Confirmed Trade: [MTL/PIT/SJS] Karlsson, Pitlick, Hamaliuk, SJS'26 3rd to PIT; Granlund, Hoffman, Rutta, PIT'24 1st to SJS; Petry, DeSmith, Legare, PIT'25 2nd to MTL

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
What the hell is San Jose doing, absolutely robbery by Dubas. But also, Crosby 35, Geno 37, Letang 36, EK 33
They're almost certainly a wildcard team now though, which is the goal here. They want to give Sid a playoff roster to make a push in the playoffs. Regardless of the future complications, this allows them to likely achieve their goal.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Sharks had to take 2 cap dumps in Hoffman and Granland. Obviously the Sharks will try to flip them at the deadline. The first is the key.. But I do not see the top level prospect heading to the sharks that most claimed. My guess. WIth almost no retention, Sharks were not getting as much as they hoped

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Where are all these conditions? I see nothing?
Might have to go outside of HF to see all the conditions.

PIT receives: D Erik Karlsson, F Rem Pitlick, F Dillion Hamaliuk, 2026 third-round pick (SJS)

SJS receives: 2024 first-round pick (PIT, top-ten protected), F Mikael Granlund, D Jan Rutta, F Mike Hoffman

MTL receives:
2025 second-round pick (PIT), D Jeff Petry, G Casey DeSmith, F Nathan Legare

San Jose is retaining $1.5MM of Karlsson’s $11.5MM cap hit through 2026-27.

Montreal is retaining no salary on Karlsson in this trade, meaning the Penguins have Karlsson at a massive $10MM cap hit for four more seasons.

Pittsburgh also retains $1.5625MM, or 25%, of Petry’s cap hit. Montreal will have him at a cap hit of $4.6875MM through 2025.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
To the non pens fans bitching about the pens hurting their rebuild…

what really hurt the rebuild?
in reality it was two picks during the years they aren’t focused on rebuilding, one meh prospect in legare, and smith (who I did like, but Sullivan was never going to give him a shot)

and they got to dump multiple hextall signings who either didn’t work out in petry and granlund, and rutta who was too hurt to show if he fit or not.

yeah EK isn’t going to hit 90pts again, but he’s shockingly a better fit than the guys who were moved out, given Sullivan wants fast mobile puck movers, and it opened up cap space somehow.

they just missed the playoffs by one game due to hextall being a shit gm And jarry being hurt. The top six was stupidly productive, and pretty much comes back unchanged. Jarry supposedly has been diagnosed with whatever was wrong with him and has a treatment plan in place to correct his issues, and they re-tooled the bottom six to better fit the coaches play style, as long as carter is benched.

you don’t waste Sid Geno and letangs last years by giving up and rebuilding, especially when letting and milking took hometown discounts to stay.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
He claims he isn’t injury prone while describing an injury prone player.

That was funny to read.

Aside from last season, he’s never played 60 game since leaving Ottawa. What’s the anomaly, the one season he wasn’t injured or the 4 prior seasons he was?
Yes because over the tenure of his career he has been more injury "prone" than players in hockey. It's a tough sport guys are going to miss games.

It's not like his injuries are more prevalent than any other player in the league and a common reoccurrence.

Sour grapes

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Sharks had to take 2 cap dumps in Hoffman and Granland. Obviously the Sharks will try to flip them at the deadline. The first is the key.. But I do not see the top level prospect heading to the sharks that most claimed. My guess. WIth almost no retention, Sharks were not getting as much as they hoped
They'll get a mid first pick. Likely can get some value for Ruuta now and Granlund at the TDL. I don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
You actually believe they have a chance of being a bottom 10 team?
You never know what happens. Letany karlson and Malkin get hurt and miss time then what. Pens miss playoffs but win draft lottery. Those 3 don’t have the healthiest history. I don’t think they do but you can never know.

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
Like it for all the teams involved. I know it may be more controversial but i like it for the Sharks. You can now properly tank with Karlsson out, got players with cap hit gone in two years and the retention slot won't matter when you try to compete.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Surprisingly it's quite a nice trade for the Habs.

They get Petry (25% retained) and a 2nd. They will flip Petry somewhere else (probably retaining some more) for another pick.

In the process, the get rid of Hoffman and Pitlick, so when all is said and done, it's at least a 2nd for 1 year of Petry's contract and most certainly one more pick.

Nice gamble.
Problem with retaining on Petry is you lose another retention spot for 2 years. Ideally they want to get under the cap before season start with as many retention spots as possible, so they can put Price on LTIR after season start and benefit from 10 millions in cap + retention spot to maximalise asset return/future bad contracts for picks/etc.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
You actually believe they have a chance of being a bottom 10 team?
It’s weird. Almost like Karlsson was traded for a 1st that ended up being 3OA instead of a late first that everyone thought it would be.

Similar team as well. Old core going for one last kick at the can.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Might have to go outside of HF to see all the conditions.

PIT receives: D Erik Karlsson, F Rem Pitlick, F Dillion Hamaliuk, 2026 third-round pick (SJS)

SJS receives: 2024 first-round pick (PIT, top-ten protected), F Mikael Granlund, D Jan Rutta, F Mike Hoffman

MTL receives:
2025 second-round pick (PIT), D Jeff Petry, G Casey DeSmith, F Nathan Legare

San Jose is retaining $1.5MM of Karlsson’s $11.5MM cap hit through 2026-27.

Montreal is retaining no salary on Karlsson in this trade, meaning the Penguins have Karlsson at a massive $10MM cap hit for four more seasons.

Pittsburgh also retains $1.5625MM, or 25%, of Petry’s cap hit. Montreal will have him at a cap hit of $4.6875MM through 2025.

That's all in the OP if people care to expand it and read it.

Reactions: SEALBound

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad