Confirmed Trade: [MTL/PIT/SJS] Karlsson, Pitlick, Hamaliuk, SJS'26 3rd to PIT; Granlund, Hoffman, Rutta, PIT'24 1st to SJS; Petry, DeSmith, Legare, PIT'25 2nd to MTL

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pens are in no mans land.

Not a contender, no assets to build a contender and absolutely nothing for future.

Going to enjoy that
This is akin to a 25yo slave wagie in a cubical looking at the recently retired boomer who going to get into consulting because he's already made millions and saying: I'm young and my work trajectory is much better than his!

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Pens were already as all-in as a team can be so **** it, might as well.

Seems like they barely had to give up much for EK so I like it for them.

Don't think there's much negative to say about this from a Pitts POV but I guess what would scare me a bit is you got 82 games out of Crosby and Malkin last year and still missed the playoffs.

Getting those two that healthy two seasons in a row + EK not regressing to where he was 2 seasons ago (and staying healthy himself) + Jarry staying healthy + Letang staying healthy is a lot of things that need to go right.
Missed the playoffs because the bottom 6 were absolutely trash. Doesn’t really change much if the bottom 6 doesn’t improve whether they are there or not.

Crosby was still one of the best creators in the entire league and Malkin was still doing his thing. Obviously yeah you want them healthy because the team is better. But if they get the same production out of the bottom 6 this year, it doesn’t matter if they are there or not. They aren’t making the playoffs.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yes because over the tenure of his career he has been more injury "prone" than players in hockey. It's a tough sport guys are going to miss games.

It's not like his injuries are more prevalent than any other player in the league and a common reoccurrence.

Sour grapes

You know aside from last season Karlsson has never played 60 games since he was the captain of Ottawa.

There’s lots of swords you can die on, claiming he’s not injury prone is a strange one.

Reactions: Oddbob and JKG33

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
They're almost certainly a wildcard team now though, which is the goal here. They want to give Sid a playoff roster to make a push in the playoffs. Regardless of the future complications, this allows them to likely achieve their goal.

Anything can happen if you make the playoffs. Bob went from a sieve to leading his team to a cup final.

This helps the penguins chances at playoffs. They are a better team now than when the season ended.

Excluded Jakes injury

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Oh man - if Dubas was still with the Leafs wonder if he pulls this off. I genuinly thought Karlsson was our missing piece, but then we added domi, klingberg, bertuzzi :s

Good for pens

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Lmao AND it's top 10 protected ? I feel like this is a fireable offence for Grier. Just horrendous.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It’s funny that everyone here thinks the Sharks lost while we’re celebrating on our board.

Retaining so little is INSANE for us. Granlund and Hoffman will be flipped at the deadline and the fact that we got a 1st for so little retainment is truly bananas. I love Karlsson and defended him but last summer we would have had to retain 40% and give a 1st. This is sort of a miracle move by Grier. Particularly when none of the Penguins prospects really excited me.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Sum-up for each team:

Pittburgh gives up: PIT 1st 2024 (top-10 protected), PIT 2nd 2025, Mikael Granlund, Jeff Petry ($1.56m retained), Jan Rutta, Casey DeSmith, Nathan Legare
Pittsburgh receives: Erik Karlsson (@$10m), Rem Pitlick, Dillon Hamaliuk, SJS 3rd 2026

San Jose gives up: Erik Karlsson ($1.5m retained), Dillon Hamalik, SJS 3rd 2026
San Jose receives: PIT 1st 2024 (top-10 protected), Mikael Granlund, Mike Hoffman, Jan Rutta

Montreal gives up: Mike Hoffman, Rem Pitlick
Montreal receives: PIT 2nd 2025, Jeff Petry (@$4.69m), Casey DeSmith, Nathan Legare

My impression: Montreal makes out like bandits.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
They'll get a mid first pick. Likely can get some value for Ruuta now and Granlund at the TDL. I don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be.
Relies on the old "flip players for something good trope". Sharks win due to the fact they moved that contract and took only bad contracts for a year or two. Pens actually shed money on the deal short term

Reactions: Bartcal

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It’s funny that everyone here thinks the Sharks lost while we’re celebrating on our board.

Retaining so little is INSANE for us. Granlund and Hoffman will be flipped at the deadline and the fact that we got a 1st for so little retainment is truly bananas. I love Karlsson and defended him but last summer we would have had to retain 40% and give a 1st. This is sort of a miracle move by Grier. Particularly when none of the Penguins prospects really excited me.

Yeah this trade is a win-win-win. I don't see how any of the teams involved should be upset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad