Confirmed Trade: [MTL/DAL] Denis Gurianov for Evgenii Dadonov (50% retained)

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Montreal seems like a horrible place to play with the merciless fans and media.
Then again, the Habs were getting destroyed by Florida the other night, and with the game thoroughly out of reach, you'd still have the crowd chanting Go Habs Go !

The crowd knows its hockey and wants to see effort, but understands a rebuild means losing seasons.

A guy who wants to work hard will be a adored, a guy who wants to slack off and be invisible will however get criticized publicly.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No one is saying it was a bad move for Montreal. They got a player that is outperforming what they had and saved money in the process.

The issue is calling Dallas and Nill idiotic for making the deal when they gave up an asset they wanted to dump, and improved their team for a playoff run this year.

It was a good move for the Habs, but it is looking like an even better move for the Stars.

The post I quoted, despite saying "anyway you spin it", was trying to "spin it" to be something it is not.

Lets see what Dadonov does for the Stars in the playoffs when it gets rougher. Not a preloaded statement... just have to wait and see cause Dadonov is on the soft side.

Gurianov as well but that extends deeper than just this season. I'm curious to see how he performs next year when the roster is more healthy. Don't underestimate MSL's ability to get the best of out of young players.

Stars didn't like the $2.9M threshold and most of us understand that. But the Habs can easily fit that in so if he breaks out next year, the deal becomes lobsided.

Reactions: Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Lets see what Dadonov does for the Stars in the playoffs when it gets rougher. Not a preloaded statement... just have to wait and see cause Dadonov is on the soft side.
He only has 4 playoffs games under his belt with 1 secondary assist. That was 3 years ago.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Did Habs fans not enjoy their recent cup run even if they had no chance of actually winning it?
Absolutely enjoyed it, and the fact that I expected my team to lose each and every round meant I was pleasantly surprised.
I wouldn't say they had no chance - they could well have made the finals and met a beaten-up team, just found a team that didn't have a solution to their specific game-plan, or Covid could have taken out (even if it was just on a precautionary basis) a few Bolts. I mean, Montreal would definitely have had a chance if Point, Kucherov, Hedman and a couple of other skaters were taken out of the lineup for 10 days...

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Gurianov as well but that extends deeper than just this season. I'm curious to see how he performs next year when the roster is more healthy. Don't underestimate MSL's ability to get the best of out of young players.

Stars didn't like the $2.9M threshold and most of us understand that. But the Habs can easily fit that in so if he breaks out next year, the deal becomes lobsided.
Dallas wasn't going to qualify him so the trade itself can never become a terrible deal for them.

The same way that if Montreal does re-sign him and his post-trade bounce fades and he becomes a bad contract in Montreal, the trade would still be good for the Habs. They got more production for less money out of his current deal.

The decision to resign him would be the good (or bad) transaction, depending on how it unfolds down the road.

As for the trade. It is a win-win and nobody did poorly.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Absolutely enjoyed it, and the fact that I expected my team to lose each and every round meant I was pleasantly surprised.
I wouldn't say they had no chance - they could well have made the finals and met a beaten-up team, just found a team that didn't have a solution to their specific game-plan, or Covid could have taken out (even if it was just on a precautionary basis) a few Bolts. I mean, Montreal would definitely have had a chance if Point, Kucherov, Hedman and a couple of other skaters were taken out of the lineup for 10 days...
Wasn't that season played in a bubble? I get what you're saying, but I don't recall any player getting COVID once they were in the bubble... could definitely be wrong though.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Well Gurianov was not contributing to Dallas and was not being signed by them. They got a guy who is kicking in points now and thinking for their playoffs he will keep it going. That was a good trade for the Stars.

Montreal was not resigning Dadanov, he would be gone as a UFA. We got a youngish player with skill to see if he could reboot things in Montreal. That's a good trade right there. The fact he is actually producing and we likely sign him for next year makes it an even better trade for the Habs.

Easy call of both sides win. No need to decide whose water is wetter.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
This has been true for many years but our new management is going to try to change that culture. MSL has already snapped at some members of the media already and Gorton/Hughes are also focused at bringing in talent so guys are not left on a island by themselves.

Building a good core with the right coach can change things. That's the plan anyways. However, it won't stop the ignorant fans of targeting players for a miss pass thinking they are a NHL coach or GM. :laugh:

One more year at $2.9M for Gurianov won't hurt us one bit. Gives him one full season with MSL and a more healthy roster to see what he can do.

Contenders would have a problem doing this cause they likely don't have the cap space. Bottom 16 teams can easily do this.
Glad to hear it's changing. I'm sure not many players wants to play in a city that is ruthless on there players.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I would have personally paid to have Gurianov off the Stars if that was an option.
Getting a productive player back for him was the cherry on top of never having to watch him screw up again. If only they could turn Suter into a used jockstrap.

• Wow
Reactions: HabsQC

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Wasn't that season played in a bubble? I get what you're saying, but I don't recall any player getting COVID once they were in the bubble... could definitely be wrong though.
I do recall the Habs coach, Dominique Ducharme, missing a bunch of games, so teams could be exposed (I don't recall if Ducharme actually got it or was just a close contact or something).

Reactions: PAZ

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Glad to hear it's changing. I'm sure not many players wants to play in a city that is ruthless on there players.

I think good management and bringing in talent does help. I don't think we will ever escape the pressure/aggression entirely but it can help reduce it. But yeah, no doubt about it, our media and fan base is ruthless

Reactions: Unspecified

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
*The pts output is still nearly even, so this remains a win-win for both clubs

The biggest benefit in Dallas (IMHO) is that Dadonov has helped fill in the gaps for us
It'll hurt to see another young player go elsewhere only to succeed, but it's clear he was stagnating on the Stars, so it is whadditis

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Then again, the Habs were getting destroyed by Florida the other night, and with the game thoroughly out of reach, you'd still have the crowd chanting Go Habs Go !

The crowd knows its hockey and wants to see effort, but understands a rebuild means losing seasons.

A guy who wants to work hard will be a adored, a guy who wants to slack off and be invisible will however get criticized publicly.
Well, that's just not true. They'll be adored unless they get a big contract.

Gallagher is shit on all the time and you can never tell me he doesn't work hard.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I would have personally paid to have Gurianov off the Stars if that was an option.
Getting a productive player back for him was the cherry on top of never having to watch him screw up again. If only they could turn Suter into a used jockstrap.
Is he actually bad or are you exaggerating? Thought he’s good defensively

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes