Confirmed Trade: [MTL/PIT/SJS] Karlsson, Pitlick, Hamaliuk, SJS'26 3rd to PIT; Granlund, Hoffman, Rutta, PIT'24 1st to SJS; Petry, DeSmith, Legare, PIT'25 2nd to MTL

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Sharks got such a poor return for Karlsson because they weren't willing to retain more money on Karlsson, that's it. They weren't going to do better than a 1st plus some cap dumps if they were only willing to retain $1.5 million.

I think it's a pretty good deal all around, honestly. Karlsson is expensive for the Penguins at $10 million, but they pretty much only gave up a 1st and a 2nd for him. San Jose got a 1st and some useful players to play today (that they can likely trade for value in the future). Montreal got really good value here by just trading Pitlick (who apparently wanted out) for Petry and a 2nd.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The Sharks got such a poor return for Karlsson because they weren't willing to retain more money on Karlsson, that's it. They weren't going to do better than a 1st plus some cap dumps if they were only willing to retain $1.5 million.

I think it's a pretty good deal all around, honestly. Karlsson is expensive for the Penguins at $10 million, but they pretty much only gave up a 1st and a 2nd for him. San Jose got a 1st and some useful players to play today (that they can likely trade for value in the future). Montreal got really good value here by just trading Pitlick (who apparently wanted out) for Petry and a 2nd.

Also because aside from last season, since leaving Ottawa, Karlsson was an injury-prone 40 point offence only defenceman making 11.5M, not a high market for that.

They had to trade him while there was still at least 1 team interested.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think this is a mistake from Pitts. They just missed the playoffs and the core is not getting any younger. As a free agent or playoff mercenary I could understand, but they could miss the playoffs even with Karlsson next year. Why do they ruin their future rebuild?
We had this discussion on the Pens' board.

If you are playing a board game maybe it makes sense to cut bait and begin the rebuild early trading players like Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Jake for a small haul.

But that core brought three cups.

The Pens owe them and tge fans, if that is the players' choice to remain Pens for life which they have said it is, to allow them to ride off into the sunset in style. Give some chance for number four.

The cost was brutally minimal to do so.

Maybe the logical move may have slightly favored rebuilding now. But the hockey fan and human being move is exactly what the Pens did.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Pittsburgh is better with Karlsson but over half their team is over 30 already and now they are locked into quite a bit of money with Karlsson, Letang, and Malkin

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Scouting report on Pitlick? 26 years old , played 46 games gor the Habs last season, 123 for his career.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Surprisingly it's quite a nice trade for the Habs.

They get Petry (25% retained) and a 2nd. They will flip Petry somewhere else (probably retaining some more) for another pick.

In the process, the get rid of Hoffman and Pitlick, so when all is said and done, it's at least a 2nd for 1 year of Petry's contract and most certainly one more pick.

Nice gamble.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks only retaining 1.5 mil makes it acceptable to not have to get a second future piece. Rutta is probably tradeable for a 3rd down the road. Maybe Granlund too but not worried about that. Hoffman is just a contract dump. Sharks open a lot of space and get another 1st. I’m satisfied with this deal.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Everyone on this board is of the NHL EA video game mindset that you robotically dump and rebuild when certain players hit certain ages. The Penguins fan has seen a lot of success and a lot of Cups. They realize that Sid and the crew are going to be here regardless. The penguins fan is okay with the suboptimal because Karlsson on this team is going to be a whole lot of fun and is an effort to push the chips in to a weakened hand.

Pretty much, lol we don't care. I've seen my team win five cups. I know how this all works. I know what hell they're going to go through when they rebuild.

Don't care!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2