Confirmed with Link: [MTL/BUF] Beaulieu to BUF for 3rd (Part II)

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Pretty much. It is an indictment on Berg and he is functioning like a GM who is a little desperate and worried about his job.

Drouin is a good edition on its own, but he gave up a D-man that we actually need. Our D is much worse now. Less dynamic. There are too many holes and not enough pieces to trade for to fill these holes.

Drafting and development is so important but yet he hired Therrien and Lefebvre and has made some very questionable moves.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Pretty much. It is an indictment on Berg and he is functioning like a GM who is a little desperate and worried about his job.

Drouin is a good edition on its own, but he gave up a D-man that we actually need. Our D is much worse now. Less dynamic. There are too many holes and not enough pieces to trade for to fill these holes.

Drafting and development is so important but yet he hired Therrien and Lefebvre and has made some very questionable moves.

Yep, no amount of GM wheeling and dealing (UFA signing, trades) can overcome a decade of poor drafting and player development. That's the life blood of a successful organization.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Bob McKenize saying the same thing today that i said the day NB was traded....

Let's see what the 3rd rounder is traded for in the coming weeks..

https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/status/876806138171228162
Chris Nichols‏ @NicholsOnHockey 13m13 minutes ago

McKenzie: "Not prepared to criticize the Beaulieu trade" until I see other pieces of the puzzle in place for #Habs.

“Now, in terms of what the Montreal Canadiens defense is going to look like – you can’t judge just yet. I’m not prepared to criticize the Beaulieu trade until I see what other piece of the puzzle Marc Bergevin either has in place or will put in place. I know they tried real hard to get Marco Scandella out of Minnesota over the past number of days. They weren’t able to do that. Scandella is now apparently available in the expansion draft to Vegas, along with Matt Dumba – unless Minnesota cuts a deal with Vegas or has cut a deal with Vegas to protect that and not lose them.

“So the challenge then becomes for Marc Bergevin – well, if you want Scandella and couldn’t get him from Minnesota, maybe you can call George McPhee, do a deal with him and have them select (Scandella) – unless, as I said, a deal is already in place with Minnesota.

“So it’s going to be an interesting week. I think we’ve got to wait before we say the Canadiens made a bad deal for Beaulieu to see how all of the pieces fit together. If they use that third-round pick to go get another defenseman to get a defenseman that’s better than Beaulieu, maybe they’ve done a better job.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There is no reason for us to not have developed Beaulieu into a good Dman. He was a sure bet to make the NHL, and we still struggled to get the most out of him. Very disappointed.
When people point to drafting as being our problem, this guy and Galchenyuk really underscore that development is the real issue.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Beaulieu for a pick and Gorges for a pick it's the same kind of trade.

Cap issues. Beaulieu (a 5th d-man or 4th d-man max) is worth 1-1.5 M max on the cap but he will want more so he's gone.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I don't care what the 3rd rounder is traded for... it's a dumb trade.

read the article ...https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/status/876806138171228162

“I’m sure that Marc Bergevin has been trying for awhile to move him,†said NHL Insider Bob McKenzie during a Monday morning radio hit on Montreal’s TSN 690. “The problem that you’re running into now is there are so many potential players available in trade. So basically anybody who is left unprotected could be had.

“And what I mean by that is if you can’t cut a deal with the team that left him unprotected, then you can maybe cut a deal with Vegas to pick that player and give them something in exchange for it. So there’s kind of a glut on the market right now. It’s probably not an ideal time to be trading a defenseman.

“And what it said to me was that Marc Bergevin and the Montreal Canadiens had gone as far as they were going to go with Nathan Beaulieu, and that in their minds a third-round pick was the best they can do.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Too much. I guess we tried to get him with salary retained and Wild didn't bite.

But if we lose Emelin to Expansion, Scandella could replace him for the same salary.

I figure that also, Minny wouldn't eat any $$...

Bonus is now, Habs see all the other D avail with Vegas...go chase one of those guys down...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I really don't understand how some people can pretend that this :

Markov-Weber
Emelin-Petry
Davidson-Benn

Is not worse than that :

Markov-Weber
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Benn

I don't know when Davidson became either a 30 points dman or a stud defensively. Every games i saw him last year he looked average at the very best both side of the ice.

Petry-Emelin and Beaulieu-Benn is two pairing made of a PMD able to do around 30 points and a guy bringing either defensive or physicality. Depending on which pairing has the best night you can distribute TOI accordingly between the two.

Also Beaulieu right now is the best options we got on the 2nd PP unit. I can understand the move if Beaulieu is asking for 3+ million for many years. But we don't know right now. We'll have to wait to see Beaulieu's next contract. Taxes in Buffalo are very close to Montreal so it's safe to say any contract Beaulieu would have signed here would be close to what he will sign there.

Let's wait and see what MB does and how much Beaulieu is willing to accept. But for now this move doesn't make any sense. And if the current defense group is the one starting the season it's not positive at all.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Rielly is very young, a full year younger! Wow!

Is Vatanen very old? He's two years older than Beaulieu, you know!

Doubt Beaulieu signs anywhere close to that amount, which would theoretically make him even more valuable.

But perspective sure is a beautiful thing. Let's run Beaulieu out of town for a 3rd round pick, because defensemen producing at the same rate around the league earn 4M+! Wait, is that a bad thing?

I guess we'll see what he signs for. At any rate he needs to be signed. Either way I like the trade because #68 is a nice pick and fair value for Beaulieu given the circumstances. If his contract is more than what the Habs would want to pay, all the better idea to trade him.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

Markov-Weber
Emelin-Petry
Davidson-Benn

Is not worse than that :

Markov-Weber
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Benn

I don't know when Davidson became either a 30 points dman or a stud defensively. Every games i saw him last year he looked average at the very best both side of the ice.

Petry-Emelin and Beaulieu-Benn is two pairing made of a PMD able to do around 30 points and a guy bringing either defensive or physicality. Depending on which pairing has the best night you can distribute TOI accordingly between the two.

Also Beaulieu right now is the best options we got on the 2nd PP unit. I can understand the move if Beaulieu is asking for 3+ million for many years. But we don't know right now. We'll have to wait to see Beaulieu's next contract. Taxes in Buffalo are very close to Montreal so it's safe to say any contract Beaulieu would have signed here would be close to what he will sign there.

Let's wait and see what MB does and how much Beaulieu is willing to accept. But for now this move doesn't make any sense. And if the current defense group is the one starting the season it's not positive at all.

This will not be our defense pairings on 1st game and you know it.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Can't wait for next year's discussion points.

"Beaulieu developed into a top 4 D under Housley. That never would have happened with us. We don't have a Housley. Good trade still."

"Galchenyuk develops into top centre under Doug Weight. We don't have a Doug Weight. Still a good trade."

"The team is fine how it is. Maybe some new coaches but I trust Julien."

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

"Beaulieu developed into a top 4 D under Housley. That never would have happened with us. We don't have a Housley. Good trade still."

"Galchenyuk develops into top centre under Doug Weight. We don't have a Doug Weight. Still a good trade."

Yep, just like it happened with all the other slugs he's traded away...

Tinordi
Gorges
Eller
Diaz (Lol)
Louis Leblanc
Kristo

All these superstars we had sure as $hit exploded elsewhere...

Give me a break.

Beaulieu was the last 1st round pick from the previous admin and like most of the other ones, he wasn't worth much.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

Or it will be like Sekac (KHL), Pateryn (7th D), Eller (3rd C 25-30 pts a season, Smith-Pelly (4th liner) and Tinordi (AHL/Bust).

The big problem is we suck at drafting. ( I know we only drafted Tinordi on that list )

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
All these superstars we had sure as $hit exploded elsewhere...

Give me a break.

Beaulieu was the last 1st round pick from the previous admin and like most of the other ones, he wasn't worth much.

But he was worth more than a 3rd round pick. Unless this pick is exactly what VGK asked for in order to give us something we want, it is poor asset management.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I guess we'll see what he signs for. At any rate he needs to be signed. Either way I like the trade because #68 is a nice pick and fair value for Beaulieu given the circumstances. If his contract is more than what the Habs would want to pay, all the better idea to trade him.

A #68 pick has about a 15% chance of making the NHL and playing more games than Beaulieu has played just so far in his career.

It's NOT a good return, pantoute.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I wish this would be sarcasm. But sadly it's been true for the last 25 years.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007

If Beaulieu progresses it's because maybe he got the wake up call to stop acting like a teenager looking for house parties.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
My concern is why in the world we would have any interest in getting Scandella. I don't know what we offered but who cares, what's the point ?

If we get a guy to play with Weber then Markov is 3rd D playing with Petry and we have guys for the bottom pairing. If we don't and Markov stays on the top pair does Scandella really improve us at 2nd pair over what we have ? No.

I just can't square the fact that the astute GM who pulled off that Drouin trade is the GM who tried to pull this trade for Scandella ( in Bob we trust ) and is about to trade Chucky.

Jul 6, 2016

Markov-Weber
Emelin-Petry
Davidson-Benn

Is not worse than that :

Markov-Weber
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Benn

Because it isn't. It's the SAME !

Jul 6, 2016
My concern is why in the world we would have any interest in getting Scandella. I don't know what we offered but who cares, what's the point ?

If we get a guy to play with Weber then Markov is 3rd D playing with Petry and we have guys for the bottom pairing. If we don't and Markov stays on the top pair does Scandella really improve us at 2nd pair over what we have ? No.

I just can't square the fact that the astute GM who pulled off that Drouin trade is the GM who tried to pull this trade for Scandella ( in Bob we trust ) and is about to trade Chucky.

Pure speculation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad