Speculation: MTL scouting the Islanders?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Canadians GM Marc Bergevin was in attendance for the islanders vs Blues.
The islanders don't play the Habs until January and the Habs don't play the blues until December.

I usually don't get too crazy with these things because teams scout each other all the time but I find it interesting that the General Manager himself was in attendance.

The Habs are supposedly not thrilled with their forward situation. Maybe they are looking to make an early season trade?

Any thoughts or ideas of what the teams could move with each other?

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York
The Habs are supposedly not thrilled with their forward situation. Maybe they are looking to make an early season trade?

Any thoughts or ideas of what the teams could move with each other?

Of the two teams, the one who will be in contention come the trade deadline is the Islanders. Montreal is on a downswing. The Isles are on an upswing.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I believe we talked to them about Galchenyuk for Hamonic, and that guy is demoted to the fourth line now.

Maybe we are looking at him?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I would LOVE to see Galchenyuk on this young isles squad, wouldn't have to pay as much as we would have to pay for Duchene either
That is because Duchene is an established ,top 6 nhl center.
Galenchuk is not an established center.Like Nelson and Ryan Strome ,he lacks a 200 ft game.
He does not have his coaches confidence to play center . One of the sillier comments from Habs fans is their GM/coaches hate Galenyuk (sp) and are responsible from his struggling.

I am meh on a Galenyuk (sp) trade.I would rather hold the trade chips until Sakic finally moves Duchene.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'm pretty meh on Galchenyuk too. Two vet coaches in a row have seen the same problems with him.

If it was a trade around Nelson and Galchenyuk, we can move Beau to center but then we are young down the middle, could be an issue. Chuck-Beau-HoSang is kinda appealing though.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I believe we talked to them about Galchenyuk for Hamonic, and that guy is demoted to the fourth line now.

Maybe we are looking at him?
Bossy reported before the season started that Montreal offered Galenyuk (sp) to the nyi and had the offer rejected .
Habs fans seem to think he can be the key piece to a Tavares, Leddy ,Duchene or DeHaan trade. I do not think he brings back any of Tavares Leddy or Duchene. Maybe De Haan at the TDL if the isles are out of the playoff race.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm pretty meh on Galchenyuk too. Two vet coaches in a row have seen the same problems with him.

If it was a trade around Nelson and Galchenyuk, we can move Beau to center but then we are young down the middle, could be an issue. Chuck-Beau-HoSang is kinda appealing though.

I have concerns about Galchenyuk as well. We've had our fair share of failed top-5 picks and so we should be concerned about what is going on with him in Montreal. I'd rather stay put and see how things go to start the season.

Garth is armed with a multitude of picks in what many are describing as a strong draft. If we go down the tubes and worst case scenario happens, our 1st is insurance. Depending on how Calgary goes, we could have a second lottery ticket.

If the Isles play well, then the trading of 1sts isn't so unpalatable to bring in an upgrade.

Re-assess at the 20-game mark or so.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
They are scouting Tavares. Let em. I hope when JT resigns we can troll TOR and MTL hard and look back at our Tavares thread and make fun of ourselves. This fan base deserves the Belmont Arena to get approved and JT to stay. Not like we are asking for a lot here. A decent arena suited for hockey that we can call home, and for our franchise player that is begging to stay to get the news he wants so he actually will stay. At least our owners are doing everything they can. I know we're all naturally pessimistic and rightfully so but we can't say they aren't putting forth the effort needed. Progress.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Maybe they are scouting Kulemin, he could be of use to the Habs, he is of no use to the Islanders and he is a c-blocker to the youth

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
How much would they ask for Weber? I'm assuming one of Beau/Pulock/Toews + 1st + Kuli/Clutter (our cap dump).

I left out Barzal and JHS because I'm assuming we'd all say no to that.

Bye Josh . . .

Come on, this is SHEA WEBER we are talking about. Ho-Sang, Pulock, ANY of our experienced bottom 6 and a 1st and a 2nd.

This makes Leddy-Boychuck our #2 pairing, puts a big time PP shooter on the point who also plays a nasty defensive game and brings another big-time leader into the locker room. He's the perfect example of being worth far beyond his statistics.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Man, I'd hate to get rid of Ho Sang when he's just scratching the surface but Shea Weber would instantly transform this team. Ho Sang, Pulock, 1st, 2nd.

Not trading Barzal, however.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
Galchenyuk would be amazing. It'll probably be Pulock and a first because this organization has clearly given up on him

Maybe they are scouting Kulemin, he could be of use to the Habs, he is of no use to the Islanders and he is a c-blocker to the youth
I'd rather Kulemin play on the 4th line than our prospects.

Unfortunately Capuano 2.0 doesn't agree

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I'd be hesitant to throw Kulemin to the curb. He's played great so far and is versatile. Guy plays his ass off every night. Good teams need a guy like him, that can slot in up and down the lineup.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Bye Josh . . .

Come on, this is SHEA WEBER we are talking about. Ho-Sang, Pulock, ANY of our experienced bottom 6 and a 1st and a 2nd.

This makes Leddy-Boychuck our #2 pairing, puts a big time PP shooter on the point who also plays a nasty defensive game and brings another big-time leader into the locker room. He's the perfect example of being worth far beyond his statistics.

Never happen. Can you imagine the backlash in Montreal?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Bye Josh . . .

A Shea Weber that is signed to nearly $8 million per year for the next eight years. He's 32 and is past his Norris days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad