Speculation: MTL scouting the Islanders?

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Shea Weber is old, his contract is awful, and Montreal wouldn’t get rid of him unless it was an overpayment.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
6th in voting last year and three of the five ahead of him are OLDER.

And? He's a big name playing in Montreal, it's not surprising. There are more than 6 defensemen I'd take over him and his current age isn't the issue, it's that he's unmovable later on.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
And? He's a big name playing in Montreal, it's not surprising. There are more than 6 defensemen I'd take over him and his current age isn't the issue, it's that he's unmovable later on.

Here we go again, afraid to do something to win NOW. Constant theme on HF for too many years. Tell me you wouldn't trade a few Cups for someone who might or might not retire in time. He's 31, not 36. This league is a win now league, this Board is not.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Here we go again, afraid to do something to win NOW. Constant theme on HF for too many years. Tell me you wouldn't trade a few Cups for someone who might or might not retire in time. He's 31, not 36. This league is a win now league, this Board is not.

I'd rather pay the price it'd cost to get Weber on someone else. It's going to require an over-payment, why not pay for someone who is younger and won't cripple the franchise at the end of their career? Give me Doughty, Karlsson, Hedman, OEL, Burns, Byfuglien, Josi, Pietrangelo, Jones, McDonagh, Subban, you know, good defenseman who would make a difference but aren't signed until the end of time?

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
This team isn't in win now mode. It's in the shitty mediocre area where the older guys need to win now and the younger guys need time to develop. This happened because Snow is too incompetent to draft high end talent and Capuano was too incompetent to develop any high end talent. Since Tavares was drafted we haven't hit on anyone that will make a large impact on the ice. Nino, Nelson, Strome, Reinhart, Pulock, Dal Colle, Ho-Sang, Barzal, Beauviller: none of them are making a large impact on this team. Some have a chance to make that impact in the future, but no one is doing that now. Acquiring Weber doesn't fix this problem.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
This team isn't in win now mode. It's in the ****ty mediocre area where the older guys need to win now and the younger guys need time to develop. This happened because Snow is too incompetent to draft high end talent and Capuano was too incompetent to develop any high end talent. Since Tavares was drafted we haven't hit on anyone that will make a large impact on the ice. Nino, Nelson, Strome, Reinhart, Pulock, Dal Colle, Ho-Sang, Barzal, Beauviller: none of them are making a large impact on this team. Some have a chance to make that impact in the future, but no one is doing that now. Acquiring Weber doesn't fix this problem.

This is why someone Shea Weber means a lot:

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/sp...33468860/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

I don't understand why so few here fail to grasp what a leader like this means. In his late 30's Messier was able to lift those around him to greater accomplishments than expected. How many players in this league do you see stories like this about? I can just see us turning down Chris Chelios at 32 years old as TOO OLD . . . as he played well over another decade. There are special players like that and he is the current NHL's version.

Read that article, from this year, very carefully all you doubters. You can take Jones or any others you mentioned. None of them get written up like this. This guy's a winner and we need another one in this locker room badly.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Shea Weber would be nice this year, next year and maybe even the year after that.

However there is a year after that
Another year after that
Another year after that
Another year after that
Another year after that
Another year after that .....

you get the point.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Shea Weber would be nice this year, next year and maybe even the year after that.

However there is a year after that
Another year after that
Another year after that
Another year after that
Another year after that
Another year after that .....

you get the point.

No, you are just assuming that. He'll be really good for many more years, he does not rely on speed. This team needs a kick ass leader in that dressing room and JT is not that type of personality.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
No, you are just assuming that. He'll be really good for many more years, he does not rely on speed. This team needs a kick ass leader in that dressing room and JT is not that type of personality.

And the game is becoming faster. Most of the top flight talent entering the league bring deadly speed. I love Weber, but not for the next decade.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/sp...33468860/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

I don't understand why so few here fail to grasp what a leader like this means. In his late 30's Messier was able to lift those around him to greater accomplishments than expected. How many players in this league do you see stories like this about? I can just see us turning down Chris Chelios at 32 years old as TOO OLD . . . as he played well over another decade. There are special players like that and he is the current NHL's version.

Read that article, from this year, very carefully all you doubters. You can take Jones or any others you mentioned. None of them get written up like this. This guy's a winner and we need another one in this locker room badly.

Nice read, but that type of thing is said about all of the elite guys who are older. I'm sure you can find something similar about Keith or Chara as well. Weber is also a big man, one who isn't very fast, and is very physical. There is only so long their bodies hold up. Who was the last big, physical defenseman like him that played well into the tail end of their careers? Chara is 40 and he hasn't been the same player for a while now (5 years?).

Messier lifted one team up and then completely wrecked another immediately after. He was also only 33 when he won his last cup with the Rangers. He didn't do anything after that point. I'm not opposed to Weber, I'm opposed to Weber on that deal.

And the game is becoming faster. Most of the top flight talent entering the league bring deadly speed. I love Weber, but not for the next decade.

Precisely. 3 years of Weber isn't worth the following 5 of him being a mediocre player with an $8 mil cap hit.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia

I’m glad other fans get it too. I am a die hard habs fan and I loved Subban but I do that trade again 11 times out of 10. I am so thrilled with Weber’s play. He gets caught once and awhile but no more than any one else and the physicality and shot he brings is second to none. So smart and efficient. Sorry to say but he won’t be leaving Montreal anytime soon lol. Thanks for the props tho. Appreciated.

Also I think like everyone else teams are circling like vultures awaiting some clarity on the JT situation. Personally. I would give you guys Pacioretty galchenyuk, juulsen and our 1st (unprotected) If that could get us a signed John Tavares

We also have two very good goalie prospects in Charlie Lindgren and Michael McNiven(OHL goalie of the year) which id part with and I’d probly even add another pick

Please tell me what you think isles fans

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I’m glad other fans get it too. I am a die hard habs fan and I loved Subban but I do that trade again 11 times out of 10. I am so thrilled with Weber’s play. He gets caught once and awhile but no more than any one else and the physicality and shot he brings is second to none. So smart and efficient. Sorry to say but he won’t be leaving Montreal anytime soon lol. Thanks for the props tho. Appreciated.

Also I think like everyone else teams are circling like vultures awaiting some clarity on the JT situation. Personally. I would give you guys Pacioretty galchenyuk, juulsen and our 1st (unprotected) If that could get us a signed John Tavares

We also have two very good goalie prospects in Charlie Lindgren and Michael McNiven(OHL goalie of the year) which id part with and I’d probly even add another pick

I would not do this deal if I'm Snow. We already have several good goalie prospects, Pacioretty is already 28 and not in JT's stratosphere, Galchenyuk is unproven, and Juulsen just broke his foot and may never be the same. We also have enough high draft picks.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

I think the value is fair, but a signed JT is going to get way more than that. It would take an overpay to get him and that doesn't really scream overpay to me. I'd have to think they'll be better offers than that. It's not horrible though. I'm guessing Snow is going to be looking for the package with the best defenseman if Tavares exits.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think Galch is about to break out. This kid is talented and probably worth a bit more than Nelson

As for Weber...the contract is big, but due to inflation, it ain't so bad. If you look at it, Weber is worth a little more than half of McDavid..that's not bad because he's worth more than that right now.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I'm guessing a certain Isles player who is 'waiting to see what direction the team is going' would be more than pleased with acquiring Weber.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Nice read, but that type of thing is said about all of the elite guys who are older. I'm sure you can find something similar about Keith or Chara as well. Weber is also a big man, one who isn't very fast, and is very physical. There is only so long their bodies hold up. Who was the last big, physical defenseman like him that played well into the tail end of their careers? Chara is 40 and he hasn't been the same player for a while now (5 years?).

Chara at age 39 had 10G/19A and was a +18 LAST YEAR
Rob Blake, at age 38 put up 10G/35A and a +15
Scott Niedermayer at age 38 put up 10G/38A
Larry Murphy at age 39 put up 10G/30A
Al Macinnis at age 40 put up 16G/52A and a +22

Shall I go on?

If the contract is the worry that's fine, we can debate that. But stop pulling fiction out to make the case. Blake certainly is a comparable.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Chara at age 39 had 10G/19A and was a +18 LAST YEAR
Rob Blake, at age 38 put up 10G/35A and a +15
Scott Niedermayer at age 38 put up 10G/38A
Larry Murphy at age 39 put up 10G/30A
Al Macinnis at age 40 put up 16G/52A and a +22

Shall I go on?

If the contract is the worry that's fine, we can debate that. But stop pulling fiction out to make the case. Blake certainly is a comparable.

So Chara is 7 points better than Dennis Seidenberg last year, and was 4 behind in the +/- column than Seidenberg. Calvin de Haan was 4 points behind Chara and was a +25. He's clearly not the same player he was when you watch him. It doesn't mean he's useless, but his leadership isn't carrying the team to victory.

I don't want Weber because of the cost to acquire, the contract he's on, and because I don't think he'll hold up later on in his career. That's what I've said the entire thread and I'm not pulling out fiction. You're making these Mark Messier comparisons and talking about his leadership ability and how that'll lead a team to victory. He hasn't even won a Stanley Cup yet (in fact the team he was on went to the cup finals after he was traded), and the only thing he's ever won is international tournaments where his team is stacked with super stars. I'll pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eberzal

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Guys I threw out Weber's name as a joke, just for something out of left field we wouldn't expect lmao I didn't expect it to be a talking point.

But I will say, having a number one defender would be huge.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Guys I threw out Weber's name as a joke, just for something out of left field we wouldn't expect lmao I didn't expect it to be a talking point.

But I will say, having a number one defender would be huge.

Sure would, unless of course we might actually have to:

1) Give someone up to get one that might one day play a Top-6 wing role
2) Assume ANY sort of risk of any nature
3) Be more worried about 2025 than 2018

But otherwise we have a good shot at acquiring one . . .

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Sure would, unless of course we might actually have to:

1) Give someone up to get one that might one day play a Top-6 wing role
2) Assume ANY sort of risk of any nature
3) Be more worried about 2025 than 2018

But otherwise we have a good shot at acquiring one . . .

I just want to re-iterate that I'm not averse to taking a risk on someone and was one of the people saying Snow should trade for Duchene. I wouldn't mind taking a risk on Doughty, who only has a year left on his deal after this one.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I don't see acquiring Weber as realistic, but I will use the Chara talk as an opportunity to mention that before last season I threw out the idea of the Isles exploring whether they could get Chara in a modified salary dump deal (leaving aside whether that was even possible!). Many posters shot down the idea because "Chara is done". He then went on to lead the Bs in ice-time and they made the playoffs. Since we did not make the playoffs, my simple deduction is that, yeah, he maybe wasn't entirely "done" and would've helped. :)

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Montreal has been interested and has been accused of tampering with JT.
Speculation is just starting and will run rampant this season.

I could be mistaken but I think there actually was tampering. Someone over there mentioned going after JT and you can't do that. Going to a game to "scout" is fine though. When they ask, just say "we'll do anything to improve our team".

As for Galchenyuk, I'm guessing they either want to do a package for JT, or if they want to get younger, something involving Tito or Barzal might interest them. I don't think this is about Weber.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I am not afraid to pull the trigger on a high end player, but for the cost it would taker to acquire Weber, there must be a player who is younger and on a better contract at the same skill level. The trade just would not make sense for either team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad