NBC TV Ratings So Far

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
They do draw 5x the audience. There's either a lot of morons or we may be missing something....
if the NHL got a fraction of the force fed attention the NBA gets on ESPN and other sporting outlets, it wouldn't be as far spread as it is. for all the years hockey in general has got shit on in this country, I am always positively surprised the ratings and attendance it consistently gets. and to answer the question- there are a lot of morons in this country...none on here of course!

Reactions: berlin

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I laughed but basketball is a very entertaining sport and has some of the absolute best athletes in the world. I dislike the extremely egocentric attitudes, but I only watch the games.

Also Raps are winning it this year and are led by DeRozan, one of the most down to earth players in the league. So a bit of different story.
DeRozan has baked millions of cakes and thinks that his boss will like his latest creation

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Not an edit, I guess my other post got deleted.

Again, my point is clear. I stand by what I said earlier.
Probably because even you called me a moron even though I wasn't referencing the NBA and you said I was. Lol. Post has nothing to do with race either.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
if the NHL got a fraction of the force fed attention the NBA gets on ESPN and other sporting outlets, it wouldn't be as far spread as it is. for all the years hockey in general has got **** on in this country, I am always positively surprised the ratings and attendance it consistently gets. and to answer the question- there are a lot of morons in this country...none on here of course!

Yep, gotta be the force fed attention. Couldn't be the mastery of marketing, star power, and diversity of appeal to several races/demographics.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Probably because even you called me a moron even though I wasn't referencing the NBA and you said I was. Lol.

Yes, that’s the point I was trying to get across lol.

You may have been referencing the NFL and I was wrong on that but the intention was there. Either way, I’m done here

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
They do draw 5x the audience. There's either a lot of morons or we may be missing something....
I think the black demographic doesn't have much interest in Hockey due to it being a primarily white sport. Lack of representation probably has a major effect on the black demographic's interest, that can be responsible for probably at least 1x of that missing viewership I would imagine. Whereas with the NBA they have a lot of interest there with their over representation in that sport, and the sport generally being more relateable.

A lot of the white demographic may be missing due to a lack of enough knowledge about Hockey with it not being represented well in the areas they grew up in, or due to bias with it being a non American sport, those could possibly be reasons for another 1x or 2x less viewership as well.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
I think you have to include the Providence numbers into the Boston media market.... those have to be mostly Bruins fans.

While you are probably right that they are Bruins fans, where do you draw the line for combining markets? Cleveland is minutes from being equal distance from Pittsburgh and Columbus. Who gets to claim them?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I think the black demographic doesn't have much interest in Hockey due to it being a primarily white sport. Lack of representation probably has a major effect on the black demographic's interest, that can be responsible for probably at least 1x of that missing viewership I would imagine. Whereas with the NBA they have a lot of interest there with their over representation in that sport, and the sport generally being more relateable.

A lot of the white demographic may be missing due to alack of knowledge about Hockey with it not being represented well in the areas they grew up in, or due to bias with it being a non American sport, those could possibly be reasons for another 1x or 2x less viewership as well.

All factual.

The NHL is a niche sport. Always surprised when people take offence, or are somehow surprised by the dumpy ratings.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
These numbers need to be taken with context.

They're all relative to population size, so you could have 5x the amount of people watching in the NYC area with much worse ratings. Same for LA.

This

That's not how this works. The ratings are a percentage. Combining Boston and Providence would lower Boston's ratings.
and this.

They are a percentage of households with their TV on. Nielsen ratings are terribly sampled and likely do not resemble even in the slightest the actual viewership.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

member 147413

NBA players and fans also LOVE social media, there’s a lot of attention/“drama” on social media which people eat up.

When you take an entertaining sport, add over the top personalities, and multiple global social networks you get the best reality tv drama.

NHL personalities tend to be a lot more tame in comparison.

Playing hockey is also very expensive.

Then there’s politics and distribution of wealth issues in the US.

The NBA gets a lot more viewership than the NHL... and it’s not a result of fan intelligence.

Reactions: CrypTic

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yep, gotta be the force fed attention. Couldn't be the mastery of marketing, star power, and diversity of appeal to several races/demographics.
you really think the NBA is where it is at because of star power? mastery of marketing? what??? they are where they are at because of being force fed down the throats of Americans for 20 plus years. the sport was nearly doomed right around Magic and Bird era, but they resurrected it,and then Jordan came and the rest has been forced down us on every sporting news network since...I have no idea what "star power" you speak of, but if ESPN stopped promoting the NBA the way they do and swatted them off their tit, it would be a bit different world for basketball.

but I don't personally blame ESPN or other sports outlets, hockey had its chance in 94' when the Rangers won the Cup and the spotlight was firmly on the game....and then the idiots strike right after it lol! such wasted opportunity there and nobody to blame but themselves. basketball has been in bed with ESPN for years, to a sickening degree.

I will keep my fingers crossed when ESPN 8 starts playing hockey over women's basketball

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
NBA players and fans also LOVE social media, there’s a lot of attention/“drama” on social media which people eat up.

When you take an entertaining sport, add over the top personalities, and multiple global social networks you get the best reality tv drama.

The NBA gets a lot more viewership than the NHL... and it’s not a result of fan intelligence.

Or maybe it’s the fact that basketball is fun to watch?

member 147413

Or maybe it’s the fact that basketball is fun to watch?
It is, but so is hockey.

NBA players are a lot more human and relatable than NHL robots, I think that plays a part in the larger audience.

If people watched the sports only because they were “fun to watch” there probably wouldn’t be such a large separation in viewerships.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
This is not meant to slight Pittsburgh or Buffalo, but to illustrate the terrible nature of Nielsen ratings. There are about 111 million television households. Roughly 1.1 million in Pittsburgh market.

There are reportedly 40,000 Nielsen boxes in the entire US. If Nielsen distributes them at the percentage of television households, it means that there are 400 or so TVs in the Pittsburgh market with a Nielsen box. Assuming every TV was on, it means 10 of the 400 Nielsen TVs were tuned to the Pens game. This means that especially in small markets one or two of the Nielsen TVs account for a huge portion of that number.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

I'm not saying the viewership would automatically switch, but if you want to watch a hockey game you have to put in some work to find it

NBA never had that problem...they always have (had) their Conf and Finals games on ABC which you can get with rabbit ears. Have to have cable if you want to see the NHL

It's all about exposure and the NHL won't get it with NBC dedicating prime time to drama shows vs NHL

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Sigh...do those claiming that ESPN is responsible for the NBA leaving the NHL in its dust from the 80's onward also believe that the network (along with TNT), as well as most recently with social media, have unfairly chosen the NBA?

I suppose my question is....does the separation in viewership really seem artificial to you? Is the explanation not clear as day?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
you really think the NBA is where it is at because of star power? mastery of marketing? what??? they are where they are at because of being force fed down the throats of Americans for 20 plus years. the sport was nearly doomed right around Magic and Bird era, but they resurrected it,and then Jordan came and the rest has been forced down us on every sporting news network since...I have no idea what "star power" you speak of, but if ESPN stopped promoting the NBA the way they do and swatted them off their tit, it would be a bit different world for basketball.

Xqx61AC.gif

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
This is not meant to slight Pittsburgh or Buffalo, but to illustrate the terrible nature of Nielsen ratings. There are about 111 million television households. Roughly 1.1 million in Pittsburgh market.

There are reportedly 40,000 Nielsen boxes in the entire US. If Nielsen distributes them at the percentage of television households, it means that there are 400 or so TVs in the Pittsburgh market with a Nielsen box. Assuming every TV was on, it means 10 of the 400 Nielsen TVs were tuned to the Pens game. This means that especially in small markets one or two of the Nielsen TVs account for a huge portion of that number.

Do you think your crappy HFboard analysis you came up with is more likely correct than what multi billion dollar companies use to spend millions in advertising?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad