OT: Music Sharing Thread 2

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
A few more. I'm full of these:

Way,way off topic and only 3 or 4 are going to get this, but I always remember the parody of that Left Banke tune from the 1970s when Rene Levesque (not sure if he was mayor or premier at the time) ran over the vagrant with his government issued sedan…(and sadly the guy died from his injuries).

”don’t drive away Rene, you won’t see me underneath your car, don’t drive away….”not sure who parodied it, maybe MacLean and MacLean.

I’m sure Lévesque was “full” at the time, as they say…

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Way,way off topic and only 3 or 4 are going to get this, but I always remember the parody of that Left Banke tune from the 1970s when Rene Levesque (not sure if he was mayor or premier at the time) ran over the vagrant with his government issued sedan…(and sadly the guy died from his injuries).

”don’t drive away Rene, you won’t see me underneath your car, don’t drive away….”not sure who parodied it, maybe MacLean and MacLean.

Totally forgot about that one till you mentioned it. Thanks friend. I liked the Left banke song though. Remember walking to school in 67 with all these songs in my head and listening to them most of the day while bored at at school. Back in the day you didn't need ipods or players or anything. Your mind contained every song you loved and you'd just press play in your head. hehe.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Good one.:D

I still remember MacLean and MacLean signing,

" All day all night Maryann...all day all night Maryann. All day all night Maryann. Who do you think I am, Superman?!"

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Good one.:D

I still remember MacLean and MacLean signing,

" All day all night Maryann...all day all night Maryann. All day all night Maryann. Who do you think I am, Superman?!"
So many things I grew up with, comedy acts, movies, wouldn’t see the light of day in this current worldview. Not to mention the freedom I had as a very young child. Say bye to mom at 8, show up for lunch maybe, (or eat at some friends house and not even bother to phone mom and let her know and she didn’t care or was concerned), gone again and back for supper. My bike and the world, no boundaries. I was like Dennis Hopper on a CCM 2 speed (I had a sick banana bike).

I can honestly say knowing what I see today, I’m glad I grew up when I did. I wonder if that is the same for all generations? if so, i really feel bad for today‘s adolescents.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So many things I grew up with, comedy acts, movies, wouldn’t see the light of day in this current worldview. Not to mention the freedom I had as a very young child. Say bye to mom at 8, show up for lunch maybe, (or eat at some friends house and not even bother to phone mom and let her know and she didn’t care or was concerned), gone again and back for supper. My bike and the world, no boundaries. I was like Dennis Hopper on a CCM 2 speed (I had a sick banana bike).

I can honestly say knowing what I see today, I’m glad I grew up when I did. I wonder if that is the same for all generations? if so, i really feel bad for today‘s adolescents.

Then I think of my father in law growing up in Biggar, Sk. He’d leave the house at 7 years old with a tent and a backpack and an axe and come back 3 days later.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Denny Laine, former lead singer of the original Moody Blues, and Paul McCartney's sidekick in Wings for more than a decade, has passed away.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Then I think of my father in law growing up in Biggar, Sk. He’d leave the house at 7 years old with a tent and a backpack and an axe and come back 3 days later.
Growing up in Biggar he probably hopped the rails a few times and did a few there and back train rides that he never told many about. Huge rail town.

Life was good.

Denny Laine, former lead singer of the original Moody Blues, and Paul McCartney's sidekick in Wings for more than a decade, has passed away.
I’m glad he made the RRHOF. Member of 2 huge, influential bands. Deserved the honour. RIP.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This was reported earlier in the thread. Really liked his playing and singing. Wings wouldn't be the same without him and he brought so much to the group. Rockshow to me is a must watch. I loved the Moody Blues as well.

Perhaps best about Denny Laine is that he could have considered himself a superstar, could have made a big deal about himself all the time, and he was not like that at all. He was a top musician of the time without the big ego.

I wish that in the last couple decades there were more Denny Laines and less Slash and Axl Rose type egos.

RIP Denny Laine. you were great.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This was reported earlier in the thread. Really liked his playing and singing. Wings wouldn't be the same without him and he brought so much to the group. Rockshow to me is a must watch. I loved the Moody Blues as well.

Perhaps best about Denny Laine is that he could have considered himself a superstar, could have made a big deal about himself all the time, and he was not like that at all. He was a top musician of the time without the big ego.

I wish that in the last couple decades there were more Denny Laines and less Slash and Axl Rose type egos.

RIP Denny Laine. you were great.
Missed the earlier report. I always thought he was always that loyal and trusted dog to the McCartneys and stayed with them from inception all the way through to the end of Wings. According to the article, it sounds like there might have been a bit of a falling out with Sir Paul in later years, but it appeared they mended some fences later. He really was the perfect foil to McCartney during their time together. Paul had total control and wrote and arranged nearly all the songs, but Denny was okay with that, and was perfectly content to realize he was in the company of a legend, and got his songs in where he could.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Indeed he did and worked his entire life for CN!
Lol!! Lots of good people from Biggar. A couple of my friends where I live are retired CN rail men from Biggar also. A lot of Biggar people retired early with their decent union pensions and moved to the lake to live out their retirement, hunting and fishing etc.. That life was a work hard/play even harder lifestyle for sure.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Folks

I’ll be cheering quietly tonight and trying to catch updates via phone as I’m going to see Billy Joel and Stevie Nicks at Chase Field (gotta keep Mrs Brent happy ;) ).

In the meantime how about this blast from the past for some mean harmonica…

Go Oil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Folks

I’ll be cheering quietly tonight and trying to catch updates via phone as I’m going to see Billy Joel and Stevie Nicks at Chase Field (gotta keep Mrs Brent happy ;) ).

Go Oil

Love the vid! Have fun tonight, old timer! I'm jealous!

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Folks

Go Oil

Have a blast!

Billy Joel always puts on a great show.

And if you run into the guitar tech roadie ‘Chainsaw’….tell him hello from YEG for me.

I worked under him as a local crew setting up and taking down the stage maybe 12 years ago or so and he sang this tune:

Reactions: Stoneman89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad