OT: Music Thread

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Tangentially related to listening to music, does anyone play an instrument? I picked up a Gibson Les Paul this week and have been playing non-stop. Fingers are killing me :laugh:

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Tangentially related to listening to music, does anyone play an instrument? I picked up a Gibson Les Paul this week and have been playing non-stop. Fingers are killing me :laugh:

Nice! I have two Gibson LPs, two Epiphone LPs, a Hagstrom Swede (which is an LP clone), and a Strat. And I still can't play an entire song :laugh: Sometimes I'll go through phases where I'll play non-stop, and then I'll go months without picking one up.

What kind did you get?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Nice! I have two Gibson LPs, two Epiphone LPs, a Hagstrom Swede (which is an LP clone), and a Strat. And I still can't play an entire song :laugh: Sometimes I'll go through phases where I'll play non-stop, and then I'll go months without picking one up.

What kind did you get?

Nice. That's a sweet collection!

It's a Gibson Les Paul Faded T (Red Wine). Nothing crazy but I am getting some upgraded hardware on it next week (Nickel pickup plates, new tone knobs) to give it a little more bling. I love playing it though, just plays great.

I've also got a Black Epiphone Les Paul Studio, a Pearl White Epiphone Emperor Swingster Royale, a Blue Squire Strat and a cheap Acoustic.

I jam with some guys once a week so I keep practiced, but it's been years since I have practiced this much on my own. Been really enjoying it.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Nice. That's a sweet collection!

It's a Gibson Les Paul Faded T (Red Wine). Nothing crazy but I am getting some upgraded hardware on it next week (Nickel pickup plates, new tone knobs) to give it a little more bling. I love playing it though, just plays great.

I've also got a Black Epiphone Les Paul Studio, a Pearl White Epiphone Emperor Swingster Royale, a Blue Squire Strat and a cheap Acoustic.

I jam with some guys once a week so I keep practiced, but it's been years since I have practiced this much on my own. Been really enjoying it.

Oh nice! I have basically the same one but with the burstbucker humbuckers. They keep changing the names on those studios. They used to be vintage mahogany, then faded, then something else, and I guess they've gone back to faded now?

Actually all my Les Pauls are Studios:

2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute (Worn Honey Burst)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded (Worn Cherry)
2007 Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon (Blue/Green FlipFlop)
1999 Epiphone Les Paul Studio (Wine Red)

The 1999 Epi was my first one, but the Faded in Worn Cherry was the one I really wanted but wasn't sure if I would have liked guitar playing enough to justify putting that kind of money into getting a Gibson. After I found I really enjoyed it, I bought one. Then my Epi got relegated to my experimental guitar, so I swapped the pickups and put on a Bigsby. The action on it is really low and I need to get new tuners for it cause it rattles.

studio_0002.JPG

My 50's Tribute is a cool one. It was from the original run of 50's Tribute guitars in 2010. These came out of nowhere and were a huge hit once they hit the market so they were really hard to come by. They had that faded finish, P90 pickups, fat neck profile, and were really cheap (for a Gibson). What made it even harder was in 2010 Tennessee was later hit with those floods and the Gibson factory lost all those guitars and stopped production while they tried to get back on their feet.

In 2010, I happened to be in Florida, so I stopped at a Guitar Centre like I always do when I'm in the US and just happened to ask if they had any cause they were kind of the flavour of the day on the Les Paul forums. They actually had one, but it was on layaway. Whatever, I didn't expect to find one anyways. As I'm leaving, the manager asks me if I would buy it if he sold it to me. Hell yeah, that's why I asked. The guy who had it on layaway only put $50 on it and it had been sitting there for months. Scores! I really wanted the Goldtop, but the Honey Burst was still really nice. I'll end up with a Goldtop some day.

50sTribute.jpg

My strat was a cheap pickup I got from a kid on Kijiji. I just wanted something I could strip down to the bare body and build back up. Here's the finished product.

project_strat_20100925_0002.jpg

I don't think I have any pictures of my Chameleon. I just bought it cause it looked cool haha

Must resist meat flute jokes

I'm not gonna lie: I totally thought to myself "Meth's gonna come in here with a skin flute comment" :laugh:

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Oh nice! I have basically the same one but with the burstbucker humbuckers. They keep changing the names on those studios. They used to be vintage mahogany, then faded, then something else, and I guess they've gone back to faded now?

Actually all my Les Pauls are Studios:

2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute (Worn Honey Burst)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded (Worn Cherry)
2007 Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon (Blue/Green FlipFlop)
1999 Epiphone Les Paul Studio (Wine Red)

The 1999 Epi was my first one, but the Faded in Worn Cherry was the one I really wanted but wasn't sure if I would have liked guitar playing enough to justify putting that kind of money into getting a Gibson. After I found I really enjoyed it, I bought one. Then my Epi got relegated to my experimental guitar, so I swapped the pickups and put on a Bigsby. The action on it is really low and I need to get new tuners for it cause it rattles.

studio_0002.JPG

My 50's Tribute is a cool one. It was from the original run of 50's Tribute guitars in 2010. These came out of nowhere and were a huge hit once they hit the market so they were really hard to come by. They had that faded finish, P90 pickups, fat neck profile, and were really cheap (for a Gibson). What made it even harder was in 2010 Tennessee was later hit with those floods and the Gibson factory lost all those guitars and stopped production while they tried to get back on their feet.

In 2010, I happened to be in Florida, so I stopped at a Guitar Centre like I always do when I'm in the US and just happened to ask if they had any cause they were kind of the flavour of the day on the Les Paul forums. They actually had one, but it was on layaway. Whatever, I didn't expect to find one anyways. As I'm leaving, the manager asks me if I would buy it if he sold it to me. Hell yeah, that's why I asked. The guy who had it on layaway only put $50 on it and it had been sitting there for months. Scores! I really wanted the Goldtop, but the Honey Burst was still really nice. I'll end up with a Goldtop some day.

50sTribute.jpg

My strat was a cheap pickup I got from a kid on Kijiji. I just wanted something I could strip down to the bare body and build back up. Here's the finished product.

project_strat_20100925_0002.jpg

I don't think I have any pictures of my Chameleon. I just bought it cause it looked cool haha

Those are some awesome guitars UC. That 50's tribute is really cool. I also like that you added a Bigsby Bridge to your Epi. My Swingster has one as well:

xl_89694-tmpA193.jpg

I think they just look awesome, although I find they are pretty temperamental and it makes replacing the strings a PITA.

I was looking at maybe getting BurstBuckers on my Gibson, it has 490 Humbuckers stock, wasn't sure if it was worth switching them out or not, as I know the BurstBuckers have a little bit more of a classic sound, where as the 490 have a little more of a modern sound.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Yeah, I play one or two or three or four or five instruments. But you already knew that. ;)

My band just finished recording my second CD.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Those are some awesome guitars UC. That 50's tribute is really cool. I also like that you added a Bigsby Bridge to your Epi. My Swingster has one as well:

xl_89694-tmpA193.jpg

I think they just look awesome, although I find they are pretty temperamental and it makes replacing the strings a PITA.

I was looking at maybe getting BurstBuckers on my Gibson, it has 490 Humbuckers stock, wasn't sure if it was worth switching them out or not, as I know the BurstBuckers have a little bit more of a classic sound, where as the 490 have a little more of a modern sound.

That's pretty sweet!

Apparently we have been friends too long :laugh:

:laugh:

Yeah, I play one or two or three or four or five instruments. But you already knew that. ;)

My band just finished recording my second CD.

That's awesome AS!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I finally gave it a listening to on Spotify and while I've only gone through it once and might need a few more rotations, nothing's really jumping out me as really catchy. It made me want to listen to Black Trash again though.

It's not as good as their classic stuff, but I just like the classic grimey ONYX sound. I also dig the production of Snowgoons. Their boy Snake the Rapper also has a pretty solid beef with Madchild

herashak

Mar 24, 2013

intro lasts for about a minute

Some classic Prodigy solo stuff. Probably in my top 5 favourite rappers all time. Mobb, Onyx and M.O.P are probably the trifecta of Grimy NY rap groups.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
Wow. Nice guitars guys. I've always wanted a Les Paul, but couldn't afford it. Now that I have the money, I can't justify it. I just played for fun and I just don't play like I used to. My first guitar that I still own is one of these 80s Aria guitars.
dxeogwguja61h5upgaig.jpg

I also own a Fender strat sunburst from 99 I think.
xl_83991-tmpDDE7.jpg

And an Epiphone acoustic from about the same time that's this model but with an internal pickup.
1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-9beeae9e023e455091a1ba22745b53b4.jpg

I have a 2 year old son that had never seen me play before and I pulled out my acoustic one day a couple months back and played him some stuff. I think I almost made his little mind explode because he had no idea dad could play the gutiar. It was actually pretty hilarious. Current house also has no room to properly set everything up. Next home will have a proper set up and not have everything jammed in a closet.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So kind of music related. I decided when I move, I am going to get 12"x12" canvas prints of some favorite album covers (both favorite in terms of artwork and just loving the album). However I am drawing a blank some classic covers that were really dope.

So far I know I will get:

Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle & Koolaid
OutKast - ATLiens
Dr. Dre - The Chronic & 2001
Kurupt - Kuruption!
Nate Dogg - G Funk Classics
Warren G - Regulate
Eminem - Slim Shady LP
Makaveli - The Don Killuminati
Thug Life - Volume 1
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang
Method Man - Tical & 4:21
Wu-Massacre
GZA - Liquid Swords
Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep
DMX - Flesh of my Flesh, Blood of my Blood
Brotha Lynch Hung - Coathanga Strangla
ONYX - Shotgunz in Hell
Stevie Stone - Level Up

I'd like to get up to 50 of them so I can swap them out for a change and/or have them in multiple rooms.

I will also be getting 4 Flames ones (Black logo, current red logo, vintage red logo and white logo), will also be getting both classic autobots and decepticon logos, possibly ones of Optimus Prime and Megatron too.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The Bobby Digital Cover is up there for me. Too Short would be a good one. I know you aren't a Biggie fan, but Ready to Die is one of the most famous Hip Hop covers of all time. Dog Food might be another good one for you.

And lastly, Ice Ice Baby.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
So kind of music related. I decided when I move, I am going to get 12"x12" canvas prints of some favorite album covers (both favorite in terms of artwork and just loving the album). However I am drawing a blank some classic covers that were really dope.

You got some good album covers on there. If it were me, ODB's Return to the 36 Chambers would be on there too.

How about The Predator?

Ice_Cube_-_The_Predator_-_Album_Cover.jpg

How about finding covers for singles you like?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad