Confirmed Trade: [MTL/DAL] Denis Gurianov for Evgenii Dadonov (50% retained)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
But he's not good enough of a scorer to warrant him beeing the focal point of a lines offense which is what he needed to be successful in Dallas . He was like the 6-8th best scorer on the Stars .

We just needed a guy who can pass the puck decently the teams better finishers.
He's scoring pretty effectively with the Habs. Sometimes a change in scenery, responsibility and change in team systems brings out a players attributes.

Habs needed a guy with size and speed that could score, carry the puck and not bail in the corners. Dadonov was not that guy. Glad he's working out for Dallas. Look forward to watching Dadonov in the playoffs to see if he man's up.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Happy for Gurianov. He has all the talent in the world and needed a change of scenery. He’ll be ok.

That said- wouldn’t call Nill an idiot, especially given how the team’s positioned now and in the future compared to others. He gave Guri half a decade and four coaches to figure it out here. Dadonov is a worlds better fit for this Stars roster/a contender and it shows with his chem with Johnston and Benn. Gurianov has the worst underlyings on Montreal by a lot and is shooting 7% above his career average, which includes his big season in 2019 and his big playoff run. Small sample size, but they just need him to score and go fast right now. When they ask more than that is when shit may go south. Sign him for a couple years at like 3 or so to keep the Bell popping during the rebuild, but I wouldn’t expect him to change your world.

That's the question I have of him: can he be a useful player if he scores 25 a year, 40 points, but doesn't do much else - including simplifying his game to not turn the puck over. But not doing much else, I would assume will mean losing a lot of board battles and squandering offensive opportunities.

We'll see. Anderson is rounding into a much better player after a year of MSL heavily working with him on his game. He can use his linemates better, and while he used to be a liability in his own zone, he's now killing penalties.

Montreal fans shouldn't be shocked that their cast-off's are succeeding in Dallas. Isn't that right Mr. Ribeiro? Maaaaybe it's the organization not utilizing players strengths and putting them in their proper roles to succeed. :dunno:
It absolutely is. But your post should say organizations, plural. Gonchar was great for us after we traded Travis Moen to you for him. And we'll see if Gurianov rounds into form in a new organization.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Montreal fans shouldn't be shocked that their cast-off's are succeeding in Dallas. Isn't that right Mr. Ribeiro? Maaaaybe it's the organization not utilizing players strengths and putting them in their proper roles to succeed. :dunno:

Are you really using an example from 20 years and 3 management groups ago ? One that was actually a good player with Montreal too ?

The problem with Dadonov is he never wanted to play here. It was apparent from day 1 when he came out of shape. He tried about as hard as you did with that post.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
That is a good comparison. Both Dadonov and Ribeiro are worthless scumbags. I won't be surprised if Dadonov does well in Dallas. He refused to show up with the Habs because he is a moron. he should have been doing his best to up his value so he would be sure to be traded. Instead he did nothing despite being given good linemates and a great coach. He was lucky to get moved.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
End of reg season stats post trade.

Dadonov
3 goals 12 assists 15 points in 23 games

Gurianov
5 goals 3 assists 8 points in 23 games

Didn't add +- as its a useless stat that doesn't show true weight on a good Dallas team vs bad Montreal team

Dadonov better stat's but on a good 2nd line with great opportunity for the Stars.

Gurianov with great moments but inconsistent.

Fair trade, both players playing better on new team, both unlikely to return next season, let's see what else Dadonov can do in playoffs given he has little experience there

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Dadonov

Gurianov

Didn't add +- as its a useless stat that doesn't show true weight on a good Dallas team vs bad Montreal team

Dadonov better stat's but on a good 2nd line with great opportunity for the Stars.

Fair trade, both players playing better on new team, both unlikely to return next season, let's see what else Dadonov can do in playoffs given he has little experience there
Point of order

There are people who believe +/- is the most important stat(and no I am not one of them).

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Dadonov

Gurianov

I believe the plan for the Habs is to bring Gurianov back even though he hasn't exactly wowed outside of a few flashes here and there. Whether they will qualify him or not, that's another question.

Reactions: Laus723

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
I believe the plan for the Habs is to bring Gurianov back even though he hasn't exactly wowed outside of a few flashes here and there. Whether they will qualify him or not, that's another question.
Dallas wanted immediate help and got it. Dadonov has a 78 pt linemate Benn on 3rd line so that helps.
Mtl wanted future help, not sure they will get it. To me Gurianov is gone.
Not sure how you can spin fair trade when Dadonov was outproducing Gurianov 18-9 even on a « bad » Mtl team. Traded away best player who is still best player, no surprise there.
Mtl lost that one but not a big deal. Tried something, didnt work out.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
I hope the Habs don't plan to bring back Denis Gurianov. His playing style (all offense, no defense, no physical play) is top-6, but his results are bottom-6. I wouldn't sign him for league minimum, much less what he would be due from a qualifying offer.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I hope the Habs don't plan to bring back Denis Gurianov. His playing style (all offense, no defense, no physical play) is top-6, but his results are bottom-6. I wouldn't sign him for league minimum, much less what he would be due from a qualifying offer.
We already have one Armia, we don't need a second one so I'd let him go.

Reactions: HabsQC

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
With what we've seen of Gurianov, I don't want him back.

His game has so many flaws, and his scoring just isn't enough to make up for them.... if he was scoring 40, you work around the flaws by getting him responsible linemates and being careful with matchups, but he just isn't good enough to justify that.

If he wanted to show up every game and play a decently responsible game and score 25, he could be an asset, but he just doesn't have that consistency in him, apparently.

I'd rather play a hard-working AHLer, give a kid a chance or grab someone off waivers than keep Gurianov around.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
If you could have Gurianov for less, I could see the fit..
I think he's talented and never found the correct fit.

buuuut I'm also glad we moved on from him and found someone to help the Stars make some plays :)

Reactions: Laus723

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Gurianov has not made enough to warrant receiving his QO from Montreal.

I’m not even sure I would bring him back. If you’re gonna try a longshot in the top 9, I think I would roll the dice on Monahan being healthy next year before Gurianov panning out

Reactions: sergejean

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Funny player. He's so invisible until he suddenly scores or generates a great chance. But nothing for the rest of his TOI.

Could be a useful Swiss army knife bottom 6er, but I wouldn't pay more than a mil for him.

It wouldn't shock me if he finds his game one day though because he has the tools.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
nothing gained, nothing lost for the Habs
Revisiting the thread, like in most trades, one fan base expected very little and the other overreacted thinking they « won another trade ».

As of today the first fan base is happy with their guy, the other well not so much and now calling it a draw.

Reactions: Stubu and Laus723

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Revisiting the thread, like in most trades, one fan base expected very little and the other overreacted thinking they « won another trade ».

As of today the first fan base is happy with their guy, the other well not so much and now calling it a draw.
Now hang on, I was told Nill was an idiot for this. Where’s that factor in?

Reactions: Satan and Laus723

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Habs fans will like Gurianov probably at first. Loads of speed, one of the fastest players in the NHL for sure. Also a big one timer that I'm sure will get him a couple of goals down the stretch here.

Unfortunately, he's also one of the lowIQ players in the NHL hockey-wise which ultimately limits his upside significantly. He's also extremely lost in his own zone and a major liability there. Good for a tanking team tho.
Accurate prediction here...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3