OT: Music Sharing Thread 2

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ok music fans. My 16 year stepson has never been to a concert. We had plans to go to The Offspring a few years ago in Red Deer, but it was cancelled because of the Rona. Anyway. He has his heart set on concert tickets as a Christmas gift. I was thinking about Metallica tickets - his taste in music has gotten quite heavy in the past two years. His favourite bands are Iron Maiden, Sabaton, and a bunch of new power metal type bands that I don't know. Anyway. Any recommendations other than Metallica next year in Edmonton for a young metalheads first show? Must be all ages, which is the hard part I think. I would consider the Ministry show, but it's 18+.

Thanks everyone!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Ok music fans. My 16 year stepson has never been to a concert. We had plans to go to The Offspring a few years ago in Red Deer, but it was cancelled because of the Rona. Anyway. He has his heart set on concert tickets as a Christmas gift. I was thinking about Metallica tickets - his taste in music has gotten quite heavy in the past two years. His favourite bands are Iron Maiden, Sabaton, and a bunch of new power metal type bands that I don't know. Anyway. Any recommendations other than Metallica next year in Edmonton for a young metalheads first show? Must be all ages, which is the hard part I think. I would consider the Ministry show, but it's 18+.

Thanks everyone!

Your son has impeccable taste in music.

The show to have gotten him tickets for was KISS as that is an absolute giant of a rock and roll show by the band that invented the massive stage show. There is still time to get to Winnipeg although you'll have to drive because Ive heard they have no airport.

Metallica would be a good one but it's in Commonwealth which absolutely sucks as a venue.

Iron Maiden is touring again next fall but not coming to Edmonton but I would try to get him to one of those shows if you can.

Sabaton will be touring next year but their North America show is a fraction of their European shows. If they come to Edmonton they usually play at the old Goose Loonies which also sucks as a venue. I saw them there and in Calgary for a show in a much better venue there.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Your son has impeccable taste in music.

The show to have gotten him tickets for was KISS as that is an absolute giant of a rock and roll show by the band that invented the massive stage show. There is still time to get to Winnipeg although you'll have to drive because Ive heard they have no airport.

Metallica would be a good one but it's in Commonwealth which absolutely sucks as a venue.

Iron Maiden is touring again next fall but not coming to Edmonton but I would try to get him to one of those shows if you can.

Sabaton will be touring next year but their North America show is a fraction of their European shows. If they come to Edmonton they usually play at the old Goose Loonies which also sucks as a venue. I saw them there and in Calgary for a show in a much better venue there.
He does have impeccable taste in music. Even the stuff I hear that I don't know I enjoy. Ghost is another one we both enjoy listening too, although I wouldn't call them metal at all, ha ha.

We saw the Sabaton and Judas Priest schedule. He is devastated that we can't catch that one, but heading out to the Eastern US for one of those shows just isn't in the cards. We're hoping the extend the NA tour after their Priest schedule is done so they can come out west, but not holding our breath.

I'm thinking we will end up getting him Metallica tickets. I mean, they aren't what they used to be, but they're still among the GOAT rock bands.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
seeing what my kids are seeing on TikTok, and learned this tune...quite easy, but quite fun to play.
actually a pretty bad ass riff!

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

Thanks everyone!

Not many metal shows booked atm. IMO you can't go wrong with the Friday Metallica/Pantera(plus seeing another legend in Zakk Wylde) show unless he's already progressed to an elitist phase lol.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Than
Not many metal shows booked atm. IMO you can't go wrong with the Friday Metallica/Pantera(plus seeing another legend in Zakk Wylde) show unless he's already progressed to an elitist phase lol.
Thanks. I think we'll go with Metallica. We'll flip a coin for the day, he likes Ice Nine Kills a bit too. I just love music, so I don't care, I'll see any of them, ha ha.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Than

Thanks. I think we'll go with Metallica. We'll flip a coin for the day, he likes Ice Nine Kills a bit too. I just love music, so I don't care, I'll see any of them, ha ha.

If you can see the show with the opening with Enter Sandman, considered to be one of the best if not the best show opening songs of all time.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If you can see the show with the opening with Enter Sandman, considered to be one of the best if not the best show opening songs of all time.

This ones on my alltime list. Rattle the speakers. Atmosphere like crazy. Wonder what it felt like to be there or on the stage. It was a chaotic, but exciting time where people felt they finally would have some freedom and a better life. Sad what come of it but respect to bands like Metallica that were bringing the best of the west over there for people to see what western world affiliation can be like.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
IMG_3950.jpeg

January 2024 @ scotiabank theatre west Ed

If you are like me and have not seen the original Queen live I would suggest going.

I plan on it. I do have a copy of the blu ray of the show and it’s superb, but IMAX should be da bomb.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
View attachment 775414

January 2024 @ scotiabank theatre west Ed

If you are like me and have not seen the original Queen live I would suggest going.

I plan on it. I do have a copy of the blu ray of the show and it’s superb, but IMAX should be da bomb.

Thanks for the heads upon this. I just bought 2 seats for Jan 18 to the imax here in North Phoenix.

Stoked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morpheus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad