Confirmed Trade: [MTL/DAL] Denis Gurianov for Evgenii Dadonov (50% retained)

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Is he actually bad or are you exaggerating? Thought he’s good defensively
No, he's definitely not.
He has two assets his speed and his shot, outside of that everything about him is below average to bad. He's one of the lowest IQ players in the league.
When he's"on" he'll be good for 5-10 games. Then he'll be a useless plug for the next 30.

He's still the only player I've ever seen that thought it was a good idea to dump the puck and change in 3 on 3.
He's not another Nichushkin, where everything is there but the production. I'm still shocked they qualified him last year. He's been the worst stars forward, by a large portion, the last few years.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
He is showing skill why he was first round pick. But how long will it last?
Look at his stats in 2015… 1 pt in 8 games then 5 pts in 47. Doesnt scream goal-scorer to me. Must have been quite a shock at the draft!
Good thing Dallas got Hintz with next pick bc missing out on next picks Barzal, Connor, Chabot, Konecny, Debrusk all picked a few slots later would have been tough.
Montreal got nothing out of 2015 draft. Just like 2014 except last pick Evans. 2016 Pezzeta and Sergachev. Tough streak.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Look at his stats in 2015… 1 pt in 8 games then 5 pts in 47. Doesnt scream goal-scorer to me. Must have been quite a shock at the draft!
Good thing Dallas got Hintz with next pick bc missing out on next picks Barzal, Connor, Chabot, Konecny, Debrusk all picked a few slots later would have been tough.
Montreal got nothing out of 2015 draft. Just like 2014 except last pick Evans. 2016 Pezzeta and Sergachev. Tough streak.
No it's even more sad when you think what we should have had in the first round if any of our scouts had half a brain in the first round.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
From a Habs fan perspective, good riddance to bad garbage. Players who phone it in while making more money in a year than over 50% (random number, obviously higher) of Canadian and probably American families make in a decade is disgusting. They should be booed out of arenas.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Dadonov now has more points in 13 games ( 10 ) than Gurianov had in 43 ( 9 ) . Nice of Gurianov to score more now in Montreal but he clearly was not working in Dallas and he wasn't getting qualified at the end of the season either.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Dadonov now has more points in 13 games ( 10 ) than Gurianov had in 43 ( 9 ) . Nice of Gurianov to score more now in Montreal but he clearly was not working in Dallas and he wasn't getting qualified at the end of the season either.
Dadonov has 2 more pts than Gurianov in the last13 games played. One guy plays on a top 10 team while the other plays for a bottom 5 team. Glad the trade is working out for both teams.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He is showing skill why he was first round pick. But how long will it last?

The skill won't fade (Skating, Size, Shot). He has it. It's the hockey IQ area and 200' game he needs improvement at and the Stars gave up on it. MSL will work with him and the Habs do have the cap room to bring him back at $2.9M for one more season to see if we can get him to play more consistent and be trusted in the 200' area.

He's an interesting young player just touching his prime. Who knows if he improves more.

Last edited:

LG18

May 10, 2013
Montreal
Gave the puck too many times to the Bruins yesterday, sometimes in a bone-headed fashion.

He's scoring at a decent rate right now, but the cons outweigh the pros so far.

I wouldn't qualify him.

Reactions: Eegs

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Gave the puck too many times to the Bruins yesterday, sometimes in a bone-headed fashion.

He's scoring at a decent rate right now, but the cons outweigh the pros so far.

I wouldn't qualify him.

It's a pretty expensive qualify for what he brings . He's just not worth that kind of money . At this point minimum contract to 1-1.5 mil per season shortterm as a show me deal he'll get but nothing else.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I don't think we will qualify him either. Maybe we retain him if he accepts a lower salary deal.

Reactions: Benstheman

LG18

May 10, 2013
Montreal
It's a pretty expensive qualify for what he brings . He's just not worth that kind of money . At this point minimum contract to 1-1.5 mil per season shortterm as a show me deal he'll get but nothing else.
I'd honestly let him walk.

I don't think MTL really needs the 2nd coming of Joel Armia.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

You can't find a worst comparative than Armia. While Armia is pratically only useful defensively (when he plays), Gurianov is the exact opposite. That being said, neither of them are elite at what they do. Both mediocre players imo but tools on Gurianov are intriguing.

I certainly would give him one more year since we are not ready to compete yet. Maybe he can figure it out a bit better defensively and become a useful 3rd liner with time on the PP.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Armia is a different type IMO. He's so good at protecting the puck, but rarely makes anything happen with it, often trying to do it all himself. He is a good defensive player.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Not that much of a fan, I can see why Dallas let him go. Tools are there but not sure he'll put it together. Rather have the cap space.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

We totally understand why Gurianov was traded. Dadonov provides some value for the playoff run and you escape the $2.9M arbitration cap hit. I'm assuming the Stars don't have that cap room and/or rather not insert that cap hit for next year?

I am curious though. Dadonov was playing OK for the Habs but he is a undersized soft forward and I do wonder how he turns the needle in the playoffs. Before this trade was made, I would have assumed the Stars would have gotten a better return than Dadonov cause if he was traded for a draft pick, we were looking at a 3rd rounder maybe? Or worse? At that point, I would have assumed Gurianov had more value than a 3rd rounder.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
We totally understand why Gurianov was traded. Dadonov provides some value for the playoff run and you escape the $2.9M arbitration cap hit. I'm assuming the Stars don't have that cap room and/or rather not insert that cap hit for next year?

I am curious though. Dadonov was playing OK for the Habs but he is a undersized soft forward and I do wonder how he turns the needle in the playoffs. Before this trade was made, I would have assumed the Stars would have gotten a better return than Dadonov cause if he was traded for a draft pick, we were looking at a 3rd rounder maybe? Or worse? At that point, I would have assumed Gurianov had more value than a 3rd rounder.

Denis is 25 and turns 26 in June and has been underwhelming for the past 2.5 seasons. He was good in his rookie season and the playoff bubble but since then nothing . 30 point guy who occasionally shows amazing flashes . There isn't much value in that and the Stars wanted a guy who can help right now not a midround pick who may not may not become an NHL player in 4-6 years.

Reactions: smitty10

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
From a Habs fan perspective, good riddance to bad garbage. Players who phone it in while making more money in a year than over 50% (random number, obviously higher) of Canadian and probably American families make in a decade is disgusting. They should be booed out of arenas.
Dadonov makes $6.5 million this season, so a family would need to make $650,000 USD/ year to make $6.5 million in a decade. This means he makes more this season than 99% of Canadian and American families will make over the next ten years.

• Wow
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Denis is 25 and turns 26 in June and has been underwhelming for the past 2.5 seasons. He was good in his rookie season and the playoff bubble but since then nothing . 30 point guy who occasionally shows amazing flashes . There isn't much value in that and the Stars wanted a guy who can help right now not a midround pick who may not may not become an NHL player in 4-6 years.
Dadonov will likely be out of the NHL as soon as next season! lol

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Same goes for Guri. Much cheaper and much younger....much bigger... less softer...much faster and better shot.

What if you just want a support player that can make simple passing plays to obviously much better players ? Gurianov was never able to do that. We didn't need much from him and he still couldn't deliver that,

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What if you just want a support player that can make simple passing plays to obviously much better players ? Gurianov was never able to do that.
Gurianov doesn't have to do that. He's a finisher and a surprising puck-carrier / play driver in the limited exposure he has had with the Habs.

Also, he doesn't bail in the corners... He actually has a set of balls.

• Haha
Reactions: Nikki Potnick

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Gurianov doesn't have to do that. He's a finisher and a surprising puck-carrier / play driver in the limited exposure he has had with the Habs.

Also, he doesn't bail in the corners... He actually has a set of balls.

But he's not good enough of a scorer to warrant him beeing the focal point of a lines offense which is what he needed to be successful in Dallas . He was like the 6-8th best scorer on the Stars .

We just needed a guy who can pass the puck decently the teams better finishers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad