Speculation: MTL scouting the Islanders?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The Islanders are going to likely have another logjam to solve on defense next offseason with Aho and Toews (and possibly even Wotherspoon). Then there is another wave of young D coming through the pipeline they will have to make decisions on within the few years that follow. Right now there's a premium on top 4 defensemen. I believe with Pelech and Mayfeild showing they can play (and will do so combined for the next 4+ years what CDH will get on his own), smart asset management would be to trade CDH for whoever comes knocking with the most/highest picks in 2018. Because of what I just said, what I posted a few posts up, and because of this.....

(everything below is my speculation)
I foresee a market change coming in the very near future. The game is changing, and shot blocking defensive D are going to plummet in value similar to the way goaltenders did 5-10 years ago. The game is moving toward mobile puck moving D..... it's less about protecting your zone and more about using puck possession (offense) as a defensive tool. Getting the puck out of your zone to your forwards on offense ASAP, then joining the rush and supporting the forwards in the offensive zone. More Nick Leddy, less Travis Hamonic and Johnny Boychuk.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Don’t think this isn’t the right thread to ask but since we’re on the topic of defenseman, are there any notable free agents after the season? I could see Snow moving someone like CDH/Hickey and let the other one along with Seidenberg go at the end of the year, then sign a top four d-man in the offseason and roll with Leddy, Boychuk, Pelech, Mayfield, and Toews as the other five. Would be a pretty inexperienced blue line but depending on who we bring in it wouldn’t look too bad.

https://capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2019/caphit/all/defense/ufa

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4