Post-Game Talk: Nashville 4 Edmonton 0

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Thank God I'm at work so I missed this one. I checked it late in the 2nd and saw this hum-dinger, which pretty well sums up this season:

25348771_10155728483625196_1818985722001839650_n.jpg

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Because the Oilers have 59:26 to tie the game. If you're going to blame anyone or anything for that loss it was the PP failing to score on a two minute 5-on-3.

It is possible for there to be more than one thing contributing to the game. Croissant's brutal goal and the PP both played a role in the loss to the Leafs.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It is possible for there to be more than one thing contributing to the game. Croissant's brutal goal and the PP both played a role in the loss to the Leafs.
Your goalie lets in only one goal (and it was in the first 34 seconds), your team should be able to at least take the game to OT. Really ridiculous to lay blame on the goalie for that loss.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
In the Leafs shutout that goal against was horrible, and the only goal of the game. How is that not on Croissant? If for nothing else costing the Oilers one point.

The Oilers literally had 59 minutes and change to get it back.

Has Brossoit been good - I would say largely no - however he's not the reason we lost that game and he's damn sure not the reason we lost this one.

I don't care if you have prime Hasek in net, you're losing the vast majority of the games that you score zero goals in regulation.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Your goalie lets in only one goal (and it was in the first 34 seconds), your team should be able to at least take the game to OT. Really ridiculous to lay blame on the goalie for that loss.
If he lets in zero then the game goes to OT....

Why do the Oilers consistently have the second best goalie on the ice during games?

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Answer the question Croissant-apologist. How many goals do the Oilers give up with an average backup playing in net? Quid pro quo?

4 maybe 3, he had no chance on 3 at all, maybe he could have saved the 5on3 goal, that's it. High stick tip should't have even counted, the 2nd goal, screened point shot deflects to guy wide open on the side, 3rd Turris gets a puck landing on his stick right in the slot and puts it perfectly top shelf. Just watch the damn replays. Even the Oilers had so many chances and deflections tonight, none in the net, that to me is bad luck, they got 46 shots FFS!

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They certainly outworked the Preds but they didn't outsmart them. The Oilers have very few dangerous weapons because nobody can shoot worth a damn. Super easy shutout for Saros tonight.

The Oilers are amazing at working hard at accomplishing nothing.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. They seem to explode for tons of goals every other game and against some elite goalies but when there's not much goal scoring skill on the team there's going to be inconsistent scoring and that's when you need the goalie to make some big saves. Not blaming Brossoit tonight as those were tough shots to save but he never seems to make a tough save when it counts.

Credit to the team for continuing to plug away even in the 3rd when the game was out of reach, that effort will be rewarded in due time. Pride is pretty much what we're left with for the remainder of the season. As long as they bring the effort it's hard to be too upset. I've given up on the playoff hope a while ago, right after the Buffalo game basically so I don't get mad anymore at losses and enjoy the wins when they come.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is one of the most bizarre teams I think I've ever seen, lol. 6 and 7 goals scored on Price and Bobrovsky, then get shut out by two back-ups in the same stretch, lol.

And you might say "well they must have played like garbage in the shut out games" ... except they might actually have played better in those two games than in the two wins ... lol.

At some point you just have to laugh about it.

Reactions: McDaddy

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Just to add: I think this is finally the end of this season's hopes. Any chance of a playoff berth is now dead.

So -- what should they be focusing on? They've got a team of defence who can't shoot the puck on net, and a bunch of forwards who can't shoot and score.

They've signed Leon Draisaitl to a hugely expensive long-term contract and he's concussed while playing at a 62-point pace.

And, meanwhile, they're potentially wasting the prime years of Connor McDavid, which must be starting about now.

Pick yer poison!

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Alowlyoilersfan

Sep 28, 2017
it was a tough first goal but it came off the heels of missed powerplay opportunities. we had all the momentum, but we let it slip away. we score on either of those opportunities and we take the game.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If he lets in zero then the game goes to OT....

Why do the Oilers consistently have the second best goalie on the ice during games?

They dont always have the second best goalie, they just have worse shooters... I mean besides Mcdavid and maybe Draisaitl is their anyone on this team who can snipe the puck? Anyone who you'd consider being a 30+ goal scorer at some point in their career?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well, I wouldn't go that far. They seem to explode for tons of goals every other game and against some elite goalies but when there's not much goal scoring skill on the team there's going to be inconsistent scoring and that's when you need the goalie to make some big saves. Not blaming Brossoit tonight as those were tough shots to save but he never seems to make a tough save when it counts.

Credit to the team for continuing to plug away even in the 3rd when the game was out of reach, that effort will be rewarded in due time. Pride is pretty much what we're left with for the remainder of the season. As long as they bring the effort it's hard to be too upset. I've given up on the playoff hope a while ago, right after the Buffalo game basically so I don't get mad anymore at losses.

The bolded is just it. He makes the saves he should make (and sometimes doesn't) but he's completely unremarkable. If the opposition gets a dangerous chance it's almost always in the back of the net.

The Oilers have to work hard because they know they can't rely on their goalie.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They dont always have the second best goalie, they just have worse shooters... I mean besides Mcdavid and maybe Draisaitl is their anyone on this team who can snipe the puck? Anyone who you'd consider being a 30+ goal scorer at some point in their career?
Nobody besides McDavid and even then I'm skeptical because he refuses to shoot.

We have complete trash for wingers to boot.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The Oilers literally had 59 minutes and change to get it back.

Has Brossoit been good - I would say largely no - however he's not the reason we lost that game and he's damn sure not the reason we lost this one.

I don't care if you have prime Hasek in net, you're losing the vast majority of the games that you score zero goals in regulation.

So Croissant hasn't contributed to any of the losses?

Again, just because you can't blame a loss 100% on a goalie that doesn't mean they didn't contribute to it.

This team with Croissant in net reminds me of 2013-14 behind Doobie. One bad goal early and the team loses confidence. When they know the goalie isn't on their game they just can't recover.

People apologized for Doobie that season as well.

fwiw the Oilers are behind their pace in 2015-16, when they finished second last in the league.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I would lay a sizeable bet that Puljujarvi scores 30 when he hits his prime.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Yupthe team failed but it wasn’t a lack of trying. They played as good as a team could of, breakaways, multiple chances. Just wouldn’t go in, it happens over a 82 game season, because you can’t win them all no matter how hard you try.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Jesse maybe in a few years. Too raw right now. But yeah, nobody else. We haven't had a "sniper" here since like Bill Guerin 20 years ago.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So Croissant hasn't contributed to any of the losses?

Again, just because you can't blame a loss 100% on a goalie that doesn't mean they didn't contribute to it.

This team with Croissant in net reminds me of 2013-14 behind Doobie. One bad goal early and the team loses confidence. When they know the goalie isn't on their game they just can't recover.

People apologized for Doobie that season as well.

fwiw the Oilers are behind their pace in 2015-16, when they finished second last in the league.

Why don't you go ahead and finish the train of thought you're on - what happened with Dubie once the impatient mob with torches and pitchforks got their way?

Became one of the best starters in the league? No, that can't be right...

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yupthe team failed but it wasn’t a lack of trying. They played as good as a team could of, breakaways, multiple chances. Just wouldn’t go in, it happens over a 82 game season, because you can’t win them all no matter how hard you try.
It seems to happen to this team a lot.

You know why that is?

Because they're really not that good.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lucic has been playing well of late so I'll give him some props, but his decision making is so painful at times. Usually passing to Connor is the right play, but if he passed that puck to Jesse instead on that 3-on-1 I think they score because Puljujarvi had way more speed on the right side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad