Speculation: MTL scouting the Islanders?

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
I would not do this deal if I'm Snow. We already have several good goalie prospects, Pacioretty is already 28 and not in JT's stratosphere, Galchenyuk is unproven, and Juulsen just broke his foot and may never be the same. We also have enough high draft picks.

Man. I really don’t know how to respond to that other than say nice profile pic . Tbh I think you’re really underrating Max Pacioretty. The guy kills penalties and scores minimum 30 goals every year. Chucky needs a reboot. He too is a 30 his scorer and will be one again if he’s put in an easier situation and Noah juulsen is an absolute stud. Plus an unprotected first on top of that. I dunno man. There are habs fans that would question if I was dropped as a kid for proposing that but I know he only way to get Tavares is to overpay and this is definitely and overpayment. I think the most underrated of the whole package is Noah juulsen. If you seen him in the world juniors he was a beast for them. A broken foot is not going to derail his career. It creates massive holes for us and we’d have to give Tavares more than price because of the crazy taxes. I dunno man. I think it’s a pretty outstanding offer. I couldn’t se any team realistically offering more than that. But JT is your guy. I’m sure preference is to keep him at all costs anyways cheers man

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I’m glad other fans get it too. I am a die hard habs fan and I loved Subban but I do that trade again 11 times out of 10. I am so thrilled with Weber’s play. He gets caught once and awhile but no more than any one else and the physicality and shot he brings is second to none. So smart and efficient. Sorry to say but he won’t be leaving Montreal anytime soon lol. Thanks for the props tho. Appreciated.

Also I think like everyone else teams are circling like vultures awaiting some clarity on the JT situation. Personally. I would give you guys Pacioretty galchenyuk, juulsen and our 1st (unprotected) If that could get us a signed John Tavares

We also have two very good goalie prospects in Charlie Lindgren and Michael McNiven(OHL goalie of the year) which id part with and I’d probly even add another pick

Please tell me what you think isles fans
I have little interest in Galenchuk a key piece to a Tavares trade.Habs GM and coaches are soured on him because he will not or cannot play a 200 ft game. Isles coaches would be just as demanding.
And the Habs prospect pool has to be one of the least impressive in the league.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I am not afraid to pull the trigger on a high end player, but for the cost it would taker to acquire Weber, there must be a player who is younger and on a better contract at the same skill level. The trade just would not make sense for either team.

If a guy like Weber is available, you have to explore it, I don't think he is available, but to get a player like that on defense would simply push the Isles from the borderline of playoffs to Cup contender with long term benefits..

1. JT sees commitment to winning, you take the pressure off of him, helps JT sign longterm
2. Weber won't be bad until the very end of the contract and you hope he has brought 2 Stanley cups to belmont by then,
3. He is a top pairing guy moves Boychuck to 2nd pairing, instantly gives us a power play weapon
4. Tougher player that is probably the strongest player in the league, will prevent cheap shots with him on the ice

If the price was Beau, CDH, Pulock, 2 first rounders and Kulemin you take it,

Lee/JT/Eberle
Nelson/Barzal/JHS
Ladd/Cizikas/Bailey
Chimera/Quine/Clutter

Bench: Gionta and Bernier

Leddy/Weber
Pelech/Boychuk
Hickey/Mayfield

Bench: Seidenberg

#1 dmen are hard to come by, you give up the ranch for that type of player.... but this is fantasyland. Weber is not avail.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If a guy like Weber is available, you have to explore it, I don't think he is available, but to get a player like that on defense would simply push the Isles from the borderline of playoffs to Cup contender with long term benefits..

1. JT sees commitment to winning, you take the pressure off of him, helps JT sign longterm
2. Weber won't be bad until the very end of the contract and you hope he has brought 2 Stanley cups to belmont by then,
3. He is a top pairing guy moves Boychuck to 2nd pairing, instantly gives us a power play weapon
4. Tougher player that is probably the strongest player in the league, will prevent cheap shots with him on the ice

Lee/JT/Eberle
Nelson/Barzal/JHS
Ladd/Cizikas/Bailey
Chimera/Quine/Clutter

Leddy/Weber
Pelech/Boychuk
Hickey/Mayfield

#1 dmen are hard to come by, you give up the ranch for that type of player.... but this is fantasyland. Weber is not avail.
I think the isles might have broken open the bank in terms of salary and young talent given up, for 20 something yr old Subban on a long-term deal.
I have my doubts they do the same for 32 year old Weber with 7 or 8 years left on his deal.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
[QUOTE="webersshot, post: 136701561,

#1 dmen are hard to come by, you give up the ranch for that type of player.... but this is fantasyland. Weber is not avail.[/QUOTE]
I would be ok giving up quite a bit for a Jones /OEL. A young , blue line stud.
I am not as interested in breaking the bank for a 32 year old Weber.

Reactions: dood

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here

Lee/JT/Eberle
Nelson/Barzal/JHS
Ladd/Cizikas/Bailey
Chimera/Quine/Clutter

Leddy/Weber
Pelech/Boychuk
Hickey/Mayfield

Beau, CDH, Pulock, 2 first rounders and Kulemin for Weber would instantly be the worst trade Snow has ever made.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Beau, CDH, Pulock, 2 first rounders and Kulemin for Weber would instantly be the worst trade Snow has ever made.

How would that be a bad trade, Weber gets us 2 Cups in 5 years, keeps JT in uniform, attracts other UFA's, takes us to the promised land

Kulemin and CDH are gone after this season, they are salary dumps for this trade
Beau and Pulock are wildcards but you have to give to get and 2 first rounders, are wildcards

If Pulock becomes a 40 point scorer and one of this first round picks develops into a top 6 forward, while Beau and the other first rounder bust, it would be a fair trade to a rebuilding team.

That would be a cup run move, elite dmen do not grow on trees, there are only a handful in the league and very teams with an elite forward and elite dman, we start having a Chicago feel with Weber,

Of course though it is fantasyland because Weber won't be dealt

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
In the preseason, Habs fans were discussing Weber.Most of those who posted felt he had a good 2016-2017 season. What do fans expect from the 32 yr old over the next 8 seasons?
Are you trading more for the rep or what you expect to be a #1 workhorse?

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
In the preseason, Habs fans were discussing Weber.Most of those who posted felt he had a good 2016-2017 season. What do fans expect from the 32 yr old over the next 8 seasons?
Are you trading more for the rep or what you expect to be a #1 workhorse?

You'd be trading for a man that would be the 2nd best dman to put on the blue and orange and he would probably not start to fade until year 5, after we win 2 cups.... When JT, Ladd and Weber are at the end of their contracts and we have no great prospects in 5-6 years, we will probably be awful, but I would rather have a shot at the Cup a few times over the next 5 years at this point.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Clearly Weber is not available. But hypothetically speaking, I don't think the Isles could sustain a lineup with Weber's contract without one of their larger contracts going the other way (Boychuk, Ladd or Clutterbuck at the very least). This is not to suggest it's a salary dump, obviously a wealth of assets would still be needed to acquire him.

But I'm with PK Cronin who has mentioned Doughty on several posts. If the Isles get their home in order (Belmont, sign Tavares); by then Doughty might become a possibility. He is an UFA in two years and much of his decision will come down to where the Kings are this year. If he becomes available, he is the kind of player you drop a ton of assets for.

With that said, LA is doing well thus far... hope that ends tonight.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Clearly Weber is not available. But hypothetically speaking, I don't think the Isles could sustain a lineup with Weber's contract without one of their larger contracts going the other way (Boychuk, Ladd or Clutterbuck at the very least). This is not to suggest it's a salary dump, obviously a wealth of assets would still be needed to acquire him.

But I'm with PK Cronin who has mentioned Doughty on several posts. If the Isles get their home in order (Belmont, sign Tavares); by then Doughty might become a possibility. He is an UFA in two years and much of his decision will come down to where the Kings are this year. If he becomes available, he is the kind of player you drop a ton of assets for.

With that said, LA is doing well thus far... hope that ends tonight.

LA is an elite team as long as Quick is healthy, Doughty will be an LA lifer... very hard to get a #1 dman in this league.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You'd be trading for a man that would be the 2nd best dman to put on the blue and orange and he would probably not start to fade until year 5, after we win 2 cups.... When JT, Ladd and Weber are at the end of their contracts and we have no great prospects in 5-6 years, we will probably be awful, but I would rather have a shot at the Cup a few times over the next 5 years at this point.
2 cups and beast play for 5 of the next 8 years?
Last year he was good,not great.I think at this point you will get good not great. I could not care less about his rep/ previous seasons.

Reactions: Svengoolie

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
LA is an elite team as long as Quick is healthy, Doughty will be an LA lifer... very hard to get a #1 dman in this league.
Doughty has already told the press he is only interested in winning cups , that if LA is going to under go some sort of long rebuild that he will leave.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Doughty has already told the press he is only interested in winning cups , that if LA is going to under go some sort of long rebuild that he will leave.
LA is not going to be going through a rebuild, they will add bigger names, I see no valley for them as long as they have Doughty, Quick, Kopitar, Toffoli, Pearson, Carter etc.....

Could also be a JT destination

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
No, bringing Weber hear means, the time is now for a Stanley Cup... bringing Eberle here means we got a guy who can play guitar riffs in the locker room.

Great! Do I need to panic if he and Tavares start perfecting Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Freebird?"

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
2 cups and beast play for 5 of the next 8 years?
Last year he was good,not great.I think at this point you will get good not great. I could not care less about his rep/ previous seasons.

I would say he makes the team instantly better and the players around him that much better. Montreal missed the playoffs in 2015/2016 (as of all of Canada) and then made it with Weber in 2016/17. He is top 5 in the league at defense and a workout freak, he is very much like Chara in that sense. Chara won a cup around the same age as Weber is now or so. If you were to turn the Isles into a jigsaw puzzle and then Weber into a jigsaw piece, maybe outside of unattainable players (Karlsson, Subban etc..), Weber fits almost perfectly. Still would have minor holes, fighting and shootout issues.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
LA is not going to be going through a rebuild, they will add bigger names, I see no valley for them as long as they have Doughty, Quick, Kopitar, Toffoli, Pearson, Carter etc.....

Could also be a JT destination
Kings have a few large, long-term albatross contracts,an aging roster and not much of a prospect pool.
If a rebuild was not a real possibility, then we would not have Doughty warning he is not hanging around for a rebuild.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I would say he makes the team instantly better and the players around him that much better. Montreal missed the playoffs in 2015/2016 (as of all of Canada) and then made it with Weber in 2016/17. He is top 5 in the league at defense and a workout freak, he is very much like Chara in that sense. Chara won a cup around the same age as Weber is now or so. If you were to turn the Isles into a jigsaw puzzle and then Weber into a jigsaw piece, maybe outside of unattainable players (Karlsson, Subban etc..), Weber fits almost perfectly. Still would have minor holes, fighting and shootout issues.
I pointed out that in a preseason discussion Habs fans said Weber had a good 2016-2017.
At 32, with 8 more seasons and an $8m cap hit ,I expect several more good, not great seasons.
Not interested in overpaying badly for Weber to get several good, not great seasons.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Kings have a few large, long-term albatross contracts,an aging roster and not much of a prospect pool.
If a rebuild was not a real possibility, then we would not have Doughty warning he is not hanging around for a rebuild.

That is just a message to management to bring in some talent, they have a few stinky contracts for sure, Dustin Brown may have the worst deal out there, but the formula LA used to win 2 cups is the same as Chicago and Pitt, have a few megastars and fill in with role players... if JT signed with LA I think Doughty is signing in blood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad