Confirmed Trade: [MTL/DAL] Denis Gurianov for Evgenii Dadonov (50% retained)

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Dallas fans tried to tell you but you didn't listen. The guy has the tools but no toolbox and he will show glimpses and then go invisible for long stretches.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Dallas fans tried to tell you but you didn't listen. The guy has the tools but no toolbox and he will show glimpses and then go invisible for long stretches.

Level-headed fans knew we didn't get a superstar in Gurianov, especially for Dadonov, who did practically nothing for us. (I'm glad he seems to be working out for you, though, cause he seems to be a great guy)

Still, you're right, he has great tools, but doesn't know how to use them and half the time just disappears. Very frustrating player to watch.

Well, a gamble's a gamble, especially for a UFA who wouldn't have be re-signed anyway.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If we were to keep him, and I doubt management would, I would work with him on things that don't even require hockey sense.

1) hit the weight room over the next 4 months and come back jacked, because you're frame is frail and you can't win puck battles with such a weak frame
(note this doesn't require hockey sense)

2) I would teach him (over 4 months) how to position himself along the wall to be competitive in puck battles.
(this also really doesn't require hockey sense)

Then, if he can master those two things, I work with him on playing a simple game up and down the wing, green light to shoot from anywhere in the offensive zone, and of course the big one is simplifying his game in his end and the neutral zone to not turn the puck over.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Level-headed fans knew we didn't get a superstar in Gurianov, especially for Dadonov, who did practically nothing for us. (I'm glad he seems to be working out for you, though, cause he seems to be a great guy)

Still, you're right, he has great tools, but doesn't know how to use them and half the time just disappears. Very frustrating player to watch.

Well, a gamble's a gamble, especially for a UFA who wouldn't have be re-signed anyway.
I hate seeing it honestly. I have always thought he was a good player early in his career with Dallas and then it was like a light switch just going off. Maybe he can't latch onto another team for the league minimum and find his way back. Nobody is going to pay his asking price.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I hate seeing it honestly. I have always thought he was a good player early in his career with Dallas and then it was like a light switch just going off. Maybe he can't latch onto another team for the league minimum and find his way back. Nobody is going to pay his asking price.

Yeah can't see it either, I sure hope our GM doesn't qualify him, he isn't worth the 2.9M$ it'll cost. If he wants to sign a lower priced 1 year 'show me' type of contract, I wouldn't mind, cause Habs probably won't try to compete next year either, best time for 'projects'. But yeah, the tools are there, head just doesn't seem to follow, if he used his size more, at least it would be something.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
rip denis gurietti
nevar 4getti
25l7bg0.jpg

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If we were to keep him, and I doubt management would, I would work with him on things that don't even require hockey sense.

1) hit the weight room over the next 4 months and come back jacked, because you're frame is frail and you can't win puck battles with such a weak frame
(note this doesn't require hockey sense)

2) I would teach him (over 4 months) how to position himself along the wall to be competitive in puck battles.
(this also really doesn't require hockey sense)

Then, if he can master those two things, I work with him on playing a simple game up and down the wing, green light to shoot from anywhere in the offensive zone, and of course the big one is simplifying his game in his end and the neutral zone to not turn the puck over.
I agree overall.

If he could work reasonably hard on a reasonably consistent basis, he could be a kind of Josh Anderson with less toughness but better hands and even better speed, that is to say a consistent Armia (without the defensive acumen). This guy would be a useful player in the lineup.

But I'm just not seeing the commitment required to be a solid NHLer. I can take him not taking the right defensive assignment, I can't tolerate seeing him skate back far too slowly (when we know he can skate like the wind) and not pick up anyone.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
He was better to us than Dadonov was, in the same way that a slap in the face is better than a kick in the balls

But at the end of the day, we don't need either of them

giphy.gif

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I agree overall.

If he could work reasonably hard on a reasonably consistent basis, he could be a kind of Josh Anderson with less toughness but better hands and even better speed, that is to say a consistent Armia (without the defensive acumen). This guy would be a useful player in the lineup.

But I'm just not seeing the commitment required to be a solid NHLer. I can take him not taking the right defensive assignment, I can't tolerate seeing him skate back far too slowly (when we know he can skate like the wind) and not pick up anyone.
yeah, to be a fly on the wall in the room when HuGo and MSL are talking to him about these things. I wonder what he says and thinks.

Scherbak never got it. He always thought because he was point per game in the AHL for 25 games, he should automatically have a spot in the NHL despite not winning board battles, not back checking, and turning the puck over. When he was benched for doing these things he had no idea why he was being benched - even when asked years later...

But Andrei Kostitsyn eventually became a hitting machine and a beast on the forecheck.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
yeah, to be a fly on the wall in the room when HuGo and MSL are talking to him about these things. I wonder what he says and thinks.

Scherbak never got it. He always thought because he was point per game in the AHL for 25 games, he should automatically have a spot in the NHL despite not winning board battles, not back checking, and turning the puck over. When he was benched for doing these things he had no idea why he was being benched - even when asked years later...

But Andrei Kostitsyn eventually became a hitting machine and a beast on the forecheck.
I think a lot of these guys were stars at every level, so going from being the go-to, #1 guy regardless of all those details to being bench for not doing things you never had to do before is a big transition. Some do it well - Kostitsyn did a decent job, a guy like Frolik re-invented himself and made a career out of it, and others never figure it out. It's part of what makes drafting so hard.

There's a proposal for Scherbak to go play in the ECHL in Trois-Rivières, he'd be a draw and he might consider it since his wife is from Montreal. I wonder if he's grown or evolved at all in the meantime

• Wow
Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think a lot of these guys were stars at every level, so going from being the go-to, #1 guy regardless of all those details to being bench for not doing things you never had to do before is a big transition. Some do it well - Kostitsyn did a decent job, a guy like Frolik re-invented himself and made a career out of it, and others never figure it out. It's part of what makes drafting so hard.

There's a proposal for Scherbak to go play in the ECHL in Trois-Rivières, he'd be a draw and he might consider it since his wife is from Montreal. I wonder if he's grown or evolved at all in the meantime
I'd love to see if in interviews he still doesn't understand why he never made it...

But he must at least be AHL caliber, no? Unless he's wrecked his body from partying and not taking care of himself.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
So is Dallas the champion of this trade?
Been called a win-win already… not sure what Habs won but i have seen guys getting votes on Hockeyfights getting their a** whipped so doesnt mean much.
3 goals, plus player on 3rd line. Whats not to like?

Gurianov lost last faithfuls on Pride night. Excluded on an inclusive night, brilliant. He is not counted on anymore.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Been called a win-win already… not sure what Habs won but i have seen guys getting votes on Hockeyfights getting their a** whipped so doesnt mean much.

Gurianov lost last faithfuls on Pride night. Excluded on an inclusive night, brilliant. He is not counted on anymore.
I mean like with the pride thing at least he’s Russian. Reimer and the Staals. Bros. My dawgs. Damn. Cold ass bigotry.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If either team got anything out of this, then great. There is no loser in this trade.

Yes. Not only can both teams win a trade, but not winning a trade is different than not losing.

No matter what happens going forward, I think both teams would still make this trade.

Reactions: Sports2

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
If either team got anything out of this, then great. There is no loser in this trade.
Mtl even retained 50% of Dadonov’s salary. Cant even claim to having saved a few bucks.

Dadonov had 18 pts in Mtl, Gurianov 9 in Dallas. Pattern continued 15 Dadonov, 8 Gurianov.
Hard to blame team talent…

Dadonov even wore the Pride jersey with Stars.

Win some, lose some. Minor stuff.

But got to win something to call it win-win.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Yes. Not only can both teams win a trade, but not winning a trade is different than not losing.

No matter what happens going forward, I think both teams would still make this trade.
Doing same trade again doesnt mean it was a win-win.
Taking a shot at younger guy for a rebuilding team and taking the older and better player on a playoff team are logical moves.

Lost me with « not winning a trade is different than not losing »… Sounds like Kamala Harris stuff.

Reactions: Barnaby

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Mtl even retained 50% of Dadonov’s salary. Cant even claim to having saved a few bucks.

Dadonov had 18 pts in Mtl, Gurianov 9 in Dallas. Pattern continued 15 Dadonov, 8 Gurianov.
Hard to blame team talent…

Dadonov even wore the Pride jersey with Stars.

Win some, lose some. Minor stuff.

But got to win something to call it win-win.

Salary retain means nothing from the Habs POV. We still have a retention spot left for 2022-2023 that we didn't use.

Dadonov 4 goals 18 points in 50 games (0.08 gpg, 0.36 ppg)
Gurianov 5 goals 8 points in 23 games (0.22 gpg, 0.35 ppg)

Gurianov brought more to the Habs than Dadonov did. What Dadonov is doing in Dallas is irrelevant to us.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Salary retain means nothing from the Habs POV. We still have a retention spot left for 2022-2023 that we didn't use.

Dadonov 4 goals 18 points in 50 games (0.08 gpg, 0.36 ppg)
Gurianov 5 goals 8 points in 23 games (0.22 gpg, 0.35 ppg)

Gurianov brought more to the Habs than Dadonov did. What Dadonov is doing in Dallas is irrelevant to us.

Kinda sucks that Dadonov mailed it in for the Habs. If he played the way he has been for Dallas he would've returned probably a 2nd rounder

I mean I'm thrilled he did cause he probably wouldn't be a Star right now but still sucks for the Habs

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Kinda sucks that Dadonov mailed it in for the Habs. If he played the way he has been for Dallas he would've returned probably a 2nd rounder

I mean I'm thrilled he did cause he probably wouldn't be a Star right now but still sucks for the Habs

We clearly had a lack of goalscorers (especially with the injuries) so that definitely did not help Dadonov.

He clearly wasn't motivated playing for a non_PO team though.

Reactions: Kcb12345

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007

Denis Gurianov would be back with the Canadiens next season had he scored 20 points over the final ten games, regardless of his not participating in Pride Night. Gurianov "lost faithfuls" by failing to get a single point over the final ten games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad