OT: Music Sharing Thread 2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
View attachment 775414

January 2024 @ scotiabank theatre west Ed

If you are like me and have not seen the original Queen live I would suggest going.

I plan on it. I do have a copy of the blu ray of the show and it’s superb, but IMAX should be da bomb.

Its one of their better recorded concerts and setlists imo.

It captures kind of a perfect time where the band is still at their musical height, and somewhat before some of the Radio gaga stuff and Its a kind of magic stuff started occurring. So that the Wembley show while better in many respects has a lot of soapy tunes I have to FF thru. This here one is more compressed set, more listens vs skips, and the Montreal show and tour had a unique and smaller Arena setup which is somehow more appealing. So that you see the whole band a lot in the footage vs a big Stadium type show.

I wish Stone Cold Crazy made the setlist for the Montreal show. One of my faves. Sheer Heart Attack album seems grossly non represented, which is a shame. Still several rockers here and the only appearance live of the funky "Dragon attack" which to me is must see.

I have 3 Queen live DVD's. Live at the Rainbow to me is the best because I always preferred earlier Queen material and its heavy on Sheer Heart Attack album being thats what the tour was. The rest of the world prefers later Queen it seems. ;)

Best cover of the song ever:

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Audio was total shit on PPV.com. Someone had like a live mike the entire f***ing show and kept hearing walkie talkie style static popping in and out.

Either way was a fun show to watch, seen the EOTR tour live quite a few times, love it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Myles Goodwyn of April Wine dead at 75 years old. Tough news, grew up with them, a soundtrack to part of my life.
Saw them a number of times. Last time being the Harder faster tour. Great band that was putting out good records for a long time.

RIP Myles. You were uniquely part of Canadiana and you had a memorable voice and for those not acquainted April wine were somewhere between The Guess Who and say Tragically Hip. The band could rock, could write music, could play any form.

ps Anybody that hasn't seen it the Canadian movie "High Life" with Rossif Sutherland and Tim Olyphant is a lot of fun and has several April Wine songs and a Max Webster song and Three Dog night thrown in. So much of a soundtrack and nice way to remember Myles while watching a good movie. Its a bit grapnic, some shootout scenes and stuff but some laughs too and an April Wine cassette is even a recurring plot device in the movie.

Oh, and when watching this movie or ever listening to April Wine "turn it up".

This movie doesn't have many friends but I just love the dark humor. Its like a Canadian version of Fargo without being much like it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Stoneman89

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Well this derrivative as f***, but I don't care.

I'm a huge Led Zeppelin fan.

Found a relatively new band that sounds exactly like classic Zep. And they're the only thing I've been listening to the last week.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Well this derrivative as f***, but I don't care.

I'm a huge Led Zeppelin fan.

Found a relatively new band that sounds exactly like classic Zep. And they're the only thing I've been listening to the last week.

My wife introduced me to these guys just around 2019/20. They are very good.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
My wife introduced me to these guys just around 2019/20. They are very good.
Their earlier stuff really seems to 1:1 copy Led Zeppelin. If I never saw him perform, I'd swear it was Robert Plant.

The later stuff starts to have more range, and I can start hearing some Zappa, Bowie, and Rush in there.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Their earlier stuff really seems to 1:1 copy Led Zeppelin. If I never saw him perform, I'd swear it was Robert Plant.

The later stuff starts to have more range, and I can start hearing some Zappa, Bowie, and Rush in there.
If you are going to rip off some of your musical influences, those are 4 pretty good ones to do so!

Edit- speaking of Rush. I just finished Geddy Lee’s new autobiography- My Effin Life. His parents were immigrants and Polish Holocaust’survivors. He spends 3 chapters on that and it certainly had a significant impact in who he is, his writings and relationships. A good read. The parts devoted to Neil Pearts’s life challenges was also very sobering.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I like this song alot. They are a Canadian power metal band. It'd be nice to see some traditional Canadian heavy metal played at hockey games but that will never happen. You have to be a platinum selling band to get played at hockey games. Anyway here it is Striker - Fight For Your Life.

Reactions: Morpheus

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Hey,

This seems to be the group of experts I am seeking...

Long story (debate at work with the team), won't bore with details...but what is the best un-requited love song you can think of?

Genre is irrelevant-we're starting to put together a playlist

First ones suggested:

-With or Without You (U2)

-Every Breath You Take (Police)

-Iris (Goo Goo Dolls)

-Bad Timing (Blue Rodeo)

-Chasing Cars (Snow Patrol)

I realize these are not the taste of the majority of this thread--which is good. Looking to fill out the playlist.

Thanks

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Hey,

Long story (debate at work with the team), won't bore with details...but what is the best un-requited love song you can think of?

First ones suggested:

-Iris (Goo Goo Dolls)

-Bad Timing (Blue Rodeo)

I realize these are not the taste of the majority of this thread--which is good. Looking to fill out the playlist.

Thanks
here are three rock genre love songs that drive me crazy…not sure if they meet the definition of unrequited, but your welcome!
Faithfully - Journey
I Don’t want to miss a thing - Aerosmith
More Than Words - Extreme

and just for shits and giggles, I think this one does meet the definition (and is somewhat misogynistic).
I was made for Loving you - Kiss

;)

Reactions: Bobieque

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hey,

First ones suggested:

-Iris (Goo Goo Dolls)

-Bad Timing (Blue Rodeo)

Thanks
I would say this one but I'm biased:

Couple others:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobieque

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Hey,

First ones suggested:

-Iris (Goo Goo Dolls)

-Bad Timing (Blue Rodeo)

Thanks
Kinda ...

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad