in many U.S. citirs.
When they do that team must be in the playoffs.
And cities that don't have hockey teams get no mention.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
I wonder why Denver isn't in the top 10, I mean being a sports city with all those championships and all....

Hey look, a Nashville fan attempting to take a shot at the city that their team is playing. Thats not too predictable.

Don't be that guy. There are a lot of good hockey markets not on that list. You don't need to hamfist an insult in every post you make.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I have trouble paying attention to hockey when my team isn't playing. I may tune in the third period. I still flip the channels even during the playoffs. Stanley cup finals seems better but the league does a poor job overall.
The league fails to mArket its star players. The game needs to change if they expect to attract more than just the average fan.
The lack of scoring and fighting limits the appeal to the novice viewer.
NHL IS A niche sport.
They don't even talk hockey on the Sports radio stations in many U.S. citirs.
When they do that team must be in the playoffs.
And cities that don't have hockey teams get no mention.

As far as marketing the star players it doesent help when a lot of the new stars have gone to teams like Edmonton and Toronto.

If they land somewhere like nyr Chicago St. Louis Or la as we saw with Gretzky it would be a lot easier.

It would also be better if the player was American too, having so many Canadians is s but bleh for e

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
What i find boring in basketball is that there hardly is any suspense outside of last seconds of 4th quarter. They just make basket after basket until it's blowout or the game is decided by final two attacks. In sports like hockey, soccer or even american football there is constant suspense. One successful play can change the whole game. One goal is HUGE. Otherwise there are nice plays and you can see the athleticism and skill in basketball but am I on the edge of my seat when watching it? No. It's different for those sports that i mentioned and especially for hockey.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
These ratings don't reflect local ratings. To my knowledge all local markets in the 1st round are local broadcasts.

For example none of the ratings from the pens/flyers include pitt/philly, unless there's some weird thing with philly and nbc since they basically own them.

Pittsburgh being high in the ratings is based on pittsburgh watching neutral games, not watching the penguins.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
What is wrong with you?

The fact that this post has been up for almost an hour and no mod has done anything about it is ****ing brutal

Beyond being insecure and having massive inferiority complexes, it's always remarkable how even a brief mention of the NBA triggers a certain undesirable segment of the NHL's fanbase on these boards. And boy, do they ever suck at hiding their views.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think the black demographic doesn't have much interest in Hockey due to it being a primarily white sport. Lack of representation probably has a major effect on the black demographic's interest, that can be responsible for probably at least 1x of that missing viewership I would imagine. Whereas with the NBA they have a lot of interest there with their over representation in that sport, and the sport generally being more relateable.

Black guy here. We don't have much interest because...

1) the NHL has never made much of a concerted effort to market itself or make itself more appealing to demographics outside of its primary audience;

2) the game is a niche sport and has no foundation at the grassroots level in places where the demographics aren't primarily the homogeneous and monolithic ones it already appeals to;

3) the expense of the sport and lack of subsidized initiatives to introduce kids to the sport at a young age means people gravitate towards the more easily accessible options instead (and that goes for all demographics and is the primary reason why the NHL's talent pool is so small);

4) Hockey's representation is minimal because its athletes are generally not marketed due to more importance being placed on the NHL projecting a particular image rather than letting the individuality of its athletes become marketable. And the game itself is more interested in maintaining its traditional aspects than finding ways of improving its product and appealing to a more diverse audience;

5) Non traditional demographics who do try to get into the sport at the grassroots level are either subjected with being reminded constantly they're outsiders in this game by vitriolic parents and peers and fans. And those who come to it as adults are constantly told by a large contingent of insecure hockey fans that the sports they already enjoy are "dumb, stupid and boring" while only harboring criminals and appealing to the lowest common denominator. Not very welcoming.

Last edited:

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
They do draw 5x the audience. There's either a lot of morons or we may be missing something....

Good amount of subtext and undertones in this post...

Why is that, exactly?

It's basketball, that's why. It's a bore to watch. No need to get defensive because you enjoy such a thing, heck darts is super popular in Europe too. Enjoy what you like.

edit: Oh and since it matters now I guess.. I'm a white hispanic guy who dislikes the NFL,MLB and MLS just as much. Those sports simply put me to sleep

Reactions: berlin

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
used to be okay... but these super teams have sucked the fun of out it..... at least for me
It's no different than the Pens. They added a great player Brassard for peanuts. And they'll probably 3-peat this year.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
No clue why Detroit is called hockey town. Buffalo is the real hockey town of America. They always have great ratings in the playoffs even if the Sabres suck.

One of the most popular American teams, most championships by a US based team, arguably the strongest traveling fan base of a US based team, several of the greatest players in hockey history spent their entire (or the majority of) careers in Detroit, take your pick.

Buffalo has always been a good market, but it's definitely not better than Original 6 cities like Detroit or the other five.

Wolf Larsen

Jan 10, 2017
Black guy here. We don't have much interest because...

1) the NHL has never made much of a concerted effort to market itself or make itself more appealing to demographics outside of its primary audience;

2) the game is a niche sport and has no foundation at the grassroots level in places where the demographics aren't primarily the homogeneous and monolithic ones it already appeals to;

3) the expense of the sport and lack of subsidized initiatives to introduce kids to the sport at a young age means people gravitate towards the more easily accessible options instead (and that goes for all demographics and is the primary reason why the NHL's talent pool is so small);

4) Hockey's representation is minimal because its athletes are generally not marketed due to more importance being placed on the NHL projecting a particular image rather than letting the individuality of its athletes become marketable. And the game itself is more interested in maintaining its traditional aspects than finding ways of improving its product and appealing to a more diverse audience;

5) Non traditional demographics who do try to get into the sport at the grassroots level are either subjected with being reminded constantly they're outsiders in this game by vitriolic parents and peers and fans. And those who come to it as adults are constantly told by a large contingent of insecure hockey fans that the sports they already enjoy are "dumb, stupid and boring" while only harboring criminals and appealing to the lowest common denominator. Not very welcoming.

White guy here. I agree that hockey is more of a niche sport than basketball due, in part, to the expense of the sport.

One thing hockey has going for it is that we can relate better to the folks playing it in that basketball players tend to be a couple of standard deviations in height from the norm while in hockey you have short, ugly players like Marchand that people like me are better able to identify with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->