Confirmed with Link: (NAS/MTL) Shea Weber for P.K. Subban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Except the way that sheet was structured.

I disagree. Again, offer sheets are just about always matched and Poile said they'd match anything. Knowing this, the structure doesn't matter. It was getting matched regardless.

People take things too personal. This is a business, and the structure was meant to maximize Weber's finances before these types of contracts disappeared.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I disagree. Again, offer sheets are just about always matched and Poile said they'd match anything. Knowing this, the structure doesn't matter. It was getting matched regardless.

People take things too personal. This is a business, and the structure was meant to maximize Weber's finances before these types of contracts disappeared.

While Poile may have said that, in part due to Suter having just left, the structure was very much created to prevent the team from matching. The organization was viewed externally as financially unable to match.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
While Poile may have said that, in part due to Suter having just left, the structure was very much created to prevent the team from matching. The organization was viewed externally as financially unable to match.
The structure was the only way Philly had a chance so of course they front loaded it.

Weber didn't structure the contract, Philly did, it was the only way I'm guessing they'd even submit it to Weber.

Weber said, he knew it would be matched.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
another outside take on the situation that brought us here. http://thehockeywriters.com/philadelphia-won-the-shea-weber-offer-sheet/ I can't for the life of me understand why he didn't expect it.
Arbitration- strike 1
Offer sheet-strike 2
trying to scare Poile and missing (j/k) costing him an eye= i'm going to wait until we're legit contenders and break one off in you superstar!
IMO[/B] P.K. made this happen a year early...Weber would be unprotected in the expansion draft had he not come available via trade.

Summary: 2 of the better Dmen to play the game today made us a contender by leaving. In my heart Webs and Jonesey will forever be Pred HoFr's for this reason. :handclap::yo:

PJackb

Aug 10, 2016
Habs fan here....I've always loved PK aand you are getting a very talented player. Now, the Habs last year after losing Price, fell apart, a young captain and no player really capable to lead the group, even Subban who is not, yet, a leader. Also, Subban was not liked by everybody in the room and is not easy to coach (maybe Lavi will do a good job) and had a very busy (maybe too busy?) social life.

With Weber, just his presence because of his incredible leadership qualities and his toughness, make the Habs a better team. We needed a guy like that badly. More than we needed the flash and dash of Subban (especially after drafting Sergachev who is not far from being NHL ready). I think both teams will benefit immediately from the trade.
Now, before I leave, some people think there are issues with Subban.

Here is one of them..watch this: http://sprtsnt.ca/29LfGla

I wish the Preds a great season!

^^ Great post

As long as everybody remember that this poster is very biased and one of the absolute worst anti PK on the Habs forum

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
I remember Weber and his agent being shocked it was matched. But I don't trust my memory sometimes....

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I remember Weber and his agent being shocked it was matched. But I don't trust my memory sometimes....
I remember (vaguely) feeling that he figured we would match an offer sheet, but then him being surprised when we matched one as large as Philly's. The whole league however was shocked that little old Nashville matched though.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I remember (vaguely) feeling that he figured we would match an offer sheet, but then him being surprised when we matched one as large as Philly's. The whole league however was shocked that little old Nashville matched though.
And after that the weekly "Predators can't afford to pay Weber" trade rumors. Then after those articles stopped and it appeared that Weber was going to be here until he retired, he gets traded.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Entering free agency, Nashville said they would match any offer Weber signed, and on Tuesday, the organization stayed true to that word.

"Shea is our leader and we did what it took to keep him a Predator," Cigarran said. "The Predators are not here just to survive, but to be an elite franchise that competes for the Cup every year. Our players, players with other organizations around the league and those organizations can now see that the Nashville Predators will not be pushed around by teams from bigger markets."

http://www.wbtv.com/story/19116400/weber-predators-bask-in-glow-of-defensemans-deal

I also remember Weber saying the owners had told him they would match any offer.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I'm still having sort of a tough time adjusting to this trade. anytime one of your favorite players is traded for one of your least favorite players it involves a mental adjustment that just takes awhile. I've never been a fan of the 'hey look at me' type player personalities and in the past that's how I have classified subban, as one of those. I realize it's probably an age thing on my part.

make us a better team and I can get over it.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I'm still having sort of a tough time adjusting to this trade. anytime one of your favorite players is traded for one of your least favorite players it involves a mental adjustment that just takes awhile. I've never been a fan of the 'hey look at me' type player personalities and in the past that's how I have classified subban, as one of those. I realize it's probably an age thing on my part.

make us a better team and I can get over it.

I'm on the same page as you. I welcome PK, but would rather have Weber simply because of the attention that PK seems to seek.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I'm on the same page as you. I welcome PK, but would rather have Weber simply because of the attention that PK seems to seek.

Most in Montreal dismiss that criticism out of hand though. In their opinion, it's not about seeking attention, he's just a)a charitable guy and b)very enthusiastic\fun-loving.

I think he likes to win, bottom line.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Most in Montreal dismiss that criticism out of hand though. In their opinion, it's not about seeking attention, he's just a)a charitable guy and b)very enthusiastic\fun-loving.

He's already shown it here in Nashville. First day here, what does he do? Get all over the internet for singing karoke at a local bar. I get wanting to have some fun which is what he was wanting to do, but wherever he shows up, a circus follows. You don't see that with the other players here.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
He's already shown it here in Nashville. First day here, what does he do? Get all over the internet for singing karoke at a local bar. I get wanting to have some fun which is what he was wanting to do, but wherever he shows up, a circus follows. You don't see that with the other players here.

I would bet good money the team was behind some of that. They love to have someone that they can market, someone that "pops." What I saw was a guy that came to his new city in the middle of the summer and introduced himself to fans.

I just don't see PK as a Manny Ramirez, Terrell Owens type of player.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I would bet good money the team was behind some of that. They love to have someone that they can market, someone that "pops." What I saw was a guy that came to his new city in the middle of the summer and introduced himself to fans.

I just don't see PK as a Manny Ramirez, Terrell Owens type of player.

And I also understand that this is a situation much like Neal's was where we just have to wait and see how things shake out. Neal changed quite a bit being here vs Pitt.

Just initial impression from me is I'd rather have Weber simply because Weber was more low key and doesn't have that "look at me" reputation.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

I think that was part of the point of the trade, though. Making a very engaging person visible will make the Preds more visible in our community and in the league. The All Star game helped lift it some, PK will lift it more. So from a marketing standpoint it's a smart move.

We have bemoaned the fact that top free agents pass us by because they think we're a podunk little southern town--but when someone showcases a vibrant city and celebrates one of the unique facets of the town, well he's a show off. We want our quiet unassuming superstars...but we get mad when they don't get recognition BECAUSE they are quiet and unassuming. We want the arena to really sell out but then we gripe about how great it used to be when we got freebie or cheap tickets and there were no lines at the concession stand. Well we'd better be ready for more people because PK will bring them in, if only because they have heard of him.

Now he just has to be as good as Weber was on the ice. I will miss Weber--I wanted to see him take the Stanley Cup from Bettman in our arena in our laundry. I wish him the best.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
And I also understand that this is a situation much like Neal's was where we just have to wait and see how things shake out. Neal changed quite a bit being here vs Pitt.

Just initial impression from me is I'd rather have Weber simply because Weber was more low key and doesn't have that "look at me" reputation.
To piggy back off Adz's post above....

There was a point in time I would've agreed with you, but as we are right now I think we can benefit from a guy who likes the camera and has a big personality. The Preds are making serious inroads with the sporting (and honestly, general) culture of the city and the way the team and Nashville itself are trending right now I think he's a perfect fit. All Star Weekend here was the hockey version of the coming-out party that the rest of Nashville has been having and enjoying for several years now. He'll be an entertaining player in one of the NHLs most distinct entertainment cities.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
You just can't forget how in love the hockey media fell with Nashville during that ASG. A big, established personality like PK is gonna be a great fit to keep Nashville on the hockey radar. Great fit for that reason. Weber's understated style was valuable for us as we grew and matured. We are ready and quite frankly probably deserve some flash and panache now. Bring it PK - Smashville will be better for it!

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN

I see Cam Newton in PK Subban.

As an Auburn fan, I watched Cam Newton extremely closely while he was in college. Overall, Cam is just a great guy that loves to play football. Despite what his haters said/say, the smile is genuine. The excitement is genuine. The charitable work behind the scenes is done without fanfare and is genuine. However, there's still that streak of immaturity. Some bad decisions. Some leadership issues. Some actions that while well-intentioned, can be misconstrued by anyone with an agenda. In short, there's some bad to go with a TON of good.

PK seems exactly the same.

rubco55

Feb 15, 2016
Toronto
As long as everybody remember that this poster is very biased and one of the absolute worst anti PK on the Habs forum
You really do not know at all !.....I have posted PK clips all over the net, have vids of his pranks, his good deeds, etc....and I will always love him......but the Habs need more what Weber brings to the table than what Subban has given us...because the Habs were in deep trouble last year and Weber can fix a lot of things on top of being a top-d in the league. You should learn not to make assumptions, because it shows that the only biased person here is you...enjoy the season!

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'm not sure who all made up that old guy faction you're referring to(not that I disagree), but what is known is that, supported by Trotz, they rode Radulov very hard and that contributed to him running from Nashville. Not that I agree with what he did, but we can't overlook one of the contributing factors. Obviously, there were other factors. Old guy hockey.

If by "rode" Radulov you mean they tried to get him to act like a professional then I'll agree.

And it's been two months, and I still would undo this deal in a heartbeat. I won't feel good about it until I see us near the top of the standings later in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad